Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We are looking to the TS community to come through and put together a AT - Manual conversion that might as well have been done by Toyota. We are looking for everyone's experiences with such an endeavor and what they would have done differently. Our project depends on you guys, we need your help please.

What we will not talk about:

Adapters that mate the V160 to the UZFE motors.
Multi disk clutches that are impossible to drive.
Hydraulic Throwout Bearings

What we are looking for:

Custom bellhousing that will mate the V161 to the 2UZFE
Flywheel, pressure plate and clutch that will work with such a mate

Has anyone got Quarter Master to put together flywheel, pressure plate and clutch for the UZ?

As mentioned before, we would like this to look as factory as possible, practical (driveable), and easily reproducible.

Mod gurus please enlighten us with your wisdom, you know who you are....

Please do not tell me to search the forums, I have memorized ScottURNot and UZTT's conversion thread

Thanks in Advnaced,

Nick from Toronto

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if this applies:
I have a 1UZFE mated to an R151/dual t-case trans. using a bellhousing from CastleMaineRodshop in AU. It uses toyota 3vz clutch/flywheel. Clean setup. Installing in my 87runner hopefully this summer :)
they may have an option already for the 2uz

BH-106T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thanks for you response, did the 3vz flywheel mate nicely on the 1UZ? Did the starter ring gear and bolt pattern line up? Thanks in advanced!

Nick

Not sure if this applies:
I have a 1UZFE mated to an R151/dual t-case trans. using a bellhousing from CastleMaineRodshop in AU. It uses toyota 3vz clutch/flywheel. Clean setup. Installing in my 87runner hopefully this summer :)
they may have an option already for the 2uz

BH-106T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the bellhosing:
I saw that the V160/1 has an integral bellhousing or front gearbox casing. these will be harder to weave than say a W or R series bellhousing (hence the availability).

On the flywheel:
I have been talking to the clutch guys QM, Fidanza and JB Racing, and it is a matter of sending the flexplate (for bolt, and ring gear pattern), clutch and pressure plate (to match the provisions), and they will manufacture a lightened flywheel out of aluminum.

If I have overlooked anything, or you gents see a problem with the approach please let me know.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Hello Nick,

When you have some time, take a look at the link below. It's an old project of mine that involved swapping an RA60 6 speed Tacoma transmission into my 93 Land Cruiser. The RA60 has an integral bellhousing, a custom bellhousing was considered, but since the project was a one off, we adapted the RA60 by welding part of the automatic trans. bellhousing to it. You will likely find the custom flywheel a little more interesting. Just an example of what can be done... good luck with the swap.

FZJ80 + Taco 6 speed + Orion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Brian,

That flywheel is beautiful. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to machine such a stout piece. Do you believe that it would have also worked with a V161? I would love to have something similar with the provisions to accept the V161 oem clutch and PP.

Nick

Hello Nick,

When you have some time, take a look at the link below. It's an old project of mine that involved swapping an RA60 6 speed Tacoma transmission into my 93 Land Cruiser. The RA60 has an integral bellhousing, a custom bellhousing was considered, but since the project was a one off, we adapted the RA60 by welding part of the automatic trans. bellhousing to it. You will likely find the custom flywheel a little more interesting. Just an example of what can be done... good luck with the swap.

FZJ80 + Taco 6 speed + Orion

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
The flywheel was built by some friends of mine at the machine shop I use. I doubt it would work for the UZ/V161 combo. The point of me posting is show how feasable your project is, you just need to find the folks to help you do it... and they might even be local to you, or someone else in your group.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Brian,

Thank you so much for everything. Just out of curiosity what would impede a flywheel's ability to be used with a wide range of transmissions? Where would the problems arise when say attempting to bolt your flywheel onto my motor and tranny combo. The reason I am asking is because I want know what to look for and ask the flywheel people when asking them to manufacture the flywheel for the 2UZ->V161.

Thanks in Advanced,

Nick.

The flywheel was built by some friends of mine at the machine shop I use. I doubt it would work for the UZ/V161 combo. The point of me posting is show how feasable your project is, you just need to find the folks to help you do it... and they might even be local to you, or someone else in your group.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen people claim that the flywheels from 3 and 5VZ motors have been used on the 1UZ. Has anyone here tried to do this? Please share your experiences on the issue

Nick

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's an adapter that I helped develop. I came up with the design, TTC Performance tweaked it and mass produced it.

I have also taken a Supra TT flywheel milled off the ring gear teeth, then fit the 1UZ ring gear on. The holes for bolting the flywheel to the engine also need to be spaced a little further outward.

This was as of a few years ago. I have the UZ motor and transmission together, but I have not finished the conversion (this was for a 1/2/3UZ in a Supra). It's weird that I just happened to log in to tundrasolutions after a year or two absence, to see this thread :)

I used the Supra flywheel to avoid all the multi-disc custom clutch solutions. My plan was to use a heavy duty flywheel and either kevlar disc from Southbend Clutch or one of the hybrid metal discs.

Who knows, maybe some day I will get around to finishing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Turbo Andrew,

I have purchased the TTC plate. Thank you so much for bringing to my attention the original creator of the piece. So now you have a modified 2JZGTE flywheel bolted onto a 1UZ. Does this mean you have your bases covered when it comes to using OEM clutch and pressure palte?
My next question is, how do you see the fork and slave cylinder lining up?

Thanks in Advanced!

There's an adapter that I helped develop. I came up with the design, TTC Performance tweaked it and mass produced it.

I have also taken a Supra TT flywheel milled off the ring gear teeth, then fit the 1UZ ring gear on. The holes for bolting the flywheel to the engine also need to be spaced a little further outward.

This was as of a few years ago. I have the UZ motor and transmission together, but I have not finished the conversion (this was for a 1/2/3UZ in a Supra). It's weird that I just happened to log in to tundrasolutions after a year or two absence, to see this thread :)

I used the Supra flywheel to avoid all the multi-disc custom clutch solutions. My plan was to use a heavy duty flywheel and either kevlar disc from Southbend Clutch or one of the hybrid metal discs.

Who knows, maybe some day I will get around to finishing it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, the intention was to make use of all stock or stock-like parts for clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch fork, throwout bearing, etc. I wanted as few custom parts as possible. There are zero issues with the fork and slave cylinder. There is actually no difference in the distance between the fork/clutch assembly and the flywheel, compared to a 2JZGTE and with v160. The 2JZGTE rear flange actually sticks out further than the *UZ motors, by 3/4". That "gap" is made up exactly with the thickness of the adapter, for a net 0 change. So, no adjustments to the fork and slave cylinder should need to be made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Andrew,

This is the most feasible, practical and best approach I have seen yet. We have decided to follow suite.

Thank you so much for your help.

Nick.

Yes, the intention was to make use of all stock or stock-like parts for clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch fork, throwout bearing, etc. I wanted as few custom parts as possible. There are zero issues with the fork and slave cylinder. There is actually no difference in the distance between the fork/clutch assembly and the flywheel, compared to a 2JZGTE and with v160. The 2JZGTE rear flange actually sticks out further than the *UZ motors, by 3/4". That "gap" is made up exactly with the thickness of the adapter, for a net 0 change. So, no adjustments to the fork and slave cylinder should need to be made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts