Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Tundra with the slightly upgraded stereo, 6 speakers and steering wheel controls. I want to replace the front and rear door speakers with aftermarket speakers. Is there any problem with replacing the front door speakers with 4ohm speakers? I'm not too familiar with electrical load and strain on the radio system or anything.

Can anyone recommend some nice quality speakers to use with the stock radio? I'm not interested in going through the expense and effort or adding an amp for the speakers. What wattage is the stereo head unit supplying to the speakers? I'm not expecting awesome sound, but I would like to see better quality than stock. I know that I need to look for a speaker with a higher sensitivity rating and lower RMS wattage rating.

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ttt. Same question here. The stock sound quality is way below average. Need to do something, but am not familiar with the biggest culprit causing the poor quality. Is it the speakers or the head unit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The front door speakers are 4 ohm. However, the factory head unit only produces enough power to effectively drive the cheap, paper speakers that come from the factory. You could try changing the speakers but they would more than likely be underpowered, plus the factory head unit offers a poor quality signal compared to that of an aftermarket unit.

I recently installed polk audio speakers and a kenwood dnx9960 head unit. Before I changed the speakers, I tested the factory speakers with the new head unit and the improvement was significant. New head unit and new speakers would be the best, but if you are only doing one or the other, I would recommend changing the head unit over the speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts