Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Tundra world and wanted to outfit my rig just right. I plan on placing a 3/1 leveling kit and I am debating between Ready Lift and Low Range Off Road kits. Anybody with experience with either care to share their wisdom?

I am also deciding on wheels and tires. I have OE fender flares and want tirs that are flush with the outside of the flares. Right now I am looking at 20x9 wheels w/ 30mm offset and 6.18 backspacing w/ 305/55R20 Nittos. Does that sound like it will work w/ the leveling kit and aesthetics I am looking for?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You could always try searching some of the picture threads for what your looking for. Im sure somebody on here has something similar to that.

I did a Toytec lift myself but if its between Ready Lift and LRO, get the Low Range. It's all aluminum and will never rust or corrode and is gonna always look brand new. IF YOU HAVE A 4x4, INSTALL THE DIFF DROP! It seems like its something a lot of people skip on doing with 4x4's an its only gonna come back and bite you. (Words of advice)

And only you know what your looking for. :D:tu:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Sounds like you have it dialed in. Ill add another vote for the LRO kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both LRO and Ready Lift have diff drops included. I myself am partial to LRO but I just have easier accessability to the Ready Lift, I know, it's blasphemy to make decisions about a kit based on convenience. It seems like the main difference is aluminun vs steel and implied corrosion resistance. The way I see it, most of the other components and undercarriage from factory are going to be steel or cast iron anyways so the spacers shouldn't corrode any faster that anything else.

From some other threads I have read it seems like others are running 305/55R20 w/o a problem. I just want to know about the offset of their wheels. The problem is nobody who posts pictures mentions specs of wheels. It's too big an investment to not get it just the way I want it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the LRO and 20x9 and 305/55r20 Nittos. I recommend the whole setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
From some other threads I have read it seems like others are running 305/55R20 w/o a problem. I just want to know about the offset of their wheels. The problem is nobody who posts pictures mentions specs of wheels. It's too big an investment to not get it just the way I want it.[/QUOTE]

20x9 XD monsters - 6.38 backapace and 35mm offset. took off mud flaps and trimed and inch on the skidplate and I have no rubbing at all.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Every one of those kits you mentioned are going to be pretty good... not much complaints from those that have them here on the forum. I ended up going with Bilstein 5100s all around with an added differential drop and 1.5" blocks in the back (still wanted to retain some rake, but its up to each person to decide what they want to do). Honestly, doing the Bilsteins doesn't cost much more than the lift kits and is less than half the price of most coil-over setups. I haven't gotten mine installed yet, but hopefully everything will be arriving tomorrow as planned. Good luck!
P.S. (also doing 305/55r20s but with the Hankooks...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike, I like the pics. The Monsters were recommended to me but I decided to go with Moto Metal MO9315s, I like the chrome accents and they have 5mm less offset. I am hoping to avoid shaving the skid plate. I would like to keep the mud flaps on, any chance of getting away w/ that w/o too much rubbing or is it a lost cause? How's the road noise w/ the Nittos?

I may consider Bilsteins when my stock suspension gets some wear. I just can't justify taking off perfectly good components, even considering the enhanced performance. The only reason I can convince myself to take of the stock wheels/tires is because I figure I can use 'em for snow tires or chains in winter when I move to AK.

·
Registered
422 Posts
nittos are quiet - mud flaps are definitely gone. You might be ok with no skid plate mod - but honestly - it's just minor surgury.

I was just in anchorage a week ago - I did see quite a few Tundras there. You definitely need 4x4 and good snow tires there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts