Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
monomial said:
TRD just came out with an LSD for the front. I don't know where my diff guy got it but it is still pricey, $480. You could contact River City Differential
3459 Sunrise Blvd, Rancho Cordova, CA 916-852-7109
can anyone confirm this? an LSD up front would be awsome with a locker in the back....NEED INFO, where can I get one!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
This is what I'm gonna do too as soon as we can get more info on this. I wanna wait and see how it went with monomial first. he seems to be the first here to know about the front lsd.

·
Registered
173 Posts
7.62mm said:
Have your dealer order and install the sticker #41991
Thanks for the information, ill call my dealer tomorrow to order the sticker or tell them ill pick it up. Just to double check, the sticker is supposed to be located near the fill hole right?

If someone has a picture to indicate where it is that would be helpful? :)

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
RoundTuit said:
My understanding is that this is characteristic of an LSD. I haven't experienced it myself, but I am not heavy on the accelerator -- at least not around corners.
kinda yes and kinda no, its a balancing act when it comes to LSD fluids. Generally speaking a factory LSD fluid will not produce any chatter. I will tell you this though, i took my truck in for x service and they replaced the fluid in my LSD with NON LSD fluid, the result - chatter! Of course this is now fixed, but is it possible that for whatever reason the wrong fluid is in your LSD?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Monomial,
It's been 3weeks, did ya get the fr lsd yet?

Ya know, I was browsing through this site and it said our fr diff is a 7.5" and has the same carrier as the 86-95 IFS diffs. That would mean we can get a fr lsd.

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
Bump

any more news on that front LSD? I have searched all over and cannot any info on it.... If TRD has released such an animal its not on any TRD web pages.

·
Registered
89 Posts
River City said TRD was supposed to come out with one but I don't know if it's out yet. I am getting a Trutrac installed. It is a gear type rather than clutch. I was scheduled to have it installed this Thur., bat had to re-schedule. I will post after install.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Do tell us alittle more about this trutrak. Haven't hear of this name before. Gear type eh. Must be better than a clutch type, right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The experts here can answer better than I. Clutches can wear out. I kind of wish my clutch type was up front and the gear in rear.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Hmm, a torsen lsd, almost like a auto locker. Interesting, do let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Did a little searching on the net and found that these torsen lsd are pretty effective as an all around type lsd. Smooth as a clutch type lsd yet able to lockup (certain % depending on what you choose)for more serious off the pavement driving. Perfect for the front diff cuz the no-slip or lock-rite would of been to aggressive for light offroading unless you're serious about offroading. I may have to get me one of these to pair it with my no-slip.

Monomial,
So how much is it/got it for?
What % split are you getting?

·
Registered
89 Posts
ricqik said:
Did a little searching on the net and found that these torsen lsd are pretty effective as an all around type lsd. Smooth as a clutch type lsd yet able to lockup (certain % depending on what you choose)for more serious off the pavement driving. Perfect for the front diff cuz the no-slip or lock-rite would of been to aggressive for light offroading unless you're serious about offroading. I may have to get me one of these to pair it with my no-slip.

Monomial,
So how much is it/got it for?

What % split are you getting?
It is $900 installed including replacing the 3 seals.

Not sure what % split means.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Torsen lsd have different amount of %/ratio's(from what I've read) that you can choose. EG, say you have a 30/70 split. When one wheel slips it'll transfer up to 70% of it's tq to the wheel with traction and hold/lock it there until both wheels equal in speed/torque. I may be alittle off but that's what I read when trying to find out about the gear type lsd which they call torsen (torque sensing) lsd.

How much would the unit have been without the install?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess I should have done a little more research on my options, but I wouldn't know which % is best anyway. I got the lsd for $445.

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
ricqik said:
So, did ya get it installed yet?
you and I are on the same wave length or something, I was just looking at this thread again earlier today wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Front LSD did not work

Turns out, Foothill 4WD had it wrong and the locker did not fit the truck. This
was only discovered way into the install. Looks like even the experts get it wrong sometimes. They did replace the seals, not that it was needed but at 90K miles, probably not a bad idea.
OH well. The up side, thats $900 for other stuff.

·
Registered
2005 Tundra Dbl Cab Limited: jba long tube headers, 2.5" X-pipe dual exhaust
43 Posts
S
I see that you guys mentioned about a red sticker for "LSD FLUID". I had a TRD LSD installed since I was on an Open Diff. I ran out to my truck to see if the installer every put a sticker to indicate about having LSD Fluid in the differential, but I dont see it. I am at my time to have my tune up and have my fluid change including my rear diff. So what should I do?
What should you do? Seriously?.... Put LSD fluid in it, because it's an LSD.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts