Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 2010 Tundra TRD on Saturday. Been thinking the truck is nice, but needs something else, like bigger and more agressive tires. I'm not a hardcore off roader, so not really interested in putting on a full suspension lift and huge tires. Just want something for the occasionall off roading and to make it look like it should.

I don't know much about the leveling kits, but it sounds like that may be a good option to be able to upsize tires. Question is, with the leveling kits, on a Tundra, what size tires will work? I have the stock 275/65R18s now. Also are there taller tires that will work on the existing wheels? I may eventually upgrade the rims but probably not yet.

Anyone have pics of just leveling kit and tire upgrades?

·
Registered
422 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Here is mine, 305BFG AT KO's with a Toytec 2.5" Front 1"rear level lift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ugo4it and radiantredtrd! I likey! What was involved in putting on the level kits? Did you have someone install it? Besides trimming the skid plate is there anything else that has to be done?

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed the LRO 3" kit myself in my driveway with basic tools. I took my time it is all very simple. No other modifications were needed. I am waiting for my rear swaybar and will install it in a week or two. I love the look of the lift and larger tires. I am sure you will also.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
There is so much information on this site about lifts and tire sizes...
I have Bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks set on the top level for 2.5" of lift. I also have BFG AT's on stock trd wheels.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had my dealer, Pauly Toyota install it and the tires, the also trimmed the skid plate for me. They will warranty the work in case anything goes wrong if they install it.

With an in-coil spacer like Toytec you need a strut compressor, a lift that sits on top of the strut assembly is just bolted on. You could install both yourself but I just don't have the patience and cant afford to not have a truck for a day if something went wrong.
Pic of an in-coil spacer: (Its the silver thing just above the tire)

With my level lift and the 305's i'm getting about 13-14mpg just so you know, be prepared for an mpg loss.

If you tow or haul anything go with a 2.5/1 level lift and not a 3/1. A 2.5/1 will leave a little bit of rake in the truck so the back doest squat when you tow or haul. If your not towing or hauling very much they id say do the 3/1 because it will actually level the truck.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
...And other than the skid plate you don't have to do anything else, the tires will not rub. :tu: In addition your obviously going to need a front end alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts