Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone that might run into a similar situation as I have. I lifted my '08 Tundra with the OME lift, and after about 15k miles my passenger upper ball joint started going bad. 10k miles later I finally bought a new set of UCA's (Light Racing / SPC adjustable from Toytec)

This past Tuesday I installed them, and was surprised at the amount of negative camber I had even setting them at the full positive setting. I went ahead continuing the install, and set them at full positive camber, and drove it straight to the alignment shop.

I rolled in at -3° camber and rolled out at -.5° at the max UCA and factory setting. Apparently toe was also maxed out but I believe he got it in spec. Caster was 4°. I initially set these to +2° caster (over stock).

I spoke with Toytec and they weren't sure why I would be having any issues, so I called SPC directly. I spoke with one of their tech's and he said that these arms are really designed for spindle lifts, not spring/spacer lifts. Because spindle lifts keeps the suspension arc the same as stock where the spring lift I have has just raised the resting position of the suspension. (obviously not ideal but cheaper).

One thing I noticed when installing these is, when set at the center position for Caster (which is +2°) the ball joint is offset to the back side of the arm (more negative camber). I asked the SPC tech if I could possibly flip the ball joint 180° and get some more positive camber. He told me I could.

So, if you just have a spring lift like the OME and think the Light Racing/SPC is going to just be plug-and-play when installed per the directions, that might not be the case. I will update this once I get a chance to flip them and get the truck re-aligned.

Again, hope this helps someone!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some update... I pointed an SPC tech to this post, and he corrected some information. These arms are made to work with spring type lifts just as they are with spindle, and like I said above, once I try changing the ball joint I'll update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just received mine in the mail today . What was the outcome with your set-up?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just received mine in the mail today . What was the outcome with your set-up?

I should have updated this thread a long time ago :eek:

I've had these on for a while now and they work fine. My one complaint is just trying to find someone who can actually spend the time to align the truck correctly. I've had it aligned a couple times, and each time they made fairly large changes (mainly in caster) and they end up getting everything pointing straight but I get a decent amount of rubbing.

When you look at everything (the way the upper mount works) I believe if you could get someone that would really work with you, you could get the wheel centered in the wheel well and keep the alignment in spec. I believe my wheels are further back than they were with the stock arms.

You can adjust the wheel's location by adjusting both the top/bottom caster. (effectively moving the whole wheel forward/back) I might be wrong, but I would think mine could be better than it is and eliminate the rubbing. I'm getting good tire wear, no pulling, and it rides good, so my only 'issue' is rubbing at full turn/lock.

Next time its due for an alignment I'll probably try again to 'talk' with the person doing it and see if they can center the wheel more.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Installed mine today. Set it to "D" position which is the 0 setting for caster and had no choice but to move the slotted camber setting all the way to the outside. I'm running toy tech 3/1 lift with factory TRD rims and 295/70/18 Nitto trail grappler MTs. My tires are rubbing the uca. The pics below is with wheel turned so I could take the pics.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed mine today. Set it to "D" position which is the 0 setting for caster and had no choice but to move the slotted camber setting all the way to the outside. I'm running toy tech 3/1 lift with factory TRD rims and 295/70/18 Nitto trail grappler MTs. My tires are rubbing the uca. The pics below is with wheel turned so I could take the pics.
This looks more like a Rim issue (Rim offset). I had lifted and bought rims/tires for my truck a year before opting for the UCA. My rim/tires do not sit that close to the arm. If you want, I can snap a few pictures (you'll have to excuse the dirty winter mess since it won't stop being winter here). Just let me know.

I know, during my install, I installed them in the standard position, and even when upper mount was at the far out position on the slot, I had like -2° camber on the front. I probably should have tried playing with it myself before just going to get it aligned.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some cell phone pictures. That is mostly dirt/grime from out nasty winter, not rust/corrosion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DmTalon i had a question about ur ucas. Did you stick with flippings your ball joints 180 degrees? I am going to get these Ucas with a 7" bds and fox coilovers and am wondering if i should just let the install like normal or tell him to flip the joint like you did. I dont understand how flipping it makes a difference.

And to the guy with the Uca tire rub. What offset do you think he was running? Will i have that issue if my Uca adjustment is maxed out and i have 20x9 +6 offset?

if you could help before i purchase my equipment that would be wonderful. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts