Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a LINE-X bedliner sprayed on to my new 2007 Tundra Double Cab Standard Bed. I was very impressed by the installation process and the quality of the product so I thought I would share a lot of my info and photos to help others that may be considering LINE-X for their trucks.

The following link brings up my article which explains the installation process and includes 44 photos of my truck before the install, during prep work, in the spraying area, and after the install was completed.

[URL="http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/pmf/line-x-tundra/linex-2007-tundra.htm"]http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/pmf/line-x-tundra/linex-2007-tundra.htm[/URL]

This should help any of you that are looking for more detailed LINE-X info like I was a few weeks ago. It is a tough decision to have your factory new and nearly perfect truck scuffed up so that a permanent liner can be sprayed on, but now that it is done I am very satisfied and glad that I did it. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like they did a great job on your truck! :tu: Are you pleased with the grip of the Line-X? When I got mine sprayed way back in '01, I thought the Line-X was a tad slicker than the Rhino, so I went with the latter. Enjoy it, as I am sure you will wear out long before that liner does!! :D

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LINE-X material provides a lot of grip since the entire surface is evenly speckled like course sand paper. The material bonds to the metal so strongly that if you forcefully chip it off it will pull the paint and primer with it. The installer said the best way to remove LINE-X is by pouring liquid nitrogen in the bed to make it condense rapidly and pop off of the metal, however you would only need to do this if the original installation was botched and you would have to reinstall it again or the exposed metal would quickly rust away.

I like the LINE-X surface for most hauling needs but I am concerned it might actually be too much grip for some sensitive cargo like finished wood, plastic, plexiglass, or other materials which I wouldn't want to scratch up. In those cases I will insert a thin black mat which I have left over from my 2002 Tacoma. This mat is similar to the lining inside of toolbox or kitchen drawers so it prevents slipping without scratching the cargo. I will also need to install some black rubber workshop mats whenever human cargo will be in the bed, such as July 4 when we pile into the bed to tailgate at the local fireworks show. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks great and the price you paid seems very reasonable. My only questions is why did he not tape off the access panel on the tailgate? Looks like he sprayed the liner right inside the tailgate (except for the handle latch mechanism which was taped off).

·
Registered
77 Posts
funny, i just got line-x on my 07 but they didn't spray the bed plugs. nice job though! looks like mine!

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the installer about the bed plugs and he said he would just spray right over them. I didn't have a problem with this for the following reasons:
  1. I plan to install a hard removable multi-section bed lid as soon as I can find the right product in stock. This will keep rain or snow from filling the bed thus I won't need the bed plugs and would prefer them to be sealed to keep moisture out of the bed when the lid is on.
  2. If I change my mind and want to use the bed plugs later then I will just drill small holes through the LINE-X and plastic bed plugs, then install a black plastic PVC tube in each hole with a threaded cap to seal the drains when I am not using them.
The installer also explained that he normally likes to spray as much of the inside of the access panel as possible to make sure all the cross support panels are covered. He only taped off the areas which had moving parts such as the latch and camera area and the places where the tailgate opening rod crosses over the cross suppor panels. I was happy with this approach - more liner protection can't possibly hurt and is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I talked to the installer about the bed plugs and he said he would just spray right over them. I didn't have a problem with this for the following reasons:
  1. I plan to install a hard removable multi-section bed lid as soon as I can find the right product in stock. This will keep rain or snow from filling the bed thus I won't need the bed plugs and would prefer them to be sealed to keep moisture out of the bed when the lid is on.
  2. If I change my mind and want to use the bed plugs later then I will just drill small holes through the LINE-X and plastic bed plugs, then install a black plastic PVC tube in each hole with a threaded cap to seal the drains when I am not using them.
The installer also explained that he normally likes to spray as much of the inside of the access panel as possible to make sure all the cross support panels are covered. He only taped off the areas which had moving parts such as the latch and camera area and the places where the tailgate opening rod crosses over the cross suppor panels. I was happy with this approach - more liner protection can't possibly hurt and is not a bad thing.
sorry, i made a mistake. i just checked and they did spray the plugs too.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost forgot. While I was at the LINE-X shop I noticed a small stack of mailers on the service desk. The mailer has a coupon inside for $20 off your job. These were not in a public area and I didn't get one before making my appointment so I didn't ask for the discount, however I did ask to take a couple with me for referrals since I know some friends with trucks that are going to want LINE-X after seeing my liner.

I have a few of the mailers left so I can mail these to you for free on a first-come, first-served basis. They are intended for the Franklin, TN location but they are not stamped for the mail and it is obvious they were printed by LINE-X so I am sure your local dealer will honor them. If you want the discount coupon then PM me with your mailing address and it will be sent out the next day. I would recommend negotiating price with your dealer first then spring the coupon on them when you are on-site for the work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts