Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Limited Slip Differential primarily used for off road driving? Will it help my truck from screeching the tires in a tight turn when I am punching it on the street?

Please let me know the details of what a Limited Slip Differential will do for my truck -- new at this (but getting there) == Glen

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,339 Posts
Lsd

This LINK should answer most, if not all of you questions.

I have one of these installed in my '02. It's a TRD/KAZUMA unit.
It puts the power to the pavement nicely... However, if you
punch it in the corners, or on a less than solid surface or on any
wet surface it will break traction and the rear will come around.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2003 TRD stock with a limited-slip

I just was searching around and I called the dealer and he said yes he thought that my truck came witha LSD.

Is this correct.

Glen

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
chock the front wheels fore and aft, release the e-brake, put the truck in neutral, pick up the rear of the truck at the pumpkin ie both wheels off the ground, and spin either rear wheel. if they turn opposite, you have an open differential. if they turn the same direction, you have limited slip.

if you dont put the truck in neutral, either it will be extremely difficult/impossible to turn the wheels (limited slip) or the opposite wheel will turn the opposite direction...i think...

-sean

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
glenhaven said:
I just was searching around and I called the dealer and he said yes he thought that my truck came witha LDS.

Is this correct.

Glen
if it is, your differential should have a sticker (red letters) on it that specifies "LSD ONLY" for fluid type.

·
Registered
565 Posts
glenhaven said:
I just was searching around and I called the dealer and he said yes he thought that my truck came witha LDS.

Is this correct.

Glen
Technically, it is not a LDS it is a LSD. Like stated, there is a sticker just below the fill hole on the differential if it is LSD. By the way, you should get some clear lenses to really have a customized look. Your truck looks sweet!

·
6,339 Posts
That reminds me

anmrivera said:
... there is a sticker just below the fill hole on the differential ...
Not that it really matters but the ones I have seen have the sticker just above the fill hole.
That reminds me - I have to install my LSD sticker.

·
Registered
89 Posts
LSD up front

Anybody installed a LSD up front yet. I have one in the rear and it made a huge difference in Moab. I am getting one installed up front next month so I can handle the tougher trails.

·
6,339 Posts
monomial said:
Anybody installed a LSD up front yet. I have one in the rear and it made a huge difference in Moab. I am getting one installed up front next month so I can handle the tougher trails.
I'm not an off-roader, but it sounds like you are ready for an air-locker up front.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
monomial said:
Where and from who? I didn't think anybody made a lsd for the front yet. Share what you know please.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Different but similar question

Am thinking of converting my early 2000 non-LSD to an LSD. I see the Eaton unit available online for $229. Has anyone done this conversion? Any advice? Are there other components I need to replace as well?

Thanks!

·
6,339 Posts
Lsd

aetarrell said:
Am thinking of converting my early 2000 non-LSD to an LSD. I see the Eaton unit available online for $229. Has anyone done this conversion? Any advice? Are there other components I need to replace as well?

Thanks!
I had this done on my '02 @ 17K. You will need to replace the two carrier bearings and the gasket.
Make sure you use the included LSD lube additive.

It's a great mod :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Just noticed you're from Nebraska. If you're interested we just need a few more sign ups to qualify for our own Midwest Club section. The sign up is located at the top of the page in the Questions, Comments Forum.

Larry

·
Registered
89 Posts
ricqik said:
Where and from who? I didn't think anybody made a lsd for the front yet. Share what you know please.
TRD just came out with an LSD for the front. I don't know where my diff guy got it but it is still pricey, $480. You could contact River City Differential
3459 Sunrise Blvd, Rancho Cordova, CA 916-852-7109

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pedestrians and bicyclists hurling themselves onto the sidewalk

I have a sticker (red letters) that specifies "LSD ONLY" for fluid type. So I have a factory LSD – however, my truck screeches when taking off while making a sharp turn with very little acceleration -- I resolved some of the screeching when I had the Toyo Proxies installed -- I guess this is normal -- has anyone else experienced this? -- or do I just have a lead foot.

The screeching has pedestrians and bicyclists hurling themselves onto the sidewalk (just kidding). However, the screeching does test their adrenal gland function (LOL)!

Thanks Glen

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
glenhaven said:
I have a sticker (red letters) that specifies "LSD ONLY" for fluid type. So I have a factory LSD – however, my truck screeches when taking off while making a sharp turn with very little acceleration -- I resolved some of the screeching when I had the Toyo Proxies installed -- I guess this is normal -- has anyone else experienced this?
My understanding is that this is characteristic of an LSD. I haven't experienced it myself, but I am not heavy on the accelerator -- at least not around corners.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I see that you guys mentioned about a red sticker for "LSD FLUID". I had a TRD LSD installed since I was on an Open Diff. I ran out to my truck to see if the installer every put a sticker to indicate about having LSD Fluid in the differential, but I dont see it. I am at my time to have my tune up and have my fluid change including my rear diff. So what should I do?

·
6,339 Posts
only LSD oil

icarusarna said:
I see that you guys mentioned about a red sticker for "LSD FLUID". I had a TRD LSD installed since I was on an Open Diff. I ran out to my truck to see if the installer every put a sticker to indicate about having LSD Fluid in the differential, but I dont see it. I am at my time to have my tune up and have my fluid change including my rear diff. So what should I do?
Have your dealer order and install the sticker #41991

1 - 20 of 41 Posts