Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was off roading today on some great fire service trails and pulled off to let a couple Jeeps and a Silverado pass. The trail was a bit off camber. The kid in the Silverado (a 16 yr old in his Dad's truck) got too happy with the skinny and slid into the back of my truck, crunching my fender.

I got his license and insurance (which I later realized was his Dad's insurance, not his) and pics of everything. He was very nice and apologetic, and I told him $hit happens and we'd take care of it.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I figured we'd settle it without insurance so the kids rates don't go through the roof. Not even sure what insurance covers off-road... but it was on a legal fire road.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No responses... no experience with this? :confused:

I'm thinking I should just report it to my insurance anyway.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would try contacting the Dad and give him the opportunity to pay for it, or let him turn it in to their insurance first. Or call his insurance company yourself. I was rear ended quite a few years ago by a lady while I was stopped for a red light. It took me a few months, and lots of calls to her insurance Co., but I finally got her insurance to pay for the damage. (luckily, it was just the bumper and the truck was still drivable). I have no idea if standard insurance applies to off road accidents, but that would be my first step. Good luck and hope it all works out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would expect that, but it was on a fire road - a legal road. Not sure how it will be handled.

Got some quotes today, I'm going to give him a call tonight and see how they want to handle it. One shop quoted $600 which I thought was reasonable.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The deductible is probably more than the damage.

·
Banned
7 Posts
why don't you want to contact the insurance company? Just tell that dad was driving and everything's gonna be okay. However, if you are afraid to apply for insurance, then maybe you are using the wrong insurance? For example, I am a taxi driver, and every time I have such cases (accidental scratches, beginners behind the wheel) I always turn to my company from which I purchased taxi driver insurance (click here to find more), as these guys have their own car repair shop , where they repair my car with a huge discount )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts