Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Light" Switch that fits into unused dash switch locations?

I am looking to install a "OEM" switch in my '08 Tundra 5.7L CrewMax for some aftermarket off-road lights. The switch for the fog lamps on the Tundra is located on the turn signal lever (where the parking and head lamp switches are). I am looking for a sitch that fits into the rectangular receptacle on the dash. I'd like to maintain a stock look. I tried a light switch from an FJ, but the shape was different.
Amyway, if anyone knows of an OEM switch or even an aftermarket switch that looks OEM that would work please let me know.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
When I did my back up light modification I wanted to have an OEM switch in the blank location to keep everything looking like it came that way from the factory. The problem I encountered was that in order to do this I would have had to buy a whole new circuit board to go behind the faceplate to accommodate a switch like that. There was simply no way to do it otherwise so I used a toggle switch. The replacement circuit board was over $500. At first I thought the dealership was trying to screw me but turns out they were correct. The white boxes you see on the back of the panel being held by one of my employees is what the stock switch mates with. Behind my blank there was no white box.

Attached some pics of what I did.

Attachments

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PowerHogger: That is exactly what I was looking for. I ended up ordering this one https://trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-6764 that someone posted on TundraTalk.net. The picture just shows the base, there is also a "cap" that has to be ordered and goes on top of the base.
Nice pics HighwayLizzard. I had an '02 Tundra and know what you are talking about. It is different on the '07 and up Tundras though (I am installing the switch in an '08). There is room behind most of the blank switch locations. There are blanks in the center console, below the instrument cluster near the ignition switch and also below the instrument cluster near the dimmer on the left side of the steering column so plenty of choices as to where to mount the switch.
Ken

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Keninsb, do you have a photo of your switch installed?

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Keninsb, do you have a photo of your switch installed?
Hi. I actually ended up going with another switch sold by TundrPart.com. The switch assembly that I purchased is HERE. I actually purchased three of these because I am planning on adding some additional lighting. They fit into the blanks nicely, but as you can see from their photos the switch to the left of the RSCA switch is slightly more recessed than the other switches. How anal am I? I cut the back side of that switch mount and spaced the front of the switch so it sits flush now. I also relocated the RSCA switch to be next to the VSC switch on the right side of the steering column. That way ALL of my lighting switches are on the left side of the steering column and the traction/performance switches are on the right side. I had to trim some of the notches on the switches/switch receptacles to accomodate, and had to add wire (spliced, soldered, heat shrunk, wrapped in electrical tape then covered with wire loom) to make the RSCA switch reach. Yes, I am that anal.
Now, regarding the TundraPArt switches: They are pretty well made, but pricey. The LEDs are ORANGE not yellow like you see in the pictures. Don't expect much help from them on tech support other than their on-line instructions HERE. I wanted to wire my switches up so that they come on with the dash lamps and dim along with the other lamps on the dash. They are wired to come on with the headlamps or parking lamps, and after spending a while with the multi-meter I cannot figure a way around this. I have sent several emails to TundraPart.com, but they cannot seem to give me and answer to this question. I will probably just end up tapping into the parking lamps and live with the lights being a little brighter than the others.

Ken

·
Registered
82 Posts
WOW Keninsb.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My pleasure! Glad I am good for something (regardless of what my wife says!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts