Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
New Tundra owner (just bought it 2 weeks ago) here. I went and got it Line-X'd a day or two later, and was pretty pleased with it - guess I really still am.

I managed to damage my new liner a couple days ago while loading/unloading a heavy piece of concrete. It is a small quarter sized chunk ripped out down to the metal on the edge of the tailgate. Of course, called the dealer and they said they would repair it - no problem. The thing I'm wondering about is they said they had to check their inventory for a "repair kit." I'm a little confused by that, figured they would just spray over that part again.

Should I be worried about the install quality that it is having an issue already, or was I really just too hard on it?

Also, is the repair kit the way that all Line-X dealers repair problems with their bedliners?

Sorry for the first post being such a long one, but thanks for the info. TS has been very helpful to me, even though I've just been a lurker. :)

Bill

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My Rhino was repaired in some manner and it was just as as strong as new. Granted, mine came on the bulkhead up top, but you shouldn't worry about getting it repaired.

If it happens again, then you'll be back up there.

Linex and Rhino and other spray ons are great for the mulch and dirt and whatever else you wanna toss in there, but once you get into rocks and chunks of cement as well as sliding pallets back and forth, better go with a drop in. They are far more durable, but don't look as good. Pros and cons to both.

For what it's worth, my Rhino (2 coats) has taken a lot of abuse fro heavy 100+ lb rocks, pallets of cement, other cement, firewood, dirt, mulch, etc.

-rockstate

·
Registered
916 Posts
wogmail, where in Virginia are you? Can you pm your details about what size bed you have and how much your line-x cost? I am in the market...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you got a bad lineX job altogether. It should be hard as a rock 24 hours after they istall the lineX. I found this out after a friend did the lineX at a different shop from mines and my lineX job was messed up, so whenever I drag anything in the bed the lineX gets scratch and peeled.

Gook luck wasting ur time with the fix, of course they'll fix it but they rather take in other jobs that make money rather than do a repair job. And I never heard such a repair kit BS

Hey All,
New Tundra owner (just bought it 2 weeks ago) here. I went and got it Line-X'd a day or two later, and was pretty pleased with it - guess I really still am.

I managed to damage my new liner a couple days ago while loading/unloading a heavy piece of concrete. It is a small quarter sized chunk ripped out down to the metal on the edge of the tailgate. Of course, called the dealer and they said they would repair it - no problem. The thing I'm wondering about is they said they had to check their inventory for a "repair kit." I'm a little confused by that, figured they would just spray over that part again.

Should I be worried about the install quality that it is having an issue already, or was I really just too hard on it?

Also, is the repair kit the way that all Line-X dealers repair problems with their bedliners?

Sorry for the first post being such a long one, but thanks for the info. TS has been very helpful to me, even though I've just been a lurker. :)

Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't say for sure if you have a problem with your liner job or not, but if you take it down to the original surface, you might have been just be too hard on it. I used to run a Line X machine, and the types of issues we had were bubbles, and an occasional improper mix, you could tell it was an improper mix because you could scratch the surface with your fingernail, it would never quite set up properly.
As I understand it you say you gouged it, that is normal when treated too hard on a green surface. It should not be peeling around the gouged area though. The proper way to fix it would to have them shoot that area again when they are doing another larger job, but understand that it doesn't fill very well(since it dries so quickly) so you will always see the repaired spot.
Good luck,
SScott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, beginning to think I was just too tough on it, because the stuff is not flaking or chipping around it and it is hard as a rock.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
No biggy, took a gouge outta mine too. Patched, never a problem again.... Dropped the corner of an engine block on 'er....don't worry, motor was fine. feeewwwwwww

1 - 8 of 8 Posts