Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I'm replacing my upstream Oxygen Sensor but Im not quite sure where its located. Has anyone done this? Any tips that make this easier? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Hey everybody I'm replacing my upstream Oxygen Sensor but Im not quite sure where its located. Has anyone done this? Any tips that make this easier? Any help is much appreciated.
It is located in the exhaust system CLOSEST to the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
this is a follow-up q....when i changed my exhaust the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it to the Toyota dealer and after a long lecture on racing and how i lost the warranty on my car and blah blah blah, he told me i may need to get an O2 sensor. What is an O2 sensor? and would that have been the reason the check engine light came on? or could it have been the exhaust?

yes....i am a noob, but thanks anyways.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Just because you changed the exhaust doesnt mean you have no warranty. They can not tell you that unless they can prove that is what caused it and then have to state it in writing. I have headers on my tundra with the stock 02 sensors and my warranty is just as good now as the day i bought the truck.

Read this, very interesting..http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/questions-and-comments/59196-aftermarket-parts-warranty/

Back to your question.....= An oxygen sensor is an electronic device that measures the proportion of oxygen in the gas(exhaust) being analyzed. The sensing element is usually made with a zirconium ceramic bulb coated on both sides with a thin layer of platinum and comes in both heated and unheated forms. The most common application is to measure the performance of internal combustion engines in automobiles and other vehicles. Divers also use a similar device to measure the level of oxygen they are breathing.

Indicates the level unburned fuel in the exhaust so the computer can adjust the air- fuel level.

Yes, it can cause the check engine light to come on, but so can about 106 other things.
What code is in the ECU???? Its easier to help you if we know what code has been stored. This will point us in the correct direction. Just changeing the exhaust should not set an engine light, unless you didnt plug the sensor back in, or they are in a different position than when the vehicle was stock.
Let us know the mods done to your vehicle, this may help to decifer the engine light problem.
If you dont have the code, most autoparts stores will read the codes for free, then you can post it here, so we can try to assist you better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just because you changed the exhaust doesnt mean you have no warranty. They can not tell you that unless they can prove that is what caused it and then have to state it in writing. I have headers on my tundra with the stock 02 sensors and my warranty is just as good now as the day i bought the truck.

Read this, very interesting..http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/questions-and-comments/59196-aftermarket-parts-warranty/

Back to your question.....= An oxygen sensor is an electronic device that measures the proportion of oxygen in the gas(exhaust) being analyzed. The sensing element is usually made with a zirconium ceramic bulb coated on both sides with a thin layer of platinum and comes in both heated and unheated forms. The most common application is to measure the performance of internal combustion engines in automobiles and other vehicles. Divers also use a similar device to measure the level of oxygen they are breathing.

Indicates the level unburned fuel in the exhaust so the computer can adjust the air- fuel level.

Yes, it can cause the check engine light to come on, but so can about 106 other things.
What code is in the ECU???? Its easier to help you if we know what code has been stored. This will point us in the correct direction. Just changeing the exhaust should not set an engine light, unless you didnt plug the sensor back in, or they are in a different position than when the vehicle was stock.
Let us know the mods done to your vehicle, this may help to decifer the engine light problem.
If you dont have the code, most autoparts stores will read the codes for free, then you can post it here, so we can try to assist you better.

Thank you very much Mustang, I appreciate your help.

OK,

First, after i changed the exhaust back to stock the light went away. I forgot what the reading was but after i took it to 3 different places it all points to the O2 sensor. supposedly. The exhaust that i got was an aftermarket cat-back generic brand (i know i should have gotten a decent brand, hindsight is 20/20), but someone told me that either it messed with the catalytic converter or the cat is messed to begin with. Anyways, i put the stock back on and switched out the muffler. Although, i got no extra hp. I would like to eventually get an exhaust that's good and that works. What do you recommend?

I will take my car and get the ECU read again. If the problem was stored in its memory it should be there. otherwise no lights are on and therefore no problems.

as for the mods i have:

-Depo halo lights
-Altis 2nd gen tails
-Greddy-style muffler
-Sprint 1.75" drop (in progress)
-Dropzone shocks (in progress)
-Megan FUSB (in progress)
-Tenzo GF-7 17x7 with P215 45r17 (in progress)
-AEM SRI (future mod)

i also took my car to the dealer to take off the daytime running lights and none of them knew what to do. I have an 06 Corolla by the way.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Cat back causing a check engine light???:confused: HMMM sounds fishy to me, That would be a first in my book, But I cant say it isnt possible. I just have never seen that.
Try to get the code, its easier to try to determine the poblem when you have a direction to follow.

Peformance EXH..... TRD/ Bassani/Magnaflo/Gibson all come to mind. I dont do much performance stuff on imports, mostly muscle cars.

Maybe someone else who has modded their vehicle can assist you. I just try to keep them running and engine lights out.:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you very much Mustang, I appreciate your help.

OK,

First, after i changed the exhaust back to stock the light went away. I forgot what the reading was but after i took it to 3 different places it all points to the O2 sensor. supposedly. The exhaust that i got was an aftermarket cat-back generic brand (i know i should have gotten a decent brand, hindsight is 20/20), but someone told me that either it messed with the catalytic converter or the cat is messed to begin with. Anyways, i put the stock back on and switched out the muffler. Although, i got no extra hp. I would like to eventually get an exhaust that's good and that works. What do you recommend?

I will take my car and get the ECU read again. If the problem was stored in its memory it should be there. otherwise no lights are on and therefore no problems.

as for the mods i have:

-Depo halo lights
-Altis 2nd gen tails
-Greddy-style muffler
-Sprint 1.75" drop (in progress)
-Dropzone shocks (in progress)
-Megan FUSB (in progress)
-Tenzo GF-7 17x7 with P215 45r17 (in progress)
-AEM SRI (future mod)

i also took my car to the dealer to take off the daytime running lights and none of them knew what to do. I have an 06 Corolla by the way.
For exhaust there is Vibrant and Magnaflow bolt ons. As far as disabling the day time running lights there is a diy on 9thgencorolla As for the CEL i would try to get the code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts