Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a Skyjacker 3" lift kit and some 33" tires. I was looking for you guys help/opinions on that.

Will 33's fit with a 3" lift? Do I need to do anything else besides the lift in this scenario? Oh yea, I have a stock 05 Tundra Access Cab.

Also, any suggestions of different setups would be appreciated.

Please let me know if this setup will work and tell me any other setup suggestions. I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'd like to get lift kit, tires, wheels and any other accessories i may need to lift properly, for less that $3000.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nobody up tonight for help/advice? well i'm watching the ufc pay per view on central time so i'll be up till about 1am probably. lol

so if you have any help/advice....bring it on! thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
get coilovers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
might need more info than "get coilovers" but thanks for at least replying. i'm a little new to the lifting game and i'd like solid and much more detailed advice about what to have done.

i'm a member of other vehicle/atv/off-road forums and those guys reply like crazy with advice/opinions. guess i'm a little disappointed that nobody seems to wanna help.

·
Registered
469 Posts
what info have you found so far through your own searching on this Forum? BTW is your Tundra 4wd or 2wd?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
might need more info than "get coilovers" but thanks for at least replying. i'm a little new to the lifting game and i'd like solid and much more detailed advice about what to have done.

i'm a member of other vehicle/atv/off-road forums and those guys reply like crazy with advice/opinions. guess i'm a little disappointed that nobody seems to wanna help.
there are several lifts for your truck including craddle lifts which involves new crossmember, spacer lift which is the most economical or replacing the OEM coilover assembly with an aftermarket like those from Donahoe Racing, Camburg, Sway Away, King among others. For the rear u have options of putting blocks, Add A leafspring or get replacement leafsprings from companies like Deaversprings, Addco and others. Must first decided how much your willing to spend and how u will use your truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
this is one low cost way to lift the truck; 3 inch toytec spacers in front 1.25 inch cornfed blocks in rear. this lift is very easy to install, it takes about 4 hours and a few tools to do the job. the cost is around $325.00.
the spacers come with instructions and the blocks as well. The rest of the bill is up to you on how much you want to spend on your rims and tires.
check out my pics my 04 dc it turned out prety nice for this low cost set up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from searching this forum and the internet i've found that there are numerous options to lift my truck. i want to do the best thing i can performance wise and street ride wise yet still be somewhat economical about it all.

the majority of driving will be on road. i'd say about 70% on road and 30% off road driving. however, when i'm off road i want a good setup not just something that looks pretty good but sucks at off roading.

so i've zero'ed in on either a skyjacker 3in lift or the toytec lift kit and possibly adding the shocks as well. i'd like to run 33in tires or the equivelent size.

i started this thread to get some opinions on those choices and to get suggestions as to other possible setups. i figure you guys know more than me as most of you have lifted your trucks already.

oh, and i have a 05 tundra access cab 4wd to answer the earlier question.

thanks for any help/advice. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well if you want a good on-road and off-road set-up, then I suggest looking into coilovers. I ran the Donahoe coilovers on my 02 Tacoma and I loved them so much I kept them and had them rebuilt for the Tundra. That's the best thing about these coilovers. You can rebuild and revalve them. :cool: So they will last you forever if taken care of properly. I believe a brand new pair will run you about $1000. Installation is pretty easy so you could do it at home with just basic tools. You wouldnt be able to get 3" out of them because it is not reccomended by Donahoe to adjust them over 2.5" if you have 4wd. Your CV's will tear once you go offoad due to the angle. So I would reccomend keeping them at 2.5" and getting a diff drop to help out.

How wide of a tire are you looking at? What size rim? What kind of off-roading are you doing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if you want a good on-road and off-road set-up, then I suggest looking into coilovers. I ran the Donahoe coilovers on my 02 Tacoma and I loved them so much I kept them and had them rebuilt for the Tundra. That's the best thing about these coilovers. You can rebuild and revalve them. :cool: So they will last you forever if taken care of properly. I believe a brand new pair will run you about $1000. Installation is pretty easy so you could do it at home with just basic tools. You wouldnt be able to get 3" out of them because it is not reccomended by Donahoe to adjust them over 2.5" if you have 4wd. Your CV's will tear once you go offoad due to the angle. So I would reccomend keeping them at 2.5" and getting a diff drop to help out.

How wide of a tire are you looking at? What size rim? What kind of off-roading are you doing?
i'd like 16,17, or 18 in rims whichever looks best to me and also will fit into what i'm doing with the truck. i'd like a tire that sticks out from the well some so maybe like 33x12.50. i'm still new to all this and that's why i'm not certain of what i'd like to do. as far as the type of off-roading it'd be mostly mississippi mud and trails.

thanks for the tips. keep 'em coming to help me research and decide.

you said 2.5" and a diff drop.....what do you think about the 3in toytec package that comes with a diff drop here's a link Tundra Shopping Cart for Toyteclfts.com

also, i'm finding after looking around that i'd need to lift the truck more in the front than in the rear and then maybe add leafsprings or something to level it all out. is that right?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've has spacers and coilovers- if you do any amount of offroading, you don't want a spacer lift. The ride will eventually beat you up and make the truck rattle to death. I have the sway-a-way racerunner coilovers for 700 bucks from Wheeler's and the difference is night and day- good coilovers.

On the skyjacker 3"- i looked into that before but some other members have had bad experiences with them causing damage- i'd stay away

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks mtcheral, i'll reconsider the skyjacker lift. any opinions or experiences with the toytec lift?

what about this..... the toytec 3in kit, the blistein shocks and 33x12.50's?

should that work?

thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
The toytec lift is spacers- just go with coilovers with the budget you have

·
Registered
109 Posts
If all you care about is lifting the stuck and you dont care about the ride or being capable off-road then spacers would be ok. If you care about the ride and your trucks ability to perform off-road then go with coilovers. If your budget is honestly $3000 you should be able to get: coilovers, UCAs, diff drop, and wheels for around $1600. After that you would have 1400 left over for tires and install which should be plenty. When you pick out a wheel your going to want to go with one that has close to a backspacing of 4" or less, so while off-roading you dont rub the frame while compressed and turning. Also it sounds like you wouldn't mind the look of having the tires sticking out a little which less backspacing would do for you. Aftermarket UCAs will also help with the rubbing issue when off-roading. With properly backspaced wheels you might not need aftermarket UCAs, but for the best off-roading performance for your price rang your going to want them. There are also a few companys that have produced or are producing lifting shocks. Which might be a middle groud between coilovers and spacers. Their ability off-road hasn't been well tested that I know of yet so if your semi-serious about drivability off-road you might want to hold off before going in that direction. Unless someone knows different. If I'm wrong about anything someone please jump in and correct me this is all stuff I've read here and just trying to sum up as much of it that I remember.

-Nick

·
Registered
231 Posts
If your looking for a on off road type setup check out what i have as adds on mine. I love the setup and have pulled many a trucks out with mine where other trucks couldnt get to. Get a more aggressive tire though as i had the Trxus for the sand dunes when i was in colorado. I tried the spacer lift It will turn your truck from a smooth riding truck to a tank. Once i went coilover you can feel the difference. Not to mention the pressure that the spacers put on the bolts/joints destroyed my lower mounting bolts and upper ball joints. Which is why i got the total chaos UCA's as well as i was rubbing on the old control arms. the tires are also 16's and you can check out the pics in my gallery

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you only offroad 30% of the time you would probably be just fine with a set of SAW 2.0 coilovers. I went with Toytec spacers first on my Tacoma and they rode okay but after a few months they start to kill you. Just go straight for the coilovers and don't waste your money on the spacers. My truck rides just as good as when I bought it with the SAW 2.0s on my truck. Spacers are more for people on a really tight budget and if you have a budget of $3000 for lift and tires just go for the coilovers and you can easily install them yourself with basic hand tools and you just have to spring for an alignment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i was able to buy rims and tires 3" level lift kit with diff drop and aal's for under $2000,00 go to extremetrucktoys.com they'll have a the kit listed above i purchased the kit for $185.00 that was including shipping it was very easy to install it took about 2 hours the wheels i picked out were 17x8 procomp 6089 they are chrome with 4.5 backspacing the tires are nitto terra grappler 295/70/17 (33.5x12.5) i payed $1645.60 for the rims tires valve stems lug nuts and mounting and balancing that price also included shipping they look really good sitting in the wheel wells if fills them up nicely you'll have to get rid of your mudflaps to fit that tire it drives almost the same it's a little firmer then before but that's ok i'm very happy with my setup and it didn't break the bank

by the way i got my wheel package at national tire and wheel i ordered the wheels on a monday received them on wednesday
level lift kit ordered on friday received on friday(coming from california to maryland)
National Tire & Wheel - National Tire and Wheel 4x4 Tires, Custom Wheels, Suspension Lift Kits for Off-road and 4WD Vehicles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts