Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I'm needing new front struts and springs and want to level it out at least somewhat, 1.5" up or so.

This topic has been talked and talked about, but I can't find the specific things for what I'm doing and some of my questions.

I'm going to be fabricating a full metal front bumper which will add some weight to the front which may effect which springs I buy. I'd say 200 pounds give or take 50 pounds. I believe that's usually what bumpers for Sequoias/Tundras weigh, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guesstimating based off other full bumpers I've put on different trucks.
The rims are off a 2011 or so tacoma, they do have 1.25" spacer which sits them out just a small bit from where the stock rims are without a spacer, I'm planning for 2" spacers to stance it a little more. Make sure there is clearance as well as more stability. Tires are Wildpeak AT3/W 265/70r16s(stock size)

I know a diff drop and CV boot clamps will be needed.
1. 1.5" won't need new UCA's, right? they were replaced recently but aren't meant for a lift, just stock ones.
2. What springs do I put on? They need to be replaced. I'm doing bilstein 5100s.
Amazon.com: Dobinsons 1.75" Lift Coil Springs for Toyota Sequoia 2001-2007 4x4 (Front 1.75" Lift): Automotive The Dobinsons, not much that I've heard about them. Would these put too much lift and/or not go on the bilsteins?
The other option I've found is ARB Springs. From what I understand these aren't made for the Sequoia/Tundra but will work? I know I would need the isolators to get them to mount. But I've seen the 883s, 884s, 885s and 886s used.
  • OME 883: 375mm in height, 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 884: 390mm in height 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 885: 395mm in height 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 886: 402mm in height 660 pound spring rate
These are the specs I could find for them, I wasn't able to find specs on their website though. I think it's safe to say no to the 883s for my case. The 884s and 885s are almost the same, but someone couldn't fit the 885s well but them I've seen 886s on them.
I just don't know which ones I should get for the bilstein's to achieve a close to 1.5" lift that will still ride well with a big bumper up front.

Are there other spring options? Not Toytec's gazillion dollar ones. looking for a similar price as the Dobinsons or ARBs. Toyota OEM are $150 and $160 which is just more then I want to spend.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Check out firstgenoffroad.com. Lots of great information there and he seems to have reasonable prices.They are laid out by lift height, price, etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1.5" Iift is fine on stock upper control arms.

Don't do Bilstein 5100s, they ride like shit. Get a pair of ARB OME 90004 or Dobinsons GS59-222 instead.

I have the OME 885 springs without a metal bumper and they lifted the front almost 2.5 inches. Can't comment on how much they sag with a 200 lbs bumper though as I don't have one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.5" Iift is fine on stock upper control arms.

Don't do Bilstein 5100s, they ride like shit. Get a pair of ARB OME 90004 or Dobinsons GS59-222 instead.

I have the OME 885 springs without a metal bumper and they lifted the front almost 2.5 inches. Can't comment on how much they sag with a 200 lbs bumper though as I don't have one.
Have you tried the 5100s? Is it that they ride rough or don't absorb impact or is it something else.
My brother had them on his tundra and loved them. I've read a lot of good about them on the Tundras and Sequoias.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you tried the 5100s? Is it that they ride rough or don't absorb impact or is it something else.
My brother had them on his tundra and loved them. I've read a lot of good about them on the Tundras and Sequoias.
Yes, I had 5100s and tried them in a few different ride heights and with/without spacers. If you leave them on the lowest ride height with near stock height springs and no spacers, they ride pretty well.

The more lift you add to the 5100s, the worse they get. Their compression stroke is short and a bit harsh, and they feel as if they have little to no rebound damping. When plowing small hits, I'm pretty sure the front wheels would come off the ground. I'd feel the front wheels pop up to full bump, then shoot back down and slap what ever I was rolling over. It was jarring to say the least.

My current setup is OME 90004 with OME 885 coils and 2.5" lift top hat spacers, as retarded as it is, it feels leaps and bounds smoother and more compliant than the 5100s. The OME setup seems to soak up more of the terrain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I had 5100s and tried them in a few different ride heights and with/without spacers. If you leave them on the lowest ride height with near stock height springs and no spacers, they ride pretty well.

The more lift you add to the 5100s, the worse they get. Their compression stroke is short and a bit harsh, and they feel as if they have little to no rebound damping. When plowing small hits, I'm pretty sure the front wheels would come off the ground. I'd feel the front wheels pop up to full bump, then shoot back down and slap what ever I was rolling over. It was jarring to say the least.

My current setup is OME 90004 with OME 885 coils and 2.5" lift top hat spacers, as retarded as it is, it feels leaps and bounds smoother and more compliant than the 5100s. The OME setup seems to soak up more of the terrain.
The OME and Dobinson's are a decent bit more expensive. I never had a problem with them the times I drove my brother's truck but I'll keep doing more research and look at other websites, not just amazon. Maybe call a shop or two and see what they quote me, sometimes they can get them cheaper. I haven't seen someone else use a 883 that I can find. Everybody wants the 2.5" lift. They are an inch shorter, would they make it a 1.5" lift or is that not how it correlates and would they even fit? You might not know which is fine. If I order the 883s and they don't fit I can always return them for the 884s and try those.
What year do you drive?

The other thing I could look at is the Rancho Quicklifts. About 100 bucks cheaper then everything else, already put together too. Although I've heard good and bad with them. It seems like most people like theirs and the people that don't like them just don't like them, usually based off of what others have said(which I haven't seen said) or based off of tacomas that didn't work with them. They aim for 2 1/4" Lift, which should be about the right height after a bumper. Is that to much for the stock UCAs?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I drive a 2002. The 5100s aren't a bad option if cost is an issue (I think they are $60 cheaper per pair?) and you're looking to level it out only. I would go the 5100 + OME spring over the Ranchos.

Stock upper control arms will handle up to a 3" lift. More than that and things may start binding. I had my stock upper arms in briefly with the 5" lift and they were sitting inbetween the coils in my driveway, lol.

The 833 may be too short? The 883 is the same rate as the 884 and 885, the only difference being it's 20mm shorter than the 885. However that is at the strut, inboard of the wheel. I believe (hopefully someone who knows the exact number can chime in) the ratio between coil stroke and wheel travel is 2:1 on the Sequoia, so a 20mm shorter spring equates to about 40mm shorter ride height?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts