Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my rear diff oil a while back. I had some chatter, so I put in a tube of the additive and the chatter disappeared. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'm getting just a slight amount of chatter when I first move move the vehicle after it has been sitting for a few hours.

Is there anything wrong with adding another tube of additive?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, persoanly i would ask a toyota ase tec. or a master tech. we do have a few here.
i knew of 1 new guy here. i would ask him, due to the fact, he works at the dealership & they would only put in certain types of fluids though out the whole vehicle. so to be on the safe side, thats what i'd do.
i know many of you do your own work. but i heard here of storys ,due to adding the in-correct fluid they had a failure. so i would wait until someone that is a ase answer you, or just call your dealership & ask them what type of rear diff. grease do they use, & what type of additive would they use.
but thats me.
i'd hate for you to need a new rear end.
i deleted all my messages, but i said to him thankyou for joining.
we need your experience here. so i don't have his TS name, sorry.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is an '03 with the Eaton clutch-type LS. Been dealing with chatter gremlins for a long time.
A few things to keep in mind:
The LSD will chatter if the truck has been unused for a few days. This may be more pronounced with synthetic lubes- theory (only) has it that the lube leaves the clutch surfaces more easiliy than dino.
Excessive amounts of LS additive will kill your limited slip action- "one wheel peels" will result. This is reversible by changing the oil/reducing the amount of additive.
Make sure that your brakes aren't dragging; the emergency brake bellcranks can be sticky due to corrosion, giving drag until they pop loose.
Eaton only recommends non-synthetic lubes in their clutch-type units. I had good results using the dino Amalie 80w-90 gear oil with LS additive already in it. I did have to add a little LS additive to get the chatter to stop.
I'm currently running Amsoil severe gear 75-110 with Amsoil LS additive (whole bottle, forget the actual volume quantity)- I get slight chatter after the truck hasn't been used. I'm not sure if the LS action is right, either- had some one-wheel effect last winter.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I changed my rear diff oil a while back. I had some chatter, so I put in a tube of the additive and the chatter disappeared. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'm getting just a slight amount of chatter when I first move move the vehicle after it has been sitting for a few hours.

Is there anything wrong with adding another tube of additive?
If it only chatters when you first move, it's probably cuz the oil runs off of it while sitting. Once you start driving everything gets lubed again and the chatter stops. If this is the case, extra additive won't do any good. As stated above, too much additive will affect the LS function. If you do decide to add more, put a small amount in at a time rather than an entire tube.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...The LSD will chatter if the truck has been unused for a few days. This may be more pronounced with synthetic lubes- theory (only) has it that the lube leaves the clutch surfaces more easiliy than dino...
I used 100% synthetic when I changed it last. Since the chatter is very minor, I'll just ignore it for a while. Will go back to dino on the next change.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I had chatter when first bought my truck, replaced the fluid with lucas heavy duty which is rated for LSD. that alone completly eliminated the chatter I had. Might be worth a shot considering its not much money

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have a question about this and could use the help.
I'm going to do a rear differential oil change and have a LSD. I have decided to go non-synthetic. I'm thinking of buying a quality 80w 90 oil in a one gallon size and a tube(4 ounce I think) of LSD additive. My tundra is a 2002 TRD ext-cab 4wd. The manual states 3.3 qt. One gallon should be enough. Now the question. Should I add the entire tube of additive to the gallon of oil and mix it good, or will that delute it to much since I wont need the whole gallon? Or should I put the whole tube in the empty Diff. first, then fill and top off with the oil? Is there any oil with the additive in it already, and availible at local stores like autozone, etc. that are not synthetic? Already in seems like it would take the guess work out, but I only see it in sythetics.
While I'm at it, I wanted to know about the front diff. I was going to do that first because I have no worries about the oil. Just going with a good 75w 90 non-syth. and don't need the extra stuff, because no LSD. I read around that I'll need a 10mm allen socket for the drain and fill plugs. Well guess what??? it's to big and a 8mm too small. I can't find a 9mm, and not sure if that's it. Is the size different for 02's over other years? What to do?! getting a real headache over this. PLEASE HELP.
I'm new here and hope I posted this in the proper area, if not,excuse me. Thanks for all advise.

·
Registered
232 Posts
3.3 Qt's = ~106 fluid oz's. 7 of those 106 oz's should be your tube of LSD oil. That is the way I did mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
3.3 Qt's = ~106 fluid oz's. 7 of those 106 oz's should be your tube of LSD oil. That is the way I did mine.
So, it's OK to put the tube of additive in the diff. first and then fill/top off with the oil?
I suppose it will all mix together once things get moving in there.
Is there a good non-syn. oil that is ready to go without the additive? I was gonna use Castrol hypod C 80w 90 but the young man at the auto store said he thinks I still needed the extra additive. I'm not so sure he's right. All he did was read the bottle and say "yeah you should probably add it to be safe" I know I don't want to much in there and I thought Castrol was the way to go according to the Castrol website. thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Any good gear oil that meets GL-5 will do just fine.

The Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 is good stuff, but I would add the LSD additive to insure there is no problems. Mobil 1 75w90 states, "...meet the highest level performance requirements of modern passenger vehicles in all types of operating conditions including limited slip applications..." but I have read here that some have heard some clatter with just Mobil1, so they added the LSD oil to quiet things down.

In my experience with LSD's, what is really important is not so much the brand of oil and additive, it is changing in out on schedule.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DMZX, thanks for the help. I'll go for it. I didn't change it myself first time around because I thought Toyota had some special fluid and didn't want to chance it. It wasn't cheap and now I know I can and prefer to do it myself. I did it with my JEEP XJ I used to have and it was simply on that lil SUV. I used a oil called CRC. bottle stated for limited slip diff right on front label in big letters, nothing extra was needed. JEEP did fine with it. However, PEP BOYS don't carry anymore and I can't find in any other auto store. I have seen it on line but it makes no sence to order it and wait. The oils I have to choose from locally are confusing. Like you stated, Mobil1 still needs it. Going to Autozone tomarrow and buying a tube of LSD-ADD. and gallon of good 80w 90. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts