Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I have a 04 tundra 4dr with 63,000 miles on it. Recently I noticed that I was getting a knocking noise from the engine upon starting it up. Now the noise has progressed and I hear it all the time. I figured it was a lifter and took it to the dealer where I purchased it, who confirmed it was a lifter. Due to it being out of warranty I decided not to get it fixed that day. Can any of you tell me if you have had similar problems with with this type of truck and if so is there a simple fix like one of the oil additives, (sea foam, marvel mystery oil, ams oil additive) or do I need to bite the bullet and have it replaced (which I understand is a fairly costly job on these trucks). thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think i may have the same problem, i only hear the ticking"ish" noise when i start it up. But after the engine is warm it seems to go away. Although when i pop the hood and listen it sounds like its coming from the timing belt area, not sure where the lifters are located. But im guessing not near the timing belt...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have had some luck controlling start-up noises just by switching to a different oil filter, assuming you are talking about the 2UZ-FE engine. Some refer to it as piston slap, some lifter noises. I'm not sure which is which though, I go back and forth. My theory on the filter difference is the reliability of the anti-drain back valve, or lack thereof. Any ADBV that is made of nitrile (black) is very unreliable, especially in cold weather. The silicon (reddish brown) ADBV's perform much better. When an ADBV fails (oil drains back into the crankcase), you are essentially giving the engine a dry start, especially if the engine has sat for a few days. A dry start sounds very similar to a rebuilt engine when it is first fired up (lots of noises until the engine oil reaches all parts of the engine).

I have found the Purolator PureOne PL 10241 oil filter to be very reliable, the Wix filter to be OK but won't make it the entire OCI sometimes, and the K&N filter to be a poor choice. I won't even try a Toyota filter anymore.

There is only one engine oil additive that I can recommend, and it's called Auto-Rx. You can order and read about it on the Internet. It is safe to use and does what it says it will do. Will it help with start-up noises? Probably not if your ADBV is failing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
check to make sure it's not the exhaust manifold cracked - sounds just like lifter noise and is heard esp. when it's cold. My driver's side manif. failed... had it replaced and then found the noise from that side was masking the noise from the passeng. side that is still tickin away. I was told it cannot hurt the motor and that seems right.... I have driven the piss out of my truck for a couple o' yrs. now... need to buck up for the passeng. side.
ec

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Find a new mechanic.

There are a few noises these engines are notorious for, but lifter noise is not one of them. Check for cracked exhaust manifolds, and make certain it isn't piston slap. Use the search function for more and better information.

-Sean

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah....don't think its a lifter, but you could just need a valve adjustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts