Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has been sitting for about 4 months now at my friends offroad shop, it will be ready to be fired up hopefully by next week, should I dump the gas and replace the oil? I never added any stabilizer cus I didnt think it'd be sitting that long...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not enough of an expert here to be more specific, but have you checked for FAQs :confused: at various fuel treatment and oil additive product sites? The Stabil FAQ may be one place to start. A lot of volitiles will have evaporated away from 4-month old gas, and it might not crank or run as well as normal, but you certainly don't want to see signs of gumming/varnishing, although not sure sure that 4 months' worth is gonna be very visible. Obviously, the sooner you can get more fresh gas into the tank, the better.

As for oil, I'd think (and others may have different opinions) several revolutions w/o the engine starting might be good for recoating surfaces. As long as you previously had no water in the oil and none found its way in while in the shop, IMO the oil itself is probably still OK. OTOH, an oil change is "cheap insurance".

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
4 month old oil and gas should be just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts