Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Liftgate latch won't stay closed/locked

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  cebby 
#1 ·
2010 Sequoia Limited, but probably the same for all 2008+

When I close the liftgate, either by power or manually - the liftgate closes (I hear the latching motor) and some of the time it immedaitely releases (on it's own) as if someone pressed the touch pad to open the liftgate. Occasionally it stays closed, but hitting a hard bump can make it release. It doesn't fly up or anything, I just get a message in the dash about the back door being open.

I heard some rust/debris in the tailgate, but opened things up and noticed that the latch mechanism has a plastic housing around it, so it's likely not being caused by external debris. The latch was a bit rusty, so I hit it with some PB Blaster and while it loosened things up, the issue still remains.

Are there other components that affect the ability for the liftgate to latch? Could I have a short in the touch pad possibly? It's almost like the liftgate latch doesn't know the liftgate is in the closed position. Thanks.

#2 ·
I've got some additional info for troubleshooting...

I discovered that I could move the latch with a screwdriver to close it and it actuated via power, but it opened back up freely without much pressure at all, no power activation.

I saw all of the threads that stated pulling the negative battery cable would reset computers and such, so I pulled it off for about 5 minutes. Upon reattaching, the touch pad was non-responsive and the dash mounted button gave two beeps and no action.

The weird stuff after pulling the negative cable aside, this sounds like the latch itself has failed and replacing it should at a minimum fix the latch/locking issue. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.