Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any issues with the factory plastic bed rails rubbing through the paint? I am getting Line-X hopefully this week, don't know if I should ask for a real thin layer of Line-X under the bed rails to prevent rust. My truck is 5 months old and barely used and the plastic bed liner is already rubbing through the paint to bare metal...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm guessing you mean those plastic caps that on top? Even a thin layer might interfere with their fit. Might want to test by taking them off, and laying a thin rag over the rail, then seeing if they still fit OK. May be just fine, but at least will prevent a real headache if they don't fit.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
they wont fit with anything underneath them. and no they fit fine w/o rubbing. heck, even my drop in liner has been in for three years w/o rubbing the paint thorugh...sure its got some hazy scuffed areas the last time it was out but nothing to worry about...

·
Forum Admin
8,245 Posts
Once you take those bed rails off, they'll never fit the same again, with or without line-x under them. My line-x dealer/installer wouldn't take them off for that very reason. They also informed me that the "over the rail" spray was meant for trucks without factory bed rails, such as the older trucks out there. Remember the old Toyota P'ups?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they wont fit with anything underneath them. and no they fit fine w/o rubbing. heck, even my drop in liner has been in for three years w/o rubbing the paint thorugh...sure its got some hazy scuffed areas the last time it was out but nothing to worry about...
Thanks guys, I figured as much. I don't know how you got so lucky though... I've had my truck since the end of January this year, haven't really hauled anything heavy in the bed besides some pine tree limbs. I pulled up the liner this weekend and have worn completely through the paint in some areas already.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Leave the plastic caps on and do not LINE-X the caps or the rails beneath the caps.
Do you have any pics of what our rails look like naked? I searched but could not find any.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Do you have any pics of what our rails look like naked? I searched but could not find any.
I know it was posted here somewhere, but not sure where. CAN tell you that they have a buncha holes in them though.

Edit: looks like someone posted a similar ford pic while I was typing my post!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts