Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article in Motor Trend about the new reg cab 6ft bed 2wd 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 liter engine and it performed 0 to 60 in 5.9. Now I am hearing that TRD is developing a Supercharger for the 5.7 that will add another 100hp and 100tq add a TRD Exhaust and Intake and you will have a 500hp 525tq engine then add some wide low profile tires, traction bars and LSD giving you a Lighting/Dodge SRT10 killer.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
99 Posts
Toyota has never fought for the "fastest truck" market. I think they are moving in the right direction by offering a "good all around truck". I think the closest we will see of the Supercharger is at the SEMA show.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The Dodge is a naturally asperated engine. The 500 horses its pushing right now are just a drop in the bucket as to what that engine is capable of. Dodge need not worry about their crown at this point.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Dodge is a naturally asperated engine. The 500 horses its pushing right now are just a drop in the bucket as to what that engine is capable of. Dodge need not worry about their crown at this point.
True, but they also get, oh, 8mpg if theyre lucky. Imagine a 500hp s/c Toyota that still gets 12-14mpg.

Im of course hopeful they will release the s/c. We are already in stock L territory as is. Granted they have alot of easy mods to up the power, but theyre already s/c'd too. The SRT10 is still top dog (the reg. cab that is), but its not some impossible goal. Also, I paid $27k for my truck, last I checked the SRT10 (which arent even available anymore) were $50k.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly! The base price for the Toyota Tundra 2wd reg cab dressed out in SR5 package is $26k. Add $7,500 for S/C incuding installation, Add $1,500 for TRD Exhaust, add $300 for intake and another $3,000 for performance tires and rims and another $1,000 for suspension upgrades and you have a Ford Lighting/Dodge SRT10 killer for less than $38,000. :D

Add another $2k to upgrade to leather and brushed aluminum interior accents and you have a beautiful Sleeper!

·
Registered
330 Posts
It the diesel guys you have to really watch out for these days when your talking fast trucks.. There's several around here that are in the low 12's.

·
Registered
848 Posts
we will see if the supercharger will ever come out ... i have been waiting 2 years for the supercharger to come out for the 4.0L and it never did for the xrunner ... so i am not holding much hope for it on the 5.7L

but if it does come out i will be getting one

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It the diesel guys you have to really watch out for these days when your talking fast trucks.. There's several around here that are in the low 12's.
You are right. My buddy has a duramax with bully dog chip and he just ordered the KN intake, banks intercooler, and banks exhaust. Now with only the chip on stage 1 that thing whoops my [email protected]@. He's not done ordering more parts either, next is injectors and some engine work.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I was surprised by a few of them already. Even stock they are no slouch, but watch out for the ones cranking out the black smoke. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, you said it best.

It's actually capable of doing double it's horsepower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
True, but they also get, oh, 8mpg if theyre lucky. Imagine a 500hp s/c Toyota that still gets 12-14mpg.

Im of course hopeful they will release the s/c. We are already in stock L territory as is. Granted they have alot of easy mods to up the power, but theyre already s/c'd too. The SRT10 is still top dog (the reg. cab that is), but its not some impossible goal. Also, I paid $27k for my truck, last I checked the SRT10 (which arent even available anymore) were $50k.
That same block in the SRT-10, is actually quite capable of putting out double the horse it's rated at. The Cummins Deisels can also naturally do alot more due to their high torque and chip possibilities. But quit talking "MPG" and "Sport-Performance" all in the same discussion. Does you're engine burn fuel with a combustion system? Yes. So the rate at which you burn your fuel or how cheap your truck is/was, has nothing to do with buying a class of sport-truck (even diesel) that does the quarter-mile the quickest, carrying at least 6 passengers, and towing a load. Not that people race trucks in that fasion. But my money's on Dodge. Super-charge the hell out of your Tundra, the domestics will still top it in power.

All the same, the current 5.7L Tundra iForce is only (barely) competing with Dodge's emission-choked small-block Hemi 5.7L. The 2009's are rumored to contain the 6.1L and 6.4L Hemi's. 425 HP and over 550 HP.

(Stock, un-modified). :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
All the same, the current 5.7L Tundra iForce is only (barely) competing with Dodge's emission-choked small-block Hemi 5.7L.
Acccording to the various magazine and online tests,the tundras with the 5.7 are posting substantially quicker 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times than the dodge hemi 5.7.To me it sounds like they are dominating the dodge 5.7 hemi,not "barely competing" with it.

The 2009's are rumored to contain the 6.1L and 6.4L Hemi's. 425 HP and over 550 HP
Of course it is easy to spread rumours,but rumours often do not turn out as expected.Then again,do you not suppose that if dodge does introduce a more powerful engine in 2009 that toyota could do the same to maintain their advantage?

·
Registered
832 Posts
You have to keep in mind the L motor is *built... As in it can take the supercharger without any cap walk and etc etc.. It is also designed around the blower.

The SRT 10 is the king and it would take a lot to knock it off the throne. I almost bought one but went for a single cab hemi sport because I couldn't live with 9/12 mpg premium only. The invoice on it was like $38,000 and there were several that sat on the lots for a long time so I know some people out there picked them up cheap... And they keep their value fairly well, they were weird and hit that weird price range where the people that wanted them couldn't afford a $40,000 truck but could afford a $30,000-32,000 truck that is 3 years old if that makes sense... Which leads me to the fact that a modified aftermarket vehicle won't keep it's value very well like the SRT does.

The L and SRT also have built transmisisions and rear ends to accompany the engine. Along with the rest of the truck that is modified from the factory around the drivetrain with more power.

To do a Tundra right you'd need to do more than throw a catback on it and a blower. You'd have to get rid of the granny nannies in the computer or at least get them to act in concert with the modifications. Then you'd have to build the transmission and rearend.. Then what stall and gear would you pick? Who would program the computer? Do the heads.. Build a blower cam... What compression... Chasis flex... Suspension/wheels... And a big part killer part might be the fuel system as a whole.

It would be sweet if they built one from the factory though...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Heh, also, I always get my *** smoked by cummins hot rods.. They always pick on my poor 1500 hemi :cry: . Maybe my future Tundra will give them more sport.. But I doubt it.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
That same block in the SRT-10, is actually quite capable of putting out double the horse it's rated at. The Cummins Deisels can also naturally do alot more due to their high torque and chip possibilities. But quit talking "MPG" and "Sport-Performance" all in the same discussion. Does you're engine burn fuel with a combustion system? Yes. So the rate at which you burn your fuel or how cheap your truck is/was, has nothing to do with buying a class of sport-truck (even diesel) that does the quarter-mile the quickest, carrying at least 6 passengers, and towing a load. Not that people race trucks in that fasion. But my money's on Dodge. Super-charge the hell out of your Tundra, the domestics will still top it in power.

All the same, the current 5.7L Tundra iForce is only (barely) competing with Dodge's emission-choked small-block Hemi 5.7L. The 2009's are rumored to contain the 6.1L and 6.4L Hemi's. 425 HP and over 550 HP.

(Stock, un-modified). :D
:confused: Threads like these bring out the trolls...

I'm sure if Toyota wanted to make a truck to compete with the SRT-10 Ram or the Lightning they'd have no problem doing so. The fact that the production engine can even come close to competing with the above trucks with their specialized engines shows how far ahead of the game Toyota is right now.

There isn't one standard production half ton truck that would make the HP a Toyota would after being S/C'd for a given boost. The nicest thing about it is that the engine's internals should handle it no problem. Only minor mod's should need to be made to the tranny and rear end.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Acccording to the various magazine and online tests,the tundras with the 5.7 are posting substantially quicker 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times than the dodge hemi 5.7.To me it sounds like they are dominating the dodge 5.7 hemi,not "barely competing" with it.

Of course it is easy to spread rumours,but rumours often do not turn out as expected.Then again,do you not suppose that if dodge does introduce a more powerful engine in 2009 that toyota could do the same to maintain their advantage?

The Toyota 5.7 does kick the crap out of the Hemi as it stands right now. The Hemi has been out for a few years and it was once the king but it's dated now but you have to give them credit for raising the bar. However, Dodge already has the bigger Hemi's in other cars and SUV's, it's not a rumor. All they have to do is drop it in the pickup. I'm not a Dodge fan outside of the Dodge/Cummins pkg, but when it comes to sport models and big HP production vehicles they are the undisputed king.

I know you guys here hate Dodge with a passion, but if it wasn't for that Hemi your Tundra would only be around 300hp.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
The Toyota 5.7 does kick the crap out of the Hemi as it stands right now. The Hemi has been out for a few years and it was once the king but it's dated now but you have to give them credit for raising the bar. However, Dodge already has the bigger Hemi's in other cars and SUV's, it's not a rumor. All they have to do is drop it in the pickup. I'm not a Dodge fan outside of the Dodge/Cummins pkg, but when it comes to sport models and big HP production vehicles they are the undisputed king.

I know you guys here hate Dodge with a passion, but if it wasn't for that Hemi your Tundra would only be around 300hp.
This is a good point, but that 6.1 Hemi wouldn't be able to touch the Tundra's 5.7 in fuel efficiency...

·
Registered
330 Posts
:confused: Threads like these bring out the trolls...

I'm sure if Toyota wanted to make a truck to compete with the SRT-10 Ram or the Lightning they'd have no problem doing so. The fact that the production engine can even come close to competing with the above trucks with their specialized engines shows how far ahead of the game Toyota is right now.

There isn't one standard production half ton truck that would make the HP a Toyota would after being S/C'd. The nicest thing about it is that the engine's internals should handle it no problem. Only minor mod's should need to be made to the tranny and rear end.
BS! There are videos on the net of SC'd 6.0 Chevy's putting out 1000hp on the street. If you seriously think that other manufacturers couldn't get more power out of their existing engines you're crazy. If Toyota was so far ahead of everyone then why couldn't get 300 hp from the 4.7? We're not talking about 300 hp differences here, were talking 30 or so. Toyota is running a DOHC engine with headers to get that 381, GM is using a pushrod without headers to get their HP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is a good point, but that 6.1 Hemi wouldn't be able to touch the Tundra's 5.7 in fuel efficiency...

We don't know that until it actually happens. They could use a different transmission and gearing just like Toyota did. Would you have ever thought that a Toyota 5.7 could get an honest 15 mpg when their 3.4 could only get 18 in a truck half the size? I sure didn't.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts