Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted a couple days ago at Toyota Nation but it seems pretty dead over there.
I have a question about lifting/leveling.
My son bought a 2007 2WD double cab with the 4.7. He wants to do a lift/level and go a little bigger on the tires and wheels (20" rims). Being the Dad here I am going to talk him into the minimum lift he can get away with and the smallest tires that will still look decent. I want him to do the lift right, not use blocks. I am looking for suggestions on lift/leveling kits and recommendations on wheels & tires. Remember it is 2WD.

I also read about the design flaw regarding the air induction pumps and sensors. I guess I will be reading that 1000+ post thread to see if there are any viable mods available.

Do you guys use AutoEnginuity?

Thanks, B

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Do a Search for Bilstien 5100's...you will find everything you need to know. Probably the cheapest and best way to level the truck.
+1 :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
whats "not right" about blocks?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
cheapest, easiest, etc.....FWIW u can show him pics in my gallery, mine is a double cab 07 2WD as well....and its got a 3 inch lift up front using the strut spacers (like the ready lift spacers that usually advertise to the left of this page) - i got them off ebay...they have the welded stamped steel ones like i have plus the billet ones...same effect as the 5100s for cheaper...and its going to be just as easy as the strut assembly has to come out for either one, and this style spacer just bolts to the top of the strut...and of course i have the 1.5 blocks in the rear to keep some rake to keep it from being nose high and ugly.... most any lift out there is going to use blocks for the rear for part of it, fyi.

oh and my tires are slightly larger in a 275/70/18 size...on the stock 18 TRD wheels...overall diameter on toyo's site is 33.1'' so u can use that as a guage for size in my pics....

ok here are a couple to save u time....

^^^^^^^^^^^theres the lift installed in the front strut, its just a spacer.....

also if u search for my "budget versions of popular mods" thread u can see all the details and pics on my lift...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is great! 2 days without a reply at TN and here I get half a dozen in less than an hour! Thanks guys, now I have something to go on. I'll do the research and look at the pics. I already looked at the 5100's, looks like a viable option. Inexpensive is good, but I don't want to put price before safety. Thanks for all the help.

I wish leveling my Superduty was this easy!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Ill just add, If you want to do 20's Id suggest 305/55/20s for a tire size. Those will work well with either a spacer lift or the 5100's. Oh for the wheels look for something 20x9 with a +30 or +35 offset.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I also read about the design flaw regarding the air induction pumps and sensors. I guess I will be reading that 1000+ post thread to see if there are any viable mods available.

Do you guys use AutoEnginuity?

Thanks, B
Does the 4.7 have this problem? Did you spell this right "AutoEnginuity"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yes the 4.7 has the same stupid pumps...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I got a toytec 2.5"/1" kit. The back is 2" higher than the front so if you dont wanna do rear blocks the truck would sit almost perfectly level. There are no side effects to rear blocks if thats what your worried about. I got 305/65/18's on stock TRD 18" rims. You can look in my gallery for pics or here ill post a pic to save you time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are no side effects to rear blocks if thats what your worried about.
That isn't exactly true. Blocks contribute to axle wrap, increased on-road sway, (sometimes) poor tracking on the hi-way, and I have snaped aluminum blocks in half. I won't even get into the effect on the drive line w/ blocks, or the horror stories of stacking blocks. The biggest block I would personally use on a tundra is 1in, if you need any more lift go a differnt route.

Now, just using a 1 inch block wont be too bad, just be aware that yes, blocks effect the truck. Make sure they are steel. Check the u-bolt torque every time you change your oil. Should be smooth sailing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
That isn't exactly true. Blocks contribute to axle wrap, increased on-road sway, (sometimes) poor tracking on the hi-way, and I have snaped aluminum blocks in half. I won't even get into the effect on the drive line w/ blocks, or the horror stories of stacking blocks. The biggest block I would personally use on a tundra is 1in, if you need any more lift go a differnt route.

Now, just using a 1 inch block wont be too bad, just be aware that yes, blocks effect the truck. Make sure they are steel. Check the u-bolt torque every time you change your oil. Should be smooth sailing.
FYI a properly made block is angled to compensate for the driveline angle...no difference than doing lift leaf springs, etc...the driveline angle is going to be the same and going to have to be shimmed to compensate...like my blocks are 1.5 and are angled so i have no issues. now i agree, going to a 2 or 3 inch block will contribute to more axle wrap and sometimes vibrations etc.

i do agree with checking torgue often...i do. if you are going to abuse the truck and off road, obviously get the stoutest things possible. but seeing as how its a 2wd, he's probally going for the look more than the heavy dutyness...if its for looks and occasional light off roading theres no issues at all. i wouldnt put tall blocks on a race truck tho haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
FYI a properly made block is angled to compensate for the driveline angle...no difference than doing lift leaf springs, etc...the driveline angle is going to be the same and going to have to be shimmed to compensate...like my blocks are 1.5 and are angled so i have no issues. now i agree, going to a 2 or 3 inch block will contribute to more axle wrap and sometimes vibrations etc.

i do agree with checking torgue often...i do. if you are going to abuse the truck and off road, obviously get the stoutest things possible. but seeing as how its a 2wd, he's probally going for the look more than the heavy dutyness...if its for looks and occasional light off roading theres no issues at all. i wouldnt put tall blocks on a race truck tho haha
Well said. Do you notice axle wrap (more than stock) with your 1.5 blocks? I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing blocks.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
not that i have noticed then again i just have the puney little 4.7 haha and i dont jackrabbit start often...i do get on it when needed, and have spun them pulling out into traffic or whatnot...but no racing or serious off roading...but no changes in driveability over stock that ive noticed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts