Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Double Cab that currently has stock tires. I would like to get a little more clearance by either installing a leverlizer kit or one size larger tires, but not both. I don't want to do both as I've heard either reduces mpg a little, but combining both has a significant reduction in mpg.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts, I would love to know the pros/cons and results of a levelize kit or one size larger tires.

Thank you very much.

Stephen

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I have a 2008 Double Cab that currently has stock tires. I would like to get a little more clearance by either installing a leverlizer kit or one size larger tires, but not both. I don't want to do both as I've heard either reduces mpg a little, but combining both has a significant reduction in mpg.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts, I would love to know the pros/cons and results of a levelize kit or one size larger tires.

Thank you very much.

Stephen
leverlizer kit ??????????

Sorry I couldn't resist! You can fit a 285/65R18 without a lift but if the tires you go up to are heavier you will lose some gas milage.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My same dilemma. I chose larger tires, Toyo 285/75R18. These are essentially a 35x11.5 size. These fit the stock rims and do not hit the upper control arms. I gained 1.5" all around. (Check out a recent thread on Nitto 295/70R18.) You'll have to bend the skid plate, which is common for most larger tire installations. See my gallery for photos.

If you're running 20's, consider 275/65R20. 34" diameter, which should gain you an inch lift. Many tires in this size to choose from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MaylonTRD, ah the elusive "Leverlizer" kit...sorry for the poor typing.

How much additional clearance will result using 285/65R18 tires?

Thanks.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
MaylonTRD, ah the elusive "Leverlizer" kit...sorry for the poor typing.

How much additional clearance will result using 285/65R18 tires?

Thanks.
I have no idea, you'd have to look up the specs. Which tires do you have now and which wheels? That guy ^^ says you can fit a 35" with no lift... I don't even know if that would look good but that is huge with no lift. Also a tire that large will weigh a lot more than stock tires and will cause some loss in MPG. I wouldn't think that a level kit would really affect MPG much alone.

edit: the tire size that guy above was talking about, 295/70r18 is a 34.3" tire.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well.. not sure about the lever-lizer kits that you've been researching, but I can't imagine that raising the front end of you truck up 2-3" will do a damn thing to your MPG.. Its not a racecar.. its already pretty high off the ground, and heavy. The leverlizer will definitely be the cheapest way to go about it..

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
a level kit really has no measurable effect on it. it changes the aerodynamics slightly but not enough to worry about or notice. i have a lift on mine and 275/70's (heavy tire, about 1 inch larger diamter) and i havent really noticed much difference in hwy mileage. we just came back from a 600 mile trip and mpgs were maybe 1 or so less than before..not enough to worry about. heck, u dont get enough mpgs anyway to worry about so its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just raised mine 2" for less than the cost of 1 tire with 2" leveling spacers. Better bang for the buck than buying 4 tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which level kit do you recommend?
Are there any downsides to raising it 2-3 inches?
Does it look funny raised 2-3 inches with stock tires?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Low Range Off Road has my :tu::tu::tu: It comes with the skid plad spacers and differential drop kit.

Funny -- hillarious... or funny-- strange???? Does it matter --- as long as you like it

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Rather than raise the front is there an inexpensive and hopefully easy way to lower the rear? I can't seem to find anything to do that.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Rather than raise the front is there an inexpensive and hopefully easy way to lower the rear? I can't seem to find anything to do that.
nope. but the front is as inexpensive and easy as it comes to raise. but u cant do shackles like u could on GM trucks..not enough room. so ur stuck at stock rear height unless u spend more money and more work then its alot lower than just 2 inches or so.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Well just poop on that. Guess I'll have to jack the front up with teh 2" lift and then a diff drop.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
If you just do a 2" lift on the front I don't think that the stock tires will look funny. It would look a lot better with tires. I had my lift for a little while before I got tires. They cost a lot of money so I wanted to wear out the stock BFG's. If you have the lift and decide to get tires down the road you will have more options for larger sizes. Go for it

·
Registered
200 Posts
i read somewhere that bigger tires will reduce you mpg but that was for 33"-37" and that spacers will not effect you mpg because its a aerodynamics thing....

i know you said spacers or tires... just surprised no one mentioned bilstein adjustable shocks, you would get the lift and a better ride, might want to look into that...not sure about the cost?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i read somewhere that bigger tires will reduce you mpg but that was for 33"-37" and that spacers will not effect you mpg because its a aerodynamics thing....

i know you said spacers or tires... just surprised no one mentioned bilstein adjustable shocks, you would get the lift and a better ride, might want to look into that...not sure about the cost?
yes, the 5100s are another option. more pricey than the cheapest of the spacer lifts, but very good product. if u like the ride now though, the spacer lift wont affect the ride. but if i had more money to sink into mine i would have done the 5100s just for the abilty to adjust and have a better shock. but i would have done the rear shocks for the ride as well so it would have been alot more money.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Is there an advantage to the Bilstein 5100s over a level kit?
some people swear a level kit will start to wear and create noises....which if not tightened down and stuff they could create more points for noise etc....over time and depending on how u use it. mainly cause its just more opportunities for it to happen. the 5100s are one unit and thus are probally stronger techincally so if u do alot of super duty off roading it might be beneficial. plus the ride quality will be different with the 5100s. just like going to a different shock woudl be. either worse or better depending on what u want. the ability to set them exactly where u want in case u dont like it after a while is a benefit....but for alot of our needs, when we have perfectly fine shocks to begin with, a spacer lift is by far the cheapest and easiset and most effective.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it sounds like a 3" front and 1" rear level kit is an affordable and workable option.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Toytec 3"/1" kit?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts