Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
The truck payload is recommended at 2000 lbs. I would watch putting that much in the back of it though especially if you havnet done anything such as add aleafs or bags.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As I said I would watch with that much as this is what the book states. I personally wouldnt put 2000 in the back of mine and I have Air Lift Bags on mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
actually I believe it's 1850 for an AC and 1600 for a DC.

Actually it depends on the year. The 2000 lbs given above is the most accurate, but that is PAYLOAD which needs to include passengers and gear etc... It's not the amount of weight you can put in the bed of the truck on top of everything else. It's everything you put into the truck minus a full tank of gas. That's 2000 lbs, and with two 150 lb guys your available payload becomes 1700 lbs. TheTundra is not a 1 ton truck unfortunately... More like a half ton. I still love it though!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Payload also includes fuel. I get a ton of heating pellets twice a year. The store i buy them at is about 5 miles away and I split it into two trips. 1000 lbs and I hit the bump stops often. It is loaded over the rear axle and back. If I wanted it to handle better I would have to load it in the front of the bed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Let's remember what good sense tells us. If you are going less than a mile at 20 mph with no traffic around, you can probably carry 2,000 lbs in the bed. Just be really careful.

If you will drive in normal traffic ( including on the highway), taking curves and hitting the brakes hard, then you should not overload your truck as not only you can damage it, but you can very well lose control and hurt yourself and others.

Think about safety as we are in a highly litigious society and any such dumb move can cost you plenty.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have hauled over a ton in the bed of my truck a few times(dirt, rocks, and landscaping blocks). The trips are always about 20 miles from anywhere to buy them. So I just drive a little slower than I usually do and make sure and give myself plenty of room. I wouldnt recommend hauling over 2000 just because the front end will start gettting light and squirrly. I do not do this anymore because now I have a 16ft trailer to carry all my junk on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts