Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets,

I'm new here, joined in desperation seeing that I will have to take matters into my own hand.

My 2008 Tundra 4.7 has 270 k2m's on it so it's about 'half done' :) It's also been posting P0418/0419/2442 air-injection pump codes for a long time, maybe not all 3 of the above. I have absolutely no intentioon of ever replacing any of these pumps/valves or what-have-you. A while ago the flashing 4Lo also illuminated and that's when I got introduced to Totaya sight-seeing a.k.a. Limp-Mode which really applies to Toyota and not the the rest of this truck (I never use 4Lo BTW). That was on the return leg of a 700 km trip towing home a tractor I had just bought! After a few tech visits (but maybe on its own) the 4Lo stopped flashing and normal mode resumed. Now it's back again. Disconnecting the battery clears the anunciation as well as the limp but they return soon after engine start. What exactly causes 4Lo to ALSO illuminate and flash? I'm asking because it seems that THAT's the one that causes the limp. Without the flashing 4Lo I just have the engine light on all the time. For this first posting I'm going to otherwise keep it simple: is it possible to permanently disable Limp-Mode altogether? I'm of the opinion that this mode was fatally flawed at the moment of conception already and needs to be exterminated (it's extremely DANGEROUS as are some others of the Totaya 'mode' collection and i WILL tell horror tales later including complete engine shutdown for no reason in the 'shared' passing lane).

Thanks a meg for any practical ideas

·
Registered
735 Posts
There is a bypass for the secondary air injection system that can be installed without replacing the entire system, for several hundred dollars, as opposed to the several thousand to replace the system. Search here for Hewitt Tech. They have an awesome reputation for giving advice and walking you thru the issue.

The specific combination of lights will help tell you what is wrong with the vehicle. There is a chart on here that explains the combinations of lights and what the issue was. The flashing 4LO light does not necessarily mean there is an issue with the 4WD system.

In general, dash lights indicate a problem. When they start flashing, it indicates a more serious problem, and when the vehicle goes into limp mode, it is to protect the vehicle from serious damage.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
What he said. Here's the thread asc was talking about. Shoot a message to hewitt-tech and he will hook you up, super helpful guy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greets,

I'm new here, joined in desperation seeing that I will have to take matters into my own hand.

My 2008 Tundra 4.7 has 270 k2m's on it so it's about 'half done' :) It's also been posting P0418/0419/2442 air-injection pump codes for a long time, maybe not all 3 of the above. I have absolutely no intentioon of ever replacing any of these pumps/valves or what-have-you. A while ago the flashing 4Lo also illuminated and that's when I got introduced to Totaya sight-seeing a.k.a. Limp-Mode which really applies to Toyota and not the the rest of this truck (I never use 4Lo BTW). That was on the return leg of a 700 km trip towing home a tractor I had just bought! After a few tech visits (but maybe on its own) the 4Lo stopped flashing and normal mode resumed. Now it's back again. Disconnecting the battery clears the anunciation as well as the limp but they return soon after engine start. What exactly causes 4Lo to ALSO illuminate and flash? I'm asking because it seems that THAT's the one that causes the limp. Without the flashing 4Lo I just have the engine light on all the time. For this first posting I'm going to otherwise keep it simple: is it possible to permanently disable Limp-Mode altogether? I'm of the opinion that this mode was fatally flawed at the moment of conception already and needs to be exterminated (it's extremely DANGEROUS as are some others of the Totaya 'mode' collection and i WILL tell horror tales later including complete engine shutdown for no reason in the 'shared' passing lane).

There is a bypass for the secondary air injection system that can be installed without replacing the entire system, for several hundred dollars, as opposed to the several thousand to replace the system. Search here for Hewitt Tech. They have an awesome reputation for giving advice and walking you thru the issue.

The specific combination of lights will help tell you what is wrong with the vehicle. There is a chart on here that explains the combinations of lights and what the issue was. The flashing 4LO light does not necessarily mean there is an issue with the 4WD system.

In general, dash lights indicate a problem. When they start flashing, it indicates a more serious problem, and when the vehicle goes into limp mode, it is to protect the vehicle from serious damage.
Thanks
Sorry, I forgot to mention that 4Lo will NOT engage. Still, if I read the codes right all my Limp-Mode problems are related to the SAIS so installing one of the Hewitt-Tech kits might be the answer. I've sent them a message.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he said. Here's the thread asc was talking about. Shoot a message to hewitt-tech and he will hook you up, super helpful guy.

Neat stuff! A little pricey though. I'll think about it depending on what they come back with. The kit(s) plus my mechanic taking 2 hours and all of that in canadian pesos could approach the thousand mark :-(

I'm delaring war on Toyata for having risked our lives (for starters) with an uncommanded engine-shutdown while in a shared passing lane. I know I can't beat them but it's like the ant VS the elephant. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this Limp-Mode issue from my practical perspective in the meanwhle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greets,
My 2008 Tundra 4.7 has 270 k2m's on it so it's about 'half done' :) ...
I've ordered the Gen-II kit + 2 pos. This is good stuff for Hewitt-Tech but doesn't reduce the arrogance of the manufacturer's practices even without the bloated parts prices.

Putting a car into limp mode because of a polution issue during a cold-start may be debatable at best although that would do nothing to rectify the problem. And once totoyahaha decides to go for limp-mode anyway, why does that limp mode not self-cancel once the engine has warmed up? Is it because they want the owner, driver, and all occupants of the car that happens to be passing uphill on a two-lane road to get scared to death and run to the dealer to spend more money in order to survive? Would that classify as just your friendly planned-obsolescence or rather as intimidation with the threat of deadly violece? It reminds me rather of a mafia protection scheme. Similarly, I understand that totoyahaha had issues with runaway engines some years back but does that justify forcing a full engine shutdown while the vehicle is passing on a two-lane highway just because the air valve fails to close 'completely' on pedal release out of a kickdown? Is it possible for designers to be THAT stupid or are we talking deeply researched criminal methods to enforce planned obsolescence?

Whose prerogative is the administrative decision to initiate a limp-mode or a shutdown under critical conditions (i.e. the car not parked), the manufacturer's or the owner's? And it isn't just totoyahaha, the same goes for the big-3 and the fritziemobile as well as the tractor manufaturers. Like predatory parasites they are openly challenging the very people who feed them, those without whom they'd soon have to resume their diet of rewarmed cockroaches. They should all be sitting in jail, not in boardrooms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts