Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I took the plunge and dropped the $450 a couple months ago for a Line-X assuming that I would bypass the headaches of going a cheaper route... wrong! The thing that got me on the day I picked it up is the spray job was spotty.... good for most of it, but a couple areas where it was lumpy and one area where they did something screwy and had to do patch work.... on a brand new spray! The patch work was this rubbery material that looks and feels nothing like the liner... is this standard Line-X repair stuff?

I was going to wait it out a few months to see if I'd bother them for a redo when last week my latch broke. I took it in assuming it was a Toyota warrenty repair. They call me saying that the mechanism was sprayed and the Line-X installer broke it and instead of telling me tried to zip-tie it to fix it. Well, the zip tie finally broke and thats why the latch doesn't work. I call Line-X and they say it was already broken and the zip-tie was just to "help me out" since they didn't want me to have a broken latch. Fact is, it worked before I got the liner and it doesn't work now. They want me to bring it back to them so they can show me what was wrong with it. I think they are going to try to fix it themselves but I want Toyota to do this so it stays warrentied.... is that a reasonable arguement? Toyota says its on the order of $100+ to fix and Line-X said it should have been a $10 part, so there is going to be some butting of the heads going on here.

Any advice on how to approach these guys? Any thoughts on the "rubber patch" repair job on a new liner? I took a chance on this out of the way shop b/c the one in town was a long wait... I should have waited, I guess.... I'll keep the name of the shop off the boards until I find out how this all plays out.

Why can't anything in life ever be done right the first time? :(

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Talk with 123 gone about the patch.

It depends on what part is actually broke. If it is just the clip which is more then lickly the case it should be around $10 as the line X shop says (plus them to install for free) but at Toyota you will pay Outrageous hourly rate for them to simply pull some screws and put the new clip in. (Still this is assuming it is just the clip only) I worked at Toyota for 8+ years so I have seen things like this before. Find out what part actually broke. No biggie it is just the tailgate latch and can be repaired fairly easy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.... yah, he said something like a plastic part broke, but I'm not sure if something else broke due to the zip-tie repair job. Do you happen to know the PN for the plastic clip? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had the whole tailgate handle crack 2 peices about 2 months ago. The fix is quite easy...but the whole handle was around $90 :eek:. This would be assuming that the 2000s are the same for the 2006s. It took me all of 5 minutes to fix, it took me longer to run to the hardware store to get some new nylon washers for the screws on the tailgate.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but my tailgate handle is loose as of a couple of weeks ago. It jiggles, but still works. I use it everyday, multiple times, and don't expect it to last forever, but I'm worried it will just break when I need it the most. Is this pretty much the same thing you guys are talking about, mine just hasn't snapped all the yet?
thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toyota said it was the actual mechanism inside the tailgate on the driver side that had to be replaced. He agreed that it was only a plastic piece, but said you couldn't buy just that piece.... you have to buy the whole assembly. They better go for it!

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Sounds like to me you need to knock a few heads around. Line-x is supposed to be "top dog" when it comes to bed liners. They need to stand behind their product and installation. I wouldn't pay for a botched job. You've got a 1st class truck that cost you a lot of money. You don't want a lousy looking liner. And, as you said, the tailgate latch worked when you took it in. It's time for them to grow up and be big boys and take care of business.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have yet to find a plastic part that was cheap for any of my 3 Toy's and if it's a rubber molded piece get a bank loan!! i would think that a part for a 2000 model would be justa bit cheaper than an 06 but close in price!! I think i am going with a bedrug instead!! then put a rubber mat on top of bedrug!! should be under 400.00 total!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just to protect the good name of Line-X, there's nothing wrong with the product here, it's really just a crappy installer. THEY put the shoddy patch on a brand new job, THEY broke your truck & then lied about it, THEY applied the product incorrectly. I think you're really kind for not plastering THIER name all over the site. I'm not sure I'd be so charitable.

The Line-X product is a good one, but unfortately for you, it's no better than the shop who applies it. Sounds to me like the Line-X coprorate folks should know that they have a shifty & incapable franchisee using thier name & damaging thier reputation.

I get so frustrated by situations like this. You tried to take care of your baby & some A-hole ruined your efforts.

good Luck & keep us posted!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with principal boy...sounds like this LINE-X franchise/installer you went to doesn't know what their doing. And if they did lie about breaking your latch, that is really crappy.

I got one installed out here for $450 a year ago and I love it. No patches, no spots whatsoever, I am very anal about my truck, and totally inspected the application after it was sprayed. It looks great, thick, even application, even the edge up around the top of the bed (below the back window) is perfectly straight. I put stuff it in every other day and clean it and it looks brand new. I am very pleased with it.

I think you should complain to them, for that kind of money you should get better results. And if they give you any bs, send pics to corporate showing them the less then desirable results you got from one of their franchises.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Typical shop bull ****. I am currently in the process of taking a shop to court over some theft and overcharging me as well as doing poor work. Seems that fewer shops these days are willing to be accountable when they mess up

Ryan

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Give them ONE chance to fix it.
Be nice and civil this time (very important).
Be aware of the condition and contents of your ride before arriving (bring it in CLEAN), and let them do what they do.

If they dont make it right, or worsen the condition, THEN....you know what to do...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to protect the good name of Line-X, there's nothing wrong with the product here, it's really just a crappy installer. THEY put the shoddy patch on a brand new job, THEY broke your truck & then lied about it, THEY applied the product incorrectly. I think you're really kind for not plastering THIER name all over the site. I'm not sure I'd be so charitable.

The Line-X product is a good one, but unfortately for you, it's no better than the shop who applies it. Sounds to me like the Line-X coprorate folks should know that they have a shifty & incapable franchisee using thier name & damaging thier reputation.

I get so frustrated by situations like this. You tried to take care of your baby & some A-hole ruined your efforts.

I agree with this and it wasn't meant to tarnish Line-X (the bedliner). Just in my mind that money was to go towards a top notch bedliner and a top notch install... I'm sure they received their top dollar application fee so that what I expected. I did talk to the "manager" yesterday who admited to doing the zip tie quick fix and the shop owner wasn't in. I'll try to reach him today. Maybe he didn't know about it, so we'll see what he has to offer. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Sounds like you need to call in the house detective D**e P****s and his attorney.....he will get er done

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called back this morning and the shop owner was in. He basically wants the opportunity to check the local salvage yards to find an exact replacement and if he can't he said he'll pay to have Toyota replace it. He didn't offer an explanation or apology as to why it was rigged and I wasn't told about it, but was quick to offer to get it taken care of so that was good.

Before I go in, I'm still wondering about this rubber patch work... if that is a standard Line-X repair, then I'll just live with it, but if I need this fixed too, now is the time. It already attracts more dirt so it stands out more and I'm concerned with premature fading if its some cheap repair kit and not "Line-X approved".

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Called back this morning and the shop owner was in. He basically wants the opportunity to check the local salvage yards to find an exact replacement and if he can't he said he'll pay to have Toyota replace it. He didn't offer an explanation or apology as to why it was rigged and I wasn't told about it, but was quick to offer to get it taken care of so that was good.

Before I go in, I'm still wondering about this rubber patch work... if that is a standard Line-X repair, then I'll just live with it, but if I need this fixed too, now is the time. It already attracts more dirt so it stands out more and I'm concerned with premature fading if its some cheap repair kit and not "Line-X approved".
The way it sounds, a DEEP discount is in order.
That said, post some pictures of the overall bed then some close up shots of the patches, showing a couple inches each side of the patch for reference.
That'll help shed some light on your questions / concerns and allow us to give you a better collective opinion on just how hard you should push to resolve your issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I agree completely. I have the Linex in my double cab and could not be happier. It's the installer who's at fault and not Line-X. Let them know that you are completely unsatisfied and will push the issue higher if they don't fix(CORRECTLTY) what they broke.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Here's what I think. If I just paid to have a brand new bedliner installed, it should NOT have any non-LINE-X patch work, period. It sounds like a dealer problem.

So, what to do? Well, I have to assume that from your description, the patch work is not a "LINE-X" product. You need to take it back to the dealer and tell him what you want and don't want. Again, your brand new bedliner should not have any non-LINE-X patch work. Give him the opportunity to make things right. If he does not, you need to contact (telephone, email, or go to) the next closest LINE-X dealer and tell them you want the bed replaced or fixed under warranty and that you have already been back to the original installer. The second dealer will at least need to see some pics (via email) of the liner though. If the bedliner needs to be totally replaced or if there are extensive repairs needed, the second dealer will first need approval from LINE-X Corp. so that the second dealer can be reimbursed for the warranty work.

Even though you are most likely very angry, I suggest you be firm, but keep your cool.

You can find the next closest dealer by using the dealer search function at LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliners...the ultimate truck accessory!

Let me know if I can help, I'll be happy to assist you through the process.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all for the advice. 123gone, yea, i can tell you that its a silicone patch, but apparently thats not Line-X approved, eh? Would they have to cut out a section and respray or respray the whole thing to fix it right?

You can see the pix below of the patch work (pix 4-5) and about 3 blotched spots (pix 1-3). In the "overall" pic (pic 6) you can even barely see the patch at the top in the shade about midway between the bed bolts. That grey area is the silicone patch. I guess I'll see what he wants to do to resolve this and let him know that I realize this isn't a Line-X repair. Now there are alot of factors to work with, but the fact also remains that I don't have endless hours to run in circles with these people.

I might feel different if this guy was apologetic, but his reaction thusfar is like this happens all the time and he'll just fix it and move on. I don't get it... he seems like a nice guy too. I was wondering why they didnt put a Line-x badge on the bed... now i know why ;)

OK, we'll see what happens!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I wouldn't worry one bit about those little drips, but you could cut them off flush with a razor if they really bug you. No matter what you do, they will bother you because you know they are there (been there, done that)

123gone...think it was caused by a dirty nozzle? Incorrect pressure?

The other looks like the sprayer dropped the gun, but I could be mistaken.

123gone will give the best direction fo sho!

I'll post a picture of what the stuff looks like trimmed with a blade, if somebody does not beat me to it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts