Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - what a great resource this forum is! I've got a couple quick questions that hopefully somebody can chime in on. I have the 08 Limited Sequoia (2WD) and I tow a 26 foot Salem travel trailer with weight distribution hitch. Fully loaded it's around about 7,500 lbs. Questions are:

1) With the trailer hooked up, I'm sitting really low in the back. I searched the forum and could not find a recent post about aftermarket airbags for ride leveling. I put in a call to Air Lift and they just told me that they have one that fits the '08 SR5 or Sequoia up to '07, but nothing that will do the 08 LImited. I was told to measure the ID and height of the springs and they can tell me if they have something that will work. Does anybody have an update on aftermarket load levelers? Anybody have similar experience with a comparable load slamming the rear of the Sequoia? I wonder if I have something not setup correctly in the hitch/weight distribution bars that might help?

2) I read a post about gas mileage….with the setup above, I get at best about 8 mpg on flat land. Does that sound right? I thought I read somebody with 6,500 pounds getting double digit mileage. That would be nice….

Thanks everybody!

Dennis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey srock, thanks for the heads up. I had read about half way down, the juicy stuff is at the bottom. Thanks again. I'll assume by the silence on aftermarket airbags that there is nothing anybody knows about?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
As far as I know, the suspension on the Limited and SR5 are the same. Contact a Toyota parts department to see if there is a variance in the part numbers for springs/shocks/etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I installed an Air-Lift 1000 kit last spring on my 2008 SR5 Sequoia. At the time I bought mine, a limited w/o a ride leveling kit had the same springs as mine ( based on my crawling under both w/o calipers ). I don't know if that is true today or not. I tow a 5500# trailer ( loaded ) with a 500-600# tongue weight. I use a Hensley Arrow hitch ( weight distributing ). I found that the stock suspension was a bit 'soft' and bounced too much on pavement cracks. The truck was level with the weight distribution hitch, but the back just bounced too much, especially bothersome when it was a high-frequency bounce. Looking in the rear-view mirror, the kids looked like they were sitting on a mini jackhammer. Installed the airbags and keep them around 20psi. They do not eliminate the bounce, but minimize it to the extent that you no longer notice it. I bought them for about $130 from www.airliftcompany.com. Took about an hour and a half to install them. I fished the filling tube through the frame and mounted the fill valve on it's own plate next to the wiring harness, so if you aren't doing that, you will spend more time putting the vehicle up on jacks and taking it down then installing the air bags. It is a bit of a rougher ride when unloaded, so I usually drop the pressure to 5psi during the winter when I am not towing. I have found that they do not lose pressure over the seasons. If you fill them up to their max pressure ( 50psi? ) they raise the rear of the vehicle about 1-1.5". They also make compressor tanks and switches to make it fill or empty from the drivers seat, but that seemed like a waste of money to me, I just fill it with a tire pump.

As far as mileage, I get around 7-11 depending on elevation ( the higher I go, the better the mpg ), wind, speed, use of cruise control ( really kills the mpg ) and such. It is averaging out to around 9.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. After doing a little research, it's obvious to me that I don't have the wdh properly set up, so I'm going to start from scratch and adjust from the beginning. I think you're right, the SR5 suspension is the same so likely the Air Lift airbags will do just fine. I assume after I set up the hitch, I'll go for the Air Lift also. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
oh crap if i can find the magazine again, i'll give u the exact stuff but trailerlife did a how to set up a WD hitch using an armada....i would assume it wouldnt be too different. the armada dropped the azz badly when it was not done properly...but you shoudl be able to with any WDH setup correctly, u should be able to have a level truck. even if its lower all around due to weight it should sit level. the gas mileage doesnt sound off at all. keep in mind some on here like to fabricate their mpg claims for whatever reason (ignore my fuelly signature, its just there to poke fun at the exaggerators). we routinely have posters who say they get 22mpg in a tundra and then people gripe that they cant get over 15 when in reality the 15 is right on haha.

but i'd say give it another shot at the hitch. if you still have issues, visit a trailer sales lot and see if they can give u pointers. good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 08 SR5 with the airlift bags. I love them for towing. I would get manhandled by semi's on the freeway passing me at 80mph. I was all over the place with just the wd hitch. Best 100 buck's I spent on this thing. Check out jegs. I also upgraded to toyo mt's, E rated tires are a big help towing.

I tow a 20ft toyhauler with around 800lbs tw and about 6800lbs loaded. My mpg's suck bad. Maybe 8mpg while towing going 65mph. If I knew beforehand I would have bought a 3/4 ton diesel. I'm 3500 to 4000 rpm's way to long. I love the suv when not towing. So it works out. I wish we had a 55mph tow speed limit in AZ with this truck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tow about 5000# approx 240 highway miles and get 10-11 mpg according to the readout on the dash. It's flat Florida towing so I just set the cruise to 70-75 mph. I do notice MPG, towing or not, drops quickly the more you push the speed over 65.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only differences in the rear suspension is load leveling or not. Load leveling is standard on the Platinum and an option on Limited. If you have coils in the back, which also means you do not have the adjustable switch on the dash you can add the air lift bags

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's funny, we set cruise at 55-60 (max) because Cali has a 55 speed limit towing and I don't think I can afford a ticket right now....I have a 6 month old eating up all disposable income. I guess my MPG's are typical, 7-9 range, depending on climbing, speed, etc. I agree, that sucks, but I can't imagine a more comfortable towing machine than our Sequoia. As soon as the little one takes a decent nap, I'm going to rebuild the WDH according to a few videos and how to's I've come across and hopefully I can be level. If not, I'll spend the dough and get the SR5 set up from AirLift and call it good. My wife is concerned about tranny stress since when climbing and sometimes on flatland it sits at pretty high RPM's for a while. Anybody have experience with the reliability of this tranny?

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
What's the tongue weight of the salem? If it's sagging that much, it's not being level I'd be worried about. Good luck, camping season is coming to an end soon!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the AirLift part #60786 that you've been installing? Amazon seems to have it for about $70, which seems pretty good deal currently...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tongue weight...don't know it. Speaking of that though, is there a max TW? I've assumed it's around 700 lbs, I never pull it with fresh water tank (in front) full. This has been really helpful in identifying the problem. It's the WDH not necessarily the need for airbags like I first thought. This is my second summer towing a serious trailer with nobody really to teach me these things....except for resource like the tundrasolutions forum, so pardon some of the questions that may seem like no brainers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree that a properly set up wd hitch will ride the best and be the safest. I had mine set up well before the leveling bags too. I thought the rear end was deficient while towing even though it was level. And for 70 bucks it and 20 minutes I would recomend it to any SR5 owner who tow's. I stuffed the upper coil mount with rubber coil isolators and when I wanna lift my rear end 2 inches i just pump up the bags to 30psi. To match my 5100's up front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts