Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
I looked around the forums some and did not find this particular setup and wanted to run it by you guys to make sure their are not any problems with it.

5" Tuff Country Lift Kit (said will fit up to 33x12.5 tires with 4.5" backspacing or less, not sure if the offset will make a difference)
305/170/16 (33x12R16)BFG All-Terrains (I love these damned tires and got a sweet deal on em):)
16x8 Rims -5 Offset 4.25" Back Spacing (16x8 rims said they are good for up to 12.5 wide tire so should be safe):dry3d:
All this on a 4x4 2006 Toyota Tundra Dual Cab

I am pretty sure It will all work together but wanted to get some expert advice before I order all this stuff. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.:ts:

(edit) sorry for my horrible spelling,grammar,sentence structure etc. :cry3d:

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Uhhhhhhmmmmm, not sure you can go 5" up with 4wd, better ask Sean. Send a PM to DEVINSIXTYSEVEN, he would be a member who could tell you for sure. If you had 2wd, I'd say go for it, but the diff and the angles of the cv joints may not cooperate with 5" of lift.

Here is a thread well worth reading since you are interested in lifting, doesn't matter of you will off road or not, it's good info.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-roading/15623-tundra-offroad-mods-and-tech/ <----click on that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link TD. I will definatly have to replace the CV boots and maybe look into some uniball upper control arms.

And just an fyi I am not planning on rock crawling or serious off roading. A little trailing here and there and deep snow is all I am really looking for in the way of increased ride height. Stock suspension travel should suit my purposes fine and a little trimming of the wheel wells is not a problem.

My old truck had a 3' lift with 32's and getting high centered on deep snow was the only problem I ever had. Kept the suspension pretty much stock and used an extra pair of Ranchero shocks in the rear as a poor mans kicker bar to try and reduce rear wheel hop when on hard packed dirt.

Maybe 5" is excessive for my needs.... 4.5" maybe? But leaning towards the 5" for the heavy duty spindles and I am not sure or not if they are compatible with a unibal upper.
'
'

I will try to PM Devin and see if he would be able to give me any pointers or suggestions and thanks again for the info and taking the time to help me out.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
5" Tuff Country Lift Kit (said will fit up to 33x12.5 tires with 4.5" backspacing or less, not sure if the offset will make a difference)
305/170/16 (33x12R16)BFG All-Terrains (I love these damned tires and got a sweet deal on em):)
16x8 Rims -5 Offset 4.25" Back Spacing (16x8 rims said they are good for up to 12.5 wide tire so should be safe):dry3d:
All this on a 4x4 2006 Toyota Tundra Dual Cab
Get the 5" over the 4.5", specifically because of the new spindle. It will do fine offroad, should you choose to try.

That kit should accommodate a 35x12.5 tire, if you want, but low range gets a little sloppy offroad, and high range is better suited to flatlands than hills or mountain grades, if you aren't changing the gear ratio in the differentials.

The wheel/tire combo should be fine...I started out with 16x8 on 4.5, and some 1.5" adapters, and it rubbed the frame a little, but nothing major...also, I didn't have any lift at the time. You shouldn't have any problem, with the drop bracket...I'd be surprised if the tire touched the frame.

As the years go by, 12.5" tire on 8" wheel will start to show a little cracking at the outside of the belt, because the tire arches more on that narrow rim. The measuring rim for 12.5" tires is technically a 10", not 8".

If you already got the tires, cool. If not, go up to 315/75/16, and also it's worth mentioning that if you need a road-oriented tire, Nokian makes a good one in that size.

-Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts