Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Any one using a locking gas cap that they like? I got a Stant, and it is so flimsy and cheap that it is ahassle to unlock.
Also, are there any cable lock kits that you can add to unlock from inside the truck? I did a few Google searches, but Nada!?
Thanks for any replies you can offer........ Joe

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
what year tundra do you have? the early tundras came with locking gas doors

·
Registered
188 Posts
I know this post is several months old but I just "re-entered" back in the Tundra world a week ago. As mentioned earlier model Tundra had a locking door and that's exactly what I plan to install on my '04 gas door using a cabinet lock.

Instruction: Drill a hole, insert the locking mechanism and you're done. Rather easy even a "caveman" can do it :p.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmm...the only reason to install a lock is to prevent someone from siphoning your gas out. If memory serves me correctly our Tundras have a rollover valve that prevents a hose from getting in the tank.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm...the only reason to install a lock is to prevent someone from siphoning your gas out. If memory serves me correctly our Tundras have a rollover valve that prevents a hose from getting in the tank.
We may know that but the thieve may not so with a lock, they'll look elsewhere ;) .

·
Registered
358 Posts
Or they will rip your gas door apart, not get any gas but still cost you money in gas door repair after prying it apart....just food for thought.

I got an idea. Im going to have one of those signs made up "driver carries no more than $5.00 worth of gas at any time" and stick it to my gas door....Im a millionaire waiting to happen....

·
Registered
901 Posts
I agree with Sportsmanphil, they'll rip the door off, and the doors are not an easy replacement. You want to be careful on using aftermarket gas caps on these trucks, you could end up with the famous P0442 code. Stick with OEM for gas caps.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
well, with my 03 i've stopped a handful of times on the road in Baja when a guy on the side of the road was waving a jug and a hose. karma points for me, free gas for them. one guy said they (3 guys) had been there for 2 days. 2 gallons later and they were on their way!

i'm talking like 1/2" diameter tubing, not garden hose.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with Sportsmanphil, they'll rip the door off, and the doors are not an easy replacement...
Just to make it interesting, let's assume a thief is out looking to steal gas so he'll be carrying minimum tools/equipment i.e. hose and plastic fuel container, because he wants to be "in and out" rather quickly and be as quiet as possible.

So why would he target a vehicle with a locked door or even a locked gas cap? If so, then he'll need to carry a pry bar and make some kind of noise when he's "ripping" the door off....Ooops it may also have a locked gas cap so more tools to carry:eek: . Wouldn't it be much easier for him or her (equal opportunity) to go to the next vehicle w/o the lock(s) and do his/her thing.
Like anything, locks keeps the honest people honest and if a thief wants "something of yours" bad enough, he/she will get it. The lock will only delay the thief

But what do I know, I never stole gas before...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn :rolleyes: :D .

Please don't anyone take offense, I'm just keeping this thread going ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gas thieves are usually locals teens who spent the gas money on cig's and beer. They tend to target large vehicles that have been sitting unused for some time, i.e., RV's, Campers, even boats. These are usually parked in out of the way places (alley, carport, back of the property, etc.), that are poorly lit.

A prime target is a vehicle or RV that is covered with one of those car blankets or blue tarped for the season.

BTW, a locking gas cap or locking gas door can be quietly and easily defeated with small flat tip screw driver, and a paper clip.

I too stayed at a Holiday Inn!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm more concerned with some kid trying to dump water into my tank, so a locking gas cap or door is ideal deterant. But then again I'm just a paranoid Marine :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oh im not offended..

If it is locked more than likely the thief will move on to an easier target. But if I am right and there is a roll over valve they wont ever get it in to the fuel anyway so there isnt enough risk there for me to drill a hole through my fuel fuel door.

Im still going to make my sign and become a quadruple billionaire

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good points here. I like fashioning a lock on the door.
My '03 had this but they didn't steal the gas
they stole the truck instead. Ha.
Didn't know there was a blocking door down the throat of the tank.
My cheap Advanced Auto locking gas cap
is a pain to lock and get unlocked.
Sometimes it throws the code because it doesn't seal tightly.
I think I'm going back to my OEM cap.
Good info.

cat

·
2,875 Posts
The stant locking caps are junk and I removed mine after a very short and frustrating period. Why even bother when we have plastic tanks and a screwdriver will puncture a hole in it for the gas to drain to a container below it.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I thought it was always a good idea to have the locking gas door. Helps to prevent the ex-girlfriends from dumping sugar in your gastank and if you live in Detroit where there may still be hatred toward foreign vehicles. Friend of mine from Joliet, IL told me people primarily drove domestic vehicles due to the hate, but that was during the 90s.

Not sure about today....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a cheaappply made but $30.00 Stant cap, but now its broken, and cant remember the part # ? There seem to be several different ones for the 06" SR5 2 wd. Tundra Access Cab. No factory locking cap available. I had my gas siphoned, and the thieif tossed my OEM capi That was more expensive that the 3 gal. of gas that was in the tank when he siphoned it out! Hope he swallowed some of it :-} Joe

·
2,875 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts