Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2010 DC bed Line-X in May of this year. When I was washing it, I found that the tailgate is already starting to peel. It looks like it was sprayed very thin in that area. There was a bubble that appeared last week. I took it back to the shop that did the work, and immediately blamed it on me. I was informed that a Motorcycle ramp must of done the damage. I explained that I have not had any bikes or ATV’s since its too hot for me to ride now. They offered to respray the tailgate as a courtesy, but I was told if it peels again I will have to pay. They wanted me to leave the truck for a few days. I just made an appointment for one day this week to leave the tailgate only. Has any one else had this problem? I was reading the lifetime warranty on Line-X site, and it mentions nothing of what they said.
This is what I found on their site

“Lifetime Warranty
Every LINE-X® Spray-On Bedliner comes standard with a Limited Lifetime Warranty that’s valid at any of our close to 500 LINE-X locations nationwide. So no matter how tough the daily wear and tear you put your bedliner through, LINE-X has you covered. It is what we call serious protection.
"At LINE-X, we believe in protecting our customers with both our products and our service. When customers buy a LINE-X bedliner, they know it's fully backed by the LINE-X Corporation and their LINE-X dealer."

-Kevin Heronimus, LINE-X CEO

I also asked how come it faded so fast, and I was told that it is normal. It looks very dull now.

Area where peeling,

and overall of bed, area on lower right of tail gate.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hmm... I hope that is just a poor dealer, not an example of the nationwide policy of Line-X. I paid a LOT of money to have Line-X because I wanted the warranty and know that I didn't have to worry about any issues. The way the warranty reads to me is that if you find a way to defeat the Line-X, they will fix it.... no matter what.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also paid a lot of money. I sold my Plastic one that came with the truck to get the Line-X. I will check on to that person that is on this forum, if they give me more trouble.

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah that doesn't sound right. I haven't had problems with my line-x but I have it on my tundra and had it installed on my previous truck as well and every time I got it done they always talked about "if anything happens just bring it back in and we will fix it"

Maybe just a bad dealer. Since you CAN take it to any dealer I would try another dealer if they give you too much hassle.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
yeah that doesn't sound right. I haven't had problems with my line-x but I have it on my tundra and had it installed on my previous truck as well and every time I got it done they always talked about "if anything happens just bring it back in and we will fix it"

Maybe just a bad dealer. Since you CAN take it to any dealer I would try another dealer if they give you too much hassle.
This is what I was thinking too. Hopefully the OP has another local dealer.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You might do a little detective work while you are there next time. Make sure they are in fact using Line-X material. there was a franchise here in Houston that was shut down becasue they were using the Line-X equipment to shoot generic bedliner.

I witnessed the Line-X drums used to spray mine and it still looks new after 2.5 years. I did opt for the Xtra, but even yours should hold its gloss for atleast 1 year.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Also, I was told to pressure wash it about once a year to help keep it looking new. haven't had it long enough to notice any type of fade so I don't know if this is true or not but just something to think about as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might do a little detective work while you are there next time. Make sure they are in fact using Line-X material. there was a franchise here in Houston that was shut down becasue they were using the Line-X equipment to shoot generic bedliner.

I witnessed the Line-X drums used to spray mine and it still looks new after 2.5 years. I did opt for the Xtra, but even yours should hold its gloss for atleast 1 year.
When I take it back, I will look. I did see yellow 55 gallon drums in the back, but could not see the logo since it was so far back of the shop.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It could've been poor surface rep in the one area. He'll need to grind it, prep it, and respray it. He'll probably touch it up with some of the aerosol can stuff (not heat applied). Good luck !!!!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
that scrape look just like mine. how i got mine was when loading rolls of goat fences, i got lazy and shoved it in and the end of the fence got caught in somehow and ripped up a little piece of resin. it was its a little over 4ft long so i couldn't load it in the other way and roll it in. you know that spray that people use to clean their engine, not the degreaser, but the detailer, i suppose that would keep the bedliner shinny if thats wat you like.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well it does line up with a scrape on the plastic trim so something did scrape it but thats beside the point...one of the selling points about that miraculous coating is that it wont do that and they will fix it if it falls apart. that fading is what i see on EVERY spray in liner around here regardless of brand so thats why i dont care much for them..to me they look like butt in a year....

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
i would take it back to the shop that did mine, but its like in houston which is 3 hours away. i only paid 150 anyways so it dont bother me too much. wow your bed looks brand new minus the new shine. my bed is all trashed as u can see from the tail gate lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts