Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2wd SR5 2002 tundra and want to get a locker for it. I was hoping for an electronic Locker but am having no luck finding one any sugestions? I work out of Wyoming Utah and Arizona so i need an ice friendly solution... thanks.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Only selectable locker for our trucks is the ARB air locker. There are automatic lockers like what I have the Powertrax No-Slip that lock when under torque. Detroit makes one too thats similar to the Powertrax No-Slip, they also have a limited slip. If you're looking for a street friendly locker go with the ARB its a very strong and highly tested locker and its selectable, everyone that has one or two loves them. Since your truck is two wheel drive maybe a limited slip is all you need if you drive mostly street, it will do alot betteer in the ice and snow then your open diff.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Don't get an auto-locker, I hate mine. I can't even turn a corner without the tires trying to break free.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Don't get an auto-locker, I hate mine. I can't even turn a corner without the tires trying to break free.
I know right!! Gets kinda annoying in the snow and ice too, either let it slip and kick you all around or step on the gas and let it drift which seems to be easier yet unsafe. I'm just getting all my homework done right now to purchase an ARB. Love the lockers, but rather have selectability!!:tu:

·
Registered
109 Posts
if there are two different options one is an arb and the other is the tacoma E locker. the only catch is that you will have some major mods to do one you will need to find a way to turn it on and of for that there are two solutions one is wiring and electric switch to actuate the piston that activates the locker. the other option is with a minor adaption to the locking mechanism you can use the a cable to actuate the locker the best and most simple option. the other thing you have to do is redo the bolts witch requires removing some of the old ones and drilling and taping for some new ones its not all that bad really. this was my original plan b/c it is cheaper than an ARB and is just as strong as the original 3rd member. the other option is and ARB it will the most expensive option unless you get lucky like i did i got one for 500 which was a steel and is the only reason i went this way. i am gathering the last of my parts as we speak. there are a lot of thing that go into the cost of the final beside the cost of the ARB locker (500) but it is a good choice and you can go wrong with and ARB will it will last for a long time if you keep up with the maintenance.

cost so far for ARB system
locker 500
gears F/R (600)
gear install kits front (289)
gear install kit rear (310)
Seals front/rear (150/65)
labor front/rear(250/350)
i will drop the rear and front the rear is very easy no special tool required to do and sense you not changing gears you wont have that cost but you will and should get new bering and ring gear bolt. if you just drop it off expect to pay more for labor.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
The ARB is a great unit. However, too pricey for my blood. I had an auto locker (lock right locker). It was an affordable traction system that requires a change in your driving habits. Mainly around corners and slick paved (wet and icy) roads. It's good for tires no larger than 35". I grenaded mine when I ran 39" tires. When that happened, I installed a Detroit Locker. It's [email protected]$$. Same as the auto lockers but, a lot stronger and more durable than a lunch box auto locker. Driving habits still need to change around turns and slick paved roads. Otherwise, I would have gone with the Detroit truetrac. It's a gear driven limited slip. Should be good for what you are looking for. Cost is about $400 just for the unit. Detroit locker is about $500.

Keep in mind, the ARB is air actuated and needs a an air system (compressor and air lines) to be activated.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
the other thing you have to do is redo the bolts witch requires removing some of the old ones and drilling and taping for some new ones its not all that bad really. this was my original plan b/c it is cheaper than an ARB and is just as strong as the original 3rd member.
It's my understanding this is not an easy job. Quote from Erik's Toyota Differential info

"These locking diffs can be retrofitted into 8" diff axles if the axle housing is modified (see this article for more info). It cannot be easily retrofitted into a T100/Tundra or open-diff Tacoma style axle housing because the mounting bolt pattern is smaller. It "could" be done by an axle builder by doing major work to the mounting flange, but that is not really a practical option."

·
Registered
109 Posts
ya sorry made it sound easer than it really is but it was still cheaper than an ARB and my mechanic is good really good with toy's he's probably forgotten more about yotas then i have ever known. it is possible though and fairly feasible. good luck with your project

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have had two ARBs in two different Toyotas over the past ten years and for me they have worked really well. One bit of advice I got was to find a differential shop with a mechanic that has installed these a few times. The cost is a bit much, but after the first time you use it I think you will find it pays for itself.

Scott

·
Registered
312 Posts
Never personally having had a need for one, why would you want a locker unless you were going to be doing some off-roading or possibly pulling something heavy over slick terrain. I had my DC in the snow in Mass last year and I was really impressed with the traction of the limited slip--especially considering I'm a Southern boy that has only driven in the snow a handful of times. Wouldn't the LSD really be all you would need? I've heard guys chirping tires when turning corners due to their lockers and I just wondered why you would want that, unless like I said, you do a lot of offroading...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts