Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a leveling kit on my Tundra(06 double cab 4x4) and would like to know which ones are best for keeping the factory ride. I have seen most of the kits available while searching the internet, however, I am not sure which one really keep the factory ride. Also, it seems most are priced over $200. I have seen other kits for other makes for under $100 and made of steel, not a composite. I was told the 3" lift was recommended. Any input or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
No spacer out there will level your truck AND keep the factory ride. Try looking into the Bilstien lift coilovers.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
3" lift was recommended? for looks only. with the 3", you will NOT get factory ride quality. i have toyotec 3" and boy it sure is a bumpy ride. but as for now, i'm ok with it. from what i have heard form people on this board, if you want factory ride quality, go with coilovers. yes, expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get the coilovers! I toiled over the same thing and went for the Bilstiens

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Get the coilovers! I toiled over the same thing and went for the Bilstiens
yup, coilovers are the deal for the tundra.

Whoever said 3" is prime? It's widely known on this forum that a 2.5" is max for stock stuffs. After 2.5" you are getting into necessary replacements of other front end items so your truck doesn't bust under the new bend. As for the leveling, if you DO get the level instead of the suspension, get the 2" (or the 2.5") from a dependable name. Tuff Country has one, I believe it's polyurathene inserts. Costs about $130 and most shops will install for about $200. I guarantee in a year you'll want the real suspension and not the leveler. Start saving your dough, it'll ring you up around a G. It's a hard number to swallow if you're on a tight budget...I'm still chewing on it right now.:eek:

DevinSixtySeven has a great FAQ in his sig (it's actually half a novel of a post). But it is a goldmine of information.:tu: :tu:

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.I guess what I am looking for is just a kit to bring the front end up and keep the factory ride. I really don't want to install a suspension lift. I had them on my Tacomas and they ride a little stiff. My brother has a kit on his F150 that kept the factory ride and raised the front up 2.5". The truck performance shop I spoke to recommended a 3" leveling kit, I guess b/c that is what they sell. If I understand what you are saying, anything over 2.5" will affect the diff angles? Is 2.5" the max I should use? I only want the truck to look level and to be able go up a tire size.

Thanks

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Is 2.5" the max I should use? I only want the truck to look level and to be able go up a tire size.
Do some searches bro, there is a wealth of free knowledge in this forum.

You drive an '06, I drive an '05. Your Tundra came with those Trail Rug tires right? 265/70/16's were on mine. God I hate them. I skid out in the rain constantly...the safe driver feeling is out the window.

Without a lift of any kind you can fit 265/75/16's in there, and you'll notice a difference. BUT if you get 2.5" of level or lift, I believe you can put 285/75 up in there with no major rubbin probs. If you want a bigger look, check out the 255/85's BFG makes.

The cheapest option with minimal longterm angst would be (in my opinion). Do the 2 or 2.5" level. Keep the stock wheels. Get the 265/75's. I don't think you'll regret it.

Search around on here for people using the same build. After the front-end gets level, it looks sooo nice. Getting rid of that factory nosedive helps tons.:tu:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Do not listen to the people that tell you to put a 3" spacer on a 4x, they have no idea what they are talking about. Listen to the people above RUN A COILOVER!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Just installed SAW coilovers and my ride is just a tad stiffer than stock and I love it. I'm so glad I listened to all the guys who told me coilovers and NOT spacer lifts. Best thing is, I can adjust my lift 0-3" and not stuck with what I have installed. Got them for $695 and installed them myself. I'm stuffing 295/70-17 under it in a few days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do some searches bro, there is a wealth of free knowledge in this forum.

You drive an '06, I drive an '05. Your Tundra came with those Trail Rug tires right? 265/70/16's were on mine. God I hate them. I skid out in the rain constantly...the safe driver feeling is out the window.

Without a lift of any kind you can fit 265/75/16's in there, and you'll notice a difference. BUT if you get 2.5" of level or lift, I believe you can put 285/75 up in there with no major rubbin probs. If you want a bigger look, check out the 255/85's BFG makes.

The cheapest option with minimal longterm angst would be (in my opinion). Do the 2 or 2.5" level. Keep the stock wheels. Get the 265/75's. I don't think you'll regret it.

Search around on here for people using the same build. After the front-end gets level, it looks sooo nice. Getting rid of that factory nosedive helps tons.:tu:

There is a wealth of free knowledge out there. The more I look, the more I am not sure which one to use, if that makes sence. All I want to do is level the truck, keep the stock ride, or as much of it as possible, and add a 285/75/17 BFG A/T. The info I am getting from this forum is very helpfull. I still am not sure if I want to do the coil over springs... I travel alot..49k on the truck since september 06. So the ride is important...I will keep looking and researching leveling kits...I always look exstensively before making a choice... Thanks again for the info.. Anyone else have any suggestions or imput...feel free to let me know...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
There is a wealth of free knowledge out there. The more I look, the more I am not sure which one to use, if that makes sence. All I want to do is level the truck, keep the stock ride, or as much of it as possible, and add a 285/75/17 BFG A/T. The info I am getting from this forum is very helpfull. I still am not sure if I want to do the coil over springs... I travel alot..49k on the truck since september 06. So the ride is important...I will keep looking and researching leveling kits...I always look exstensively before making a choice... Thanks again for the info.. Anyone else have any suggestions or imput...feel free to let me know...
you sound like me when i was looking for a spacer lift. i just wanted the truck to be leveled out and look nice because i don't go off road much at all, if any. that is why i settled with the toyotec 3" package. i knew what i was getting with this package, a stiffer ride.

i do a lot of driving also, maybe not as much as you do. but as for ride quality on long trips, it's not too bad. i rather drive on long trips than trips to the store with speed bumps and curbs. after i bought this lift kit, i put some 265/75/16's on. makes the truck look even better.

but it's all up to you. different people prefer different ways to lift their truck, i just went the inexpensive route. if you want to see how my truck looks with the lift and tires, let me know, i'll post them up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought a leveling kit at Walmart for $15. 5 sacks of playsand @ 40 pounds each sitting near the tailgate. Rides like a Cadillac.

Better than buying a $400 water bag.

·
Registered
29 Posts
--CAMO660, on my 2006, I just used the leveling/lift kit from Revtek. The model number is 435 and can be seen here, Revtek - Off Road Suspension Systems - Products . This kit lifts the front 2.5 inches and the rear is lifted 1.5 inches. The truck looks nicer and, in my opinion at least, rides exactly the same as it did when stock. I was relieved when the truck rode the same, haha. The kit cost $439 with free shipping. Good luck with whatever you choose, though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just leveled mine with Bilstein 5100's, but it is 2WD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am going to use the READYLIFT 3". It comes with the diff drop and is supposed to keep the factory ride. I spoke with these guys today and their lift will fit my needs. Thanks for all your imput and suggestions.

·
DesertMatt760
121 Posts
All this talk about lifting and leveling... i got a 05 DC and actually want to take the stock look up one up on the back and lower the back down to be even with the front... is that possible?? I have 285/45/R22 tires and rims on there and the back just seems to show a lil too much tire and underwear of the truck than I would like it to, also it would make it easier to load my bass amp 8x10 cab 130lbs, into the truck, I wouldnt have to lift as high, lol!! Ant suggestions?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
All this talk about lifting and leveling... i got a 05 DC and actually want to take the stock look up one up on the back and lower the back down to be even with the front... is that possible?? I have 285/45/R22 tires and rims on there and the back just seems to show a lil too much tire and underwear of the truck than I would like it to, also it would make it easier to load my bass amp 8x10 cab 130lbs, into the truck, I wouldnt have to lift as high, lol!! Ant suggestions?
reverse leveling, don't do it!:eek:

I guess it's all subjective to how ya use it tho. I think dropping the stock back would be more costly than adding some rubber spacers to the front coils. But then again, I know almost nothing about lowering trucks.
The only Lowrider I have is my girlfriend's Dauchsund, and he's all stock.:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you havent already done the lowering thing yet check out New Page 1 these guys have just what your after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same questions you are having with leveling your truck. I searched this forum for months and got a lot of help from all the post and teamwest. He sold me on the SAW and I am glad they are on my truck. The ride is a not bad. I have mine lifted 2.5"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had Fabtec on my 03 4x4. They were junk. I had them adjusted up 2 1/2 inches and they rode like I welded steel rods from the axel to the frame. No give at all. Going over a speed bump over 1 MPH would make the front tires jump off the ground and actually catch air. It came down with a bang. Use the spacer for a stock like ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts