Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this typical? Looks like I’ve lost 2 miles per gallon. I primarily drive an FJ Cruiser. I did the 5100s on it (raising the front 1.5”) and it still exactly at 20 mpg. I raised the front of my 2012 Double Cab 4 x 4, and I’m not getting as miles per tank. Must really effect the wind resistance, I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you didn't do so already, you really NEED to have the front end aligned by a competent shop since the addition of the 5100s will have changed the suspension geometry.

The two primary factors affecting gas mileage--aside from the right foot--are vehicle weight and wind resistance. OK, so you messed with the wind resistance and your mileage dropped. Now you need to decide if you want to further mess with the wind resistance and try to improve the gas mileage--may not be cost-effective. I just added the TRD front skid plate to our new 2019 Platinum (no factory skid plates) and it sure looks like that might improve the wind resistance by smoothing out the underside. I'll let you know if our mileage improves or not. Also, that skid plate costs over $400, so it may be a looong time before there's a break-even point on that purchase. But, I didn't buy the skid plate to improve my aerodynamics--just hoping that may be a side benefit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts