Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys i've probly read 1000's of posts about lifts and tires and I think i've finally got my mind made up.

First of all I have a 2004 D/C LMT 4x4 which will see payment mostly, I have an old beater truck for 4x4. So this truck will be for highway use mostly, the odd time pulling the quad or the boat. With that being said I'll get into what I plan on doing.

LIFT
3" Toytek lift for the front with an AAL for the back and 1" diff drop kit.
Because I've heard about all the problems with the CV's I will be upgrading the CV's when I do my lift. Any suggestions on type of CV's?

Tires
305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler's (33.07"/12.6"/20)
I've seen a lot of people running 285/70/17 (32.76"/11.5"/17) with a 2" lift so I figure I should be able to fit the 33"s with a 3" lift.

Rims
Motto Metal 951's (20" x 10")

Just woundering what everyone thinks of this set up?

Thanks Guys

~Scottie

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
There isn't any replacement aftermarket CV's for the tundras. Unless you are talking about the CV boots? For the boots, contact Total Chaos or Kartek. Can't remember who has them. If you are wanting aftermarket CV's, you'll need to go custom. Contact cvunlimited.com or longfieldsuperaxles.com

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well guys i've probly read 1000's of posts about lifts and tires and I think i've finally got my mind made up.

First of all I have a 2004 D/C LMT 4x4 which will see payment mostly, I have an old beater truck for 4x4. So this truck will be for highway use mostly, the odd time pulling the quad or the boat. With that being said I'll get into what I plan on doing.

LIFT
3" Toytek lift for the front with an AAL for the back and 1" diff drop kit.
Because I've heard about all the problems with the CV's I will be upgrading the CV's when I do my lift. Any suggestions on type of CV's?

Tires
305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler's (33.07"/12.6"/20)
I've seen a lot of people running 285/70/17 (32.76"/11.5"/17) with a 2" lift so I figure I should be able to fit the 33"s with a 3" lift.

Rims
Motto Metal 951's (20" x 10")

Just woundering what everyone thinks of this set up?

Thanks Guys

~Scottie

I think it will look good!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
kartek has the 930 cv kit, runs about 60 bucks.

Personly I don't like spacers, I had a toytek 3" w/ diff drop, in less that 2k in tore both inner cv's with no off roading, unless they consider fire trails offroading. 3" spacer's preload the suspension so much, it almost eliminates all of your downtravel & rides like a dumptruck.

If you have to have a spacer, I would only go 2 1/2, and I would buy Revtek not Toytek...just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ment to say CV boots, I have yet to look into coilover so I just wanted to hear from those guys that have spacers compared to coilovers. What would a set of coilovers cost and how much lift can i get out of them? How much different is the ride, from what i've read a lot of people with spacers say the ride is still good while others disagree just looking for a different ideas.

Thanks

~Scottie

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed the Bilstein-5100-adjustable-shocks on the front and 1.5" AAL's on the back of my 06 4x4 DC. I haven't had any problems yet.. The Shocks were less than $200 shipped and I think the AAL's were around $90 shipped. I also installed a 1" diff drop at $30. Had the dealer remove the coils off of the old shock and reinstall on the new, plus front end alignment - total $170. I believe that totals ~$490. Overall, I gained 2.7” in the front and 1” in the back. That puts the back about .25” higher then the front. No problems so far, the ride is a little rougher then stock(less car like), but that is how I like it..

·
Registered
919 Posts
I ment to say CV boots, I have yet to look into coilover so I just wanted to hear from those guys that have spacers compared to coilovers. What would a set of coilovers cost and how much lift can i get out of them? How much different is the ride, from what i've read a lot of people with spacers say the ride is still good while others disagree just looking for a different ideas.

Thanks

~Scottie
Just remember the people who say spacers ride good...they prob have'nt riden in a truck w/ coilovers.

Bilstein makes a coilover, not to be confused w/ the lifting shock. I think it runs quite a bit cheaper than the other brands. Although the lifting shocks are far better than the spacers also...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great information guys, Just woundering where you got your stuff from Crash? I was also woundering where I can find some "cheaper" coilovers and what they usaully sell for.

Thanks

~Scottie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the great information guys, Just woundering where you got your stuff from Crash? I was also woundering where I can find some "cheaper" coilovers and what they usaully sell for.

Thanks

~Scottie
Bilstein-5100-adjustable-shocks and Diff drop were from Off Road Warehouse, the AAL's were from Wheeler's Off Road

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Just remember the people who say spacers ride good...they prob have'nt riden in a truck w/ coilovers.
I have. It really depends which spacers you get...the Daystars ride very comfortable since they have one section above and one section inside the coilover assembly--Bilstein used the same design (there is a little downtravel in the stock UBJ beyond where the stock shocks top out) in their lifting coilovers, the models with the snap ring...the shaft is a little longer, which is the effect of a spacer on top of the coilover assembly. Unfortunately if it's too long it limits on your UBJ...

But anyway if you're mechanically inclined, get the 930 CV boots and fughedduboutit :cool:. Your CV joints are fine at 3" lift, in fact they're fine all the way up to their max angle, it's just the stock CV boots that are small and get hung on the CV joint, then they tear. Just be aware their strength diminishes as the angle increases, so be gentle on the skinny pedal in 4WD if you have a lot of angle.

Offroad Solutions can source a stronger CV joint, but you'll be replacing the entire halfshaft in the process, and it's not cheap. The stock units are strong enough...35" on stock gears and stock inners, 6500# GVW, rough continuous 4x4 driving, mine are doing great. Just be gentle with them...no rednecking of the skinny pedal.

-Sean

·
Registered
919 Posts
All I can say is...once again...there is no comparison between a co & spacer, especialy a 3". Ya, I don't think its a good idea to run around with your suspension topped out...can you say DUMP TRUCK.

Yes the 930 cv boots work great, their twice as big & thick. Mine have not even leaked since putting them on. I think the prob is with the stock cv boots is that the cage that tappers down right underneath the boot causes it to tare on full droop...I don't know for sure though.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I had the Daystar kit then switched to a cheap coilover kit then switched to Team West Sway Aways. Night and day as far as performance and ride. I should've went straight to the TW Sway Aways.

As far as the boots. I ran my stock boots with 2.5" of lift and no diff drop with not a single tear. Only had to replace the stock boot clamps. It's a hit or miss IMO.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had the Daystar kit then switched to a cheap coilover kit then switched to Team West Sway Aways. Night and day as far as performance and ride. I should've went straight to the TW Sway Aways.

As far as the boots. I ran my stock boots with 2.5" of lift and no diff drop with not a single tear. Only had to replace the stock boot clamps. It's a hit or miss IMO.
Your so right, I think it is a hit or miss thing. I could'nt believe mine tore w/ a 3" spacer in 2k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts