Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a truck but plan on ordering really soon. Just need to figure out what color to get. I'm too damn lazy to wash my truck everyweek and plan on taking it on dirt roads at least once a week to meet friends.

Now my questions. I don't really need bigger tires and a lift for off roading but more for the look. I want a level truck number 1 and fill out the wheel wells #2. I've read here that I maybe able to drop some 35"s tires on either 18" or 20" rims so I'd love to give it a shot. How will this effect the mileage and performance of the truck? I'd appreciate real world answers...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't haver a lift on my truck, so I can't tell from experience how different it is from a non-lifted truck, but I can tell you two things: your performance will decrease and your mileage will decrease. Maybe someone with a lift can tell you exactly how much each will be different. To counteract the performance decrease, most people choose to go with a lower (numerically higher) set of rear gears, like 4.30 or 4.5x or something. This will restore your performance, but will further decrease your gas mileage.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well the DC 5.7 4x4's come with a 4.30 rear end so I don't think you'll have to mess with the rear end.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. would you guys try to add bigger tires to the 20" rims or the TRD 18" rims? just curious.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keep in mind the size of the tires....the more they weigh, the more mass that engine has to get moving. On my MINI, I have race wheels and street wheels. The race wheels are a whopping 12 pounds and my street wheels are 22. Yeah its only 10 pounds less at each corner but it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
324 Posts
both will decrease. how much remains to be seen. only after more lift kits & wheel/tire combos are on(or off) the road will we get some real #s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts