Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go to put the Sequia into 4wd at first the 4 hi blinks green and the center differential blinks orange and then engages..is that normal?

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
109 Posts
It takes a few seconds for the transfer case to engage. That is what the blinking signifies. A few seconds is normal. When 4WD is locked in, the the blinking should stop and the 4HI light should be constantly on.

Your Owners Manual will have more information on it's operation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It takes a few seconds for the transfer case to engage. That is what the blinking signifies. A few seconds is normal. When 4WD is locked in, the the blinking should stop and the 4HI light should be constantly on.

Your Owners Manual will have more information on it's operation.
Thank you for the reply...does both the 4hi and the differential blink?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The diff light should turn off when 4HI is engaged and you will hear an audible click underneath the truck. The only time the dif light would be constantly on would be when the center diff would lock.

Is this a new vehicle for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diff light should turn off when 4HI is engaged and you will hear an audible click underneath the truck. The only time the dif light would be constantly on would be when the center diff would lock.

Is this a new vehicle for you?
Yeah it's an 05 but EXCELLENT shape. I have had other 4x4s....just thougt it was odd that 4hi and diff would blink. But they do go off after 5 seconds. I expected 4hi to blink but not diff. Just seeing if normal

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes normal but make certain you engage it periodically or it can get slow to engage. I like to engage briefly if has been raining and drive on the wet pavement at least until temperature is up to normal then disengage. I once went a long time without engaging as drive for months on pavement without needing 4WD and it became difficult to engage for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was always told to engage 4WD at least 15 minutes / month. As stated before, I turn it on when driving in the rain, as it's not good to run 4WD on dry pavement. Never had any problems with it in 280k miles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm going to guess Jaykansascity is in or around Kansas City. If you do feel like exercising your 4x4 system, there is a small gravel road area in Wyandotte Lake Park that I use regularly to stir things around. There are also several gravel roads just south of the city that you can use as well.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Why do people say you cant use 4wd on pavement or dry roads? Yes, its true, you shouldnt be turning excessively or sharply while its engaged with some vehicles that have true 4wd systems, but can anyone say for sure with factual reasons the harm in driving straight with 4wd engaged? And no, I dont mean on a major highway doing max speed.
And do these rules even apply to a Sequoia? I dont profess to know what type of drive system the Sequoia exactly has but there's lots of "AWD" vehicles out there that dont have problems driving in a 4wd or AWD mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts