Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!!!

I am new to this forum I have a blue 04 2wd tundra. Wish it were 4wd haha!!!!!

Anyways I wanted to lift it one because my tires rub I have 20 inch rims that came with the truck and two because i dont like how low it is.

I dont want you to be able to tell its not 4wd so I dont want to raise it to high. Also I dont have loads of money.

Does anyone have any diy methods, places to get cheap kits? Any suggestions???

Thanks!!!
DMT
:ts::cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
same here i got an 03 2wd and i just bought bilstein 5100s for the front.. only $200

·
Registered
28 Posts
20 inch rims.. pics?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
You have 20" rims and you live in Florida, but you want a lift kit and you want to hide the fact that it's 2WD?

Who cares if it's 2WD!

Lay some frame :devil:. There are some sick lowered Tundras out there.

Or just say screw it and get a 6" RCD kit, keep the 20s, mount 35" street-friendly mud tires, and pound pavement with a good looking show pony. Nobody is gonna care if it's 2WD or 4WD unless you try to pass it off as something it isn't, ie a rock crawler or mud truck. Claim what you got, and make it look good! If you want it offroad oriented, get a long travel kit and find some dunes.

If you can't afford that stuff right now, the Bilstein 5100 kit is the best solution for a simple lift.

Also, if you have no lift and 20" wheels, lifting is not the solution, most likely proper backspacing or wheel width is what you need. A pair of adapters might solve the problem handily.

-Sean

·
Registered
219 Posts
+1 on the Bilsteins. They are adjustable too so you can set it right where you want it and get the look you are going for.

·
Registered
256 Posts
do you have to remove the billsteins to adjust the height ? had mine installed on the top notch a while ago but the front sits tiny bit higher always wanted to lower it back a lil just dont wanna go thru the hassle of reinstalling

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im on the same boat, about to order 5100's for the front to fit 285/75/16 's . I've been reading through the old posts and i believe i need to have them installed on the last notch. Do I need to have a 1" block installed in back with 5100's (rear) to keep the same comfy ride? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
3 and 1 Ready Lift, spacer front and block rear. very simple and inexspensive. put it on my and like it alot. no problems at all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
do you have to remove the billsteins to adjust the height ? had mine installed on the top notch a while ago but the front sits tiny bit higher always wanted to lower it back a lil just dont wanna go thru the hassle of reinstalling
Yep you have to take the spring off to adjust it, easiest way would be to take it to a suspension shop that have some decent spring compressors, i've seen some pics on here of guys bending some spring compressors pretty good. it can be done on your own but buy a decent sent of compressors.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
GMAN and MAPHEEW, the answer is yes, you have to remove them and a 1'' block will level you out. You will lose a bit of rear end travel(I think) with the block and will need to install 5100s in the rear to compensate for the extra 1''.
As far as the original post, nothing wrong with 2wd. I have 2wd and I'm proud of it. No transfer case, no front diff, no front axles, and none of those CV joint issues to worry about. Sure, I could crawl steeper hills when I had a 4wd Silverado, but I don't miss the maintenance a bit. Not all off road trucks are 4wd, and if you are on 20's chances are you aren't going off road. I fully agree with Devinsixtyseven, I honestly considered laying mine out but needed it daily driver style so airbags were too much of a hassle.
Bug hell yeah to Sean for always having the info. I'm in points prison bud, sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts