Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In process of purchasing a 4x4 5.7 DC Ltd. Have always trailered my dirtbikes. Can I put a ramp on the lowered tailgate to load my bike and wife's quad, or is that too much weight on the tailgate? Both are 250's (250# and 375#). Hate to have to remove the tailgate every time I wants to take the bike out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It should be able to hold up...people here have loaded cruisers (harleys and such) with ramps on the gate with ZERO problems. What kind of quad?

·
Registered
186 Posts
no problem.

i regularly have all my bikes weight, plus my 230 pound butt 100% on the tailgate, no issues

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
It will handle it and more....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks! Her quad is a LTZ-250. Is that the bed extender that Toyota sells, or an aftermarket? Preferences on loading ramps?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Great, thanks! Her quad is a LTZ-250. Is that the bed extender that Toyota sells, or an aftermarket? Preferences on loading ramps?
Yes, that is Toyota's extender, $231 after discount plus tax at my local dealer.

I made my ramp from a ramp bracket kit they sell at Home Depot. 2 pcs of 5/8" 12 ply birch, 1 foot wide x 6 foot long, sprayed with bed liner, and used both brackets on one ramp so it is nice and wide. It's heavy, but it doesn't flex when I load my 550 pound Yamaha XS850SG.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is the exact reason I bought the long bed, and more truck for the money, better work truck, higher resale, etc.

I almost cried when I saw that cargo in there without a bed liner. I wouldn't let myself put a pillow in my bed until I had mine Line-X'd

Nice bikes, and nice trucks! I roll a LT500r 'zilla for dunes, XR650r for desert and drz400 kicker for trails. Gave up on motocross a few years ago, getting too old! I'd sure a like KX450F under the tree this year though :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I almost cried when I saw that cargo in there without a bed liner. I wouldn't let myself put a pillow in my bed until I had mine Line-X'd

Nice bikes, and nice trucks! I roll a LT500r 'zilla for dunes, XR650r for desert and drz400 kicker for trails. Gave up on motocross a few years ago, getting too old! I'd sure a like KX450F under the tree this year though :)
No big deal, the first thing they do when installing Line-x is to grind away the paint on the bed to get a surface the plastic can stick to.

I have an XR650R also, fun bike.

·
TS
579 Posts
It makes me sick to the stomach to watch those guys take an angle grinder to the bed of a truck that still has temporary tags! If I can scrape up some quick cash, I will have mine done early just to prevent the slippin and slidin. If not, I will have a beautiful truck with a nasty bed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In process of purchasing a 4x4 5.7 DC Ltd. Have always trailered my dirtbikes. Can I put a ramp on the lowered tailgate to load my bike and wife's quad, or is that too much weight on the tailgate? Both are 250's (250# and 375#). Hate to have to remove the tailgate every time I wants to take the bike out.
Thanks.
I asked a similar question in an earlier post. I questioned the strength of the tailgate. Here is a picture of my bike loaded in the bed. The bike as is runs about 750 - 800 lbs. I put a piece of 3/4" plywood down to help spread the load.
BTW the 900 - 1000 lbs total that I had in the back dropped the back of my truck by 1 1/2" Mine is a 4x2 non TRD

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
So this Harley would be a tight fit in the CM or a NO GO?
NO GO ...maybe
tight fit... YES. If you don't mind the center of the back wheel on the back edge of the tailgate you should be OK. You can see that the center of the back tire is even with the end of the bed so you have the length of tailgate to work with. The CM would be 1 foot shorter which is less than the tailgate length, it should work.
PS the front tire is touching the front of the bed in the picture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've loaded all my bikes in the past(CBR900RR,GSXR750,600RR,and plenty of MX bikes)on my Tacoma tailgate with no problems.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you don't mind the center of the back wheel on the back edge of the tailgate you should be OK.
I would suggest not allowing any motorcycle tire to rest on the tailgate access cover. It is very flimsy compared to the rest of the tailgate or bed. I dented mine by walking on it in dress shoes. If you think I'm just making this up go lower your tailgate and push with the heal of your hand in a few spots on the access cover. I think you will agree.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would suggest not allowing any motorcycle tire to rest on the tailgate access cover. It is very flimsy compared to the rest of the tailgate or bed. I dented mine by walking on it in dress shoes. If you think I'm just making this up go lower your tailgate and push with the heal of your hand in a few spots on the access cover. I think you will agree.
Don't disagree with you... that is why I stated that I use 3/4" plywood to spread the load.
I have not had the problem of denting mine when I have stood/walked on the tailgate without the plywood.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Damn dude if all your going to do is bash your tundra then just get rid of it! All you do is bicker and complain about how this is falling apart here and this is not living up to your expectaions there...what do you want man? Its only the greatest truck that was ever built in the history of man kind and if you don't like it then go screw...;) Just messing with you man...I know you have had enough of that...Just had to do it.

I hauled my buddies YFZ450 today in my crewmax no problem. I rode it up on the ramp with me on it 225lbs plus the weight of the quad with not the slighest problem. I was also suprised to see how well the Bed rug holds up to the aggressive tread of the tires. I figured it would fray a bit but not at all. I am very impressed with this bed rug and tundra. :tu:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Dude, you had me. I was thinking how can this guy be thinking I am complaining about it. I was very careful not to make it sound like I was complaining and only trying to prevent someone from damaging their access cover. Now that my blood is boiling I'm going to try get some sleep. Thanks for the sleepless night dude! :D

BTW The PSI of pressure each of the FOUR quad tires put on the truck bed is going to be much less than a Harley. Trust me on this. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts