Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I searched for "limited slip" within the 4runner forum and didn't see too much info on this subject. I might be in the market for a late 90's to early 00's 4Runner and was wondering if the LSD rear end was common, or even an option with say the "Limited" or SR5 models. If so, is there an easy way to identify this other than running the VIN with a dealer, or looking for the rear end tag? I live in the midwest where it snows here and there throughout the winter, but it's no Colorado, so I think LSD would get me by without the 4WD expenses. I would LOVE to hear from the 4Runner enthusiast's out there about this subject. Also if it's not too much to ask - are there certain years of 4Runners that are prone to problems and that I should stay away from? Any advice you guys can throw at me is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Kelly

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
As far as I know it was never offered in the 3rd generation 4runner. There was an electric locker that was available until 2000. The locker probably isn't what you are looking for, but if you off road, it is a nice addition. There are aftermarked LSDs that you can get.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Limited slip was almost standard and works very well especially when combined with TRAC of the 00 models. It applies breaks to the wheels that are slipping so the power is transferred to the other. 4X4 is excellent and the 4X2 is very affective as well.

Good luck! Post your ride when you get it.

Your first 4Runner??

·
Registered
199 Posts
i actually just installed a limited slip in my 99 4runner - it was a tochgi fugi limited slip i got from downey offroad - and ill tell you what - that thing hooks up just as well as my locker in my tacoma that i used to have. I spent a week in baja with it and went thru rocks, sand dunes, everything and it was flawless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts