Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Sequioa SR5 was parked and locked behind my house and on a Battery Tender battery charger. The vehicle was locked in my backyard and my wife and I went to Florida for the Winter. A few days ago our neighbor called and said that the lights were on in the car. I used my Ring camera to look at the vehicle at night and I saw that the parking lights were on. A few minutes later the headlights came on, the tail lights also came on. The car was flashing the parking lights, then headlights & taillights in about a 10-20 minute interval. We called the police to see if the car had been broken into. The police came and verified that the vehicle was locked. So I called my son to go to the house and check things out. He got the car keys and verified that the car was locked. He opened the drivers door and verified that the light switch was off, but the lights were intermittently flashing and the dash lights were on. I had him start the car and then turn the lights on with the switch, then off, now the lights went off. Then he locked the car with the key fob and the headlights came right back on. Crazy. Disconnecting the battery charger had no effect. So I had him just lock the car and let the lights drain the battery. At least the car will stay put until I get home in the spring.
Any Idea what is going on? The Sequoia has 250K miles, has been meticulously maintained and in all other respects runs great and has been good vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
Apparently the coating around all the wiring is soy based and mice like the taste. Quite possible you have a nest in your truck somewhere and they caused a short. Have your son put out some poison and I also heard they dont like mothballs so put some of those in there too if thats true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I would immediately disconnect the battery ground and leave it disconnected for the winter. This might preserve your battery and prevent a possible fire caused by a short circuit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,922 Posts
Apparently the coating around all the wiring is soy based and mice like the taste. Quite possible you have a nest in your truck somewhere and they caused a short. Have your son put out some poison and I also heard they dont like mothballs so put some of those in there too if thats true.
Beat me too it - how are you Brother?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
Beat me too it - how are you Brother?
Yes, I did beat you to it, I dont see you around here quite as much anymore. All good for me Toby, how about you?
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top