Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a place to get a driver side mirror? I've looked at the usual suspects (ebay, etc) but can;t find exactly what I need. I am looking for the chrome limited power mirror with self dimmer, defrost, memory and puddle lamp. Does anyone have any links? Possibly Sparks Toyota (contact info???)? Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The dealer just quoted me a cost on that - $754.23. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, unfortunatley I don't have a part number. :( Where was it that you found it online?

I came across some on ebay with the signal and the defroster. My housing is good - is there a way to replace only the glass? Say if I bought the one from Ebay, removed the glass and put in my housing. I assume the memory function would be in the housing mechanism itself. I'd also still have the puddle lamp and power functions as well. Just thinking.... If I went that route, the mirror could be had for less than $150.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just stepped outside to confirm - the memory and power adjusting options are contained in the housing, So if I can find a mirror that has the defogger and self dimming, I think I can get it to clip back in on the housing's holders (the ones that hold the mirrir into the adjustable base in the housing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay - got the whole housing reassembled now - just need a mirror to slide down on the mounting plate tabs and I'll be good to go. Anyone got any idea where I might could find just the mirror? I would like it to be self-dimming and defrosting, but can live with just the defrost part. Not gonna pay $800 for a mirror.....

Are any/all of the Tundra mirrors self dimming? Or just the Limited?

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It appears I have found just replacement glass. Looking at the backside of the mirror, it is stamped Gentex (what a surprise). Going to their website and looking to get one, it redirects you to mitocorp who happens to sell Muth signal mirrors. There's three fitments for the Tundra:

Tundra - Heated 2007-2008 220-0276-H $269.00
Tundra - Amber 2007-2008 220-0293-0 $219.00
Tundra - Heated, Amber 2007-2008 220-0293-H $269.00

I still am going to call and verify that it's just replacement glass and hopefully I might can order one side to cut down on the cost. We'll see. I still can't believe this thing costs $800 from the dealer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Let us know what you find...

I want the origional Limited mirrors instead of the tow mirrors that I have now, but can't stand the idea of shelling out $1300 to get the switch and mirrors. I shouldn't have taken delivery without having them put the auto folds back on.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What other things I've found so far:

Local salvage yard has access to two (nationwide, they say) and they'll run me around $400 for housing and all. This is OEM equipment.

Found these two items on fleabay:

TUNDRA 2007 2008 2009 L SIDE MIRROR TURN SIGNAL DIMMING : eBay Motors (item 220563844332 end time Apr-29-10 00:18:59 PDT) ---> Have a question in to the seller regarding the fit/finish, color of the signal, is it heated, and will it mount to the original base plate in the housing.

08 Toyota Tundra Mirror POWER HEATED SIGNAL Chrme/Blk L : eBay Motors (item 350342745048 end time Apr-21-10 13:58:05 PDT) ---> Waiting to hear back from seller regarding the auto-dimmer in this one as well as the color of the signal. I also wonder if the chrome cap would fit the original housing, just out of curiosity...

While I'm looking, I'll see if I can find you a switch. If so, you could have the OEM mirrors from a salvage yard at around $400 each. Depending on the cost of a switch, you might could have the OE Limited mirrors for less than a grand, and then sell your tow mirrors to offset some of the cost.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Have you tried checking out the classified section here or maybe and some on replaced theirs for tow mirrors. Also check the local craigslist I see a set there now and then usually lots cheaper than the dealers. There also a company called A1autoparts or something...

Toyota Tundra Mirror - Side View at 1AAuto.com&

Found the link maybe buy the cheaper unit and use most of the limited parts you have left if all you need is the mirror.... Looks like you can get a heater power with turn signal for just a little over 100.00 for one side.

These afew not OEM but the fits really close and looks just like OEM.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually wound up stumbling across one at a salvage yard about an hour ago. It's already on the way here. I guess that solves my problem.

Now I wonder if there's any kind of market for the power motor, puddle lamp, or the housing as a whole.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I actually wound up stumbling across one at a salvage yard about an hour ago. It's already on the way here. I guess that solves my problem.

Now I wonder if there's any kind of market for the power motor, puddle lamp, or the housing as a whole.
Did you see the limited mirror switch at the salvage yard? I'm looking for one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you see the limited mirror switch at the salvage yard? I'm looking for one.

No, but I can call the guy who helped me find this one and check for you. Might be later tomorrow. He called a guy who knew a guy (or something like that) and set me up with a place he was pretty sure that had an odd one lying around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would suggest talking to your Toyota dealership's parts or accessories manager. Alot of heated, and Limited mirrors wind up on parts dep't shelves when buyers upgrade to tow mirrors. I got a brand new set of Platinum mirrors for $100. Another reason these can be found is because Toyota has a TSB (technical service bulletin) stating putting power folding mirrors on a lower grade Tundra voids Toyota's warranty on the mirrors when they get folded manually, then folded back out, they start to become loose and vibrate. The TSB states itis because the truck does not have the hardware to make the mirrors work correctly (i.e. power fold). I found that my SR5 was wired for folding mirrors in the dash harness, and the switch connector, but the door harnesses lacked 2 wires for the folding motor controls. I plugged in a folding mirror switch, added the 2 wires in each door harness, and wired my puddle lights to the door courtesy lamp that comes on whenever the door is opened. The folding mirror motor function is critical to keeping the mirrors tight and stable. Due to this condition, some mirrors got shelved because they couldn't be waranteed, and couldn't be sold as new either. I had NO idea the mirrors were that expensive new. Wow!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would suggest talking to your Toyota dealership's parts or accessories manager. Alot of heated, and Limited mirrors wind up on parts dep't shelves when buyers upgrade to tow mirrors. I got a brand new set of Platinum mirrors for $100. Another reason these can be found is because Toyota has a TSB (technical service bulletin) stating putting power folding mirrors on a lower grade Tundra voids Toyota's warranty on the mirrors when they get folded manually, then folded back out, they start to become loose and vibrate. The TSB states itis because the truck does not have the hardware to make the mirrors work correctly (i.e. power fold). I found that my SR5 was wired for folding mirrors in the dash harness, and the switch connector, but the door harnesses lacked 2 wires for the folding motor controls. I plugged in a folding mirror switch, added the 2 wires in each door harness, and wired my puddle lights to the door courtesy lamp that comes on whenever the door is opened. The folding mirror motor function is critical to keeping the mirrors tight and stable. Due to this condition, some mirrors got shelved because they couldn't be waranteed, and couldn't be sold as new either. I had NO idea the mirrors were that expensive new. Wow!
Do they have more? I am interested in a set with puddle lights

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw 2 sets on our parts dep't top shelf gathering dust today. I'm getting another set(separate from these sets) for myself as spares next week in exchange for the labor to install tow mirrors, since my warranty doesn't cover my mirrors. The mirrors belong to our accessories mgr, to sell as he chooses. I can put a bug in his ear for you to see what he'd want to do with them. Sorry, not trying to hijack a thread. Just letting everyone know they are out there in limbo. We are a small town dealer, so there ought to be more in other areas. That's why I suggested talking to dep't mgr's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw 2 sets on our parts dep't top shelf gathering dust today. I'm getting another set(separate from these sets) for myself as spares next week in exchange for the labor to install tow mirrors, since my warranty doesn't cover my mirrors. The mirrors belong to our accessories mgr, to sell as he chooses. I can put a bug in his ear for you to see what he'd want to do with them. Sorry, not trying to hijack a thread. Just letting everyone know they are out there in limbo. We are a small town dealer, so there ought to be more in other areas. That's why I suggested talking to dep't mgr's.

Well, if you are interested in selling them for him (or for yourself), shoot me a price. I'm not going to pay $500 for a mirror or anything, but if there just collecting dust I might entertain a reasonable offer.

My dealer here says they'd have to be ordered even when I called back and explained about anyone switching out for the tow mirrors. He told me, "we don't do that here." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Make sure these mirrors are OEM.I'm waiting for a return label to send a Towing Mirror back. Looked exactly like a stock mirror but the power adjustment wasn't even close to being like it should've. Bought one from Sparks, it's the real deal,Conicelli has a great price on 'em too.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
There isn't a lot of upgrading going on where I am at so the dealer doesn't have parts. Or so many staff have Tundras, the stuff disappears quickly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts