Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make my 2002 Tundra AC into an AWD, like the first gen Sequoias that have the locking Torsen CENTER differntial. I know this has been done from a Sequoia into a Gen 2 Tundra. Are there any experts out there who can let me know if this is remotely possible for my Gen 1 Tundra? Am I wasting my time in trying to pull this off?

I'm posting links to the actual (based on vin) center differential from the potential the donor Sequoia and my Tundra.

Even if I get the ecu and wiring harness from the Sequoia I figure there will be some inticacies to getting the wiring set up correctly.

:,

:,

Best regards,

Monel

· Registered
2 Posts
I want to make my 2002 Tundra AC into an AWD, like the first gen Sequoias that have the locking Torsen CENTER differntial. I know this has been done from a Sequoia into a Gen 2 Tundra. Are there any geometry dash lite experts out there who can let me know if this is remotely possible for my Gen 1 Tundra? Am I wasting my time in trying to pull this off?

I'm posting links to the actual (based on vin) center differential from the potential the donor Sequoia and my Tundra.

Even if I get the ecu and wiring harness from the Sequoia I figure there will be some inticacies to getting the wiring set up correctly.
It is generally not possible to convert a 2002 Tundra from a two-wheel drive (2WD) vehicle to an all-wheel drive (AWD) vehicle by installing a center differential from a first-generation Sequoia. This is because the Tundra and the Sequoia have different drivetrain layouts and suspension systems, and the center differential is only one part of the overall AWD system.
In order to convert a 2WD Tundra to an AWD vehicle, you would need to install a complete AWD drivetrain, including the center differential, front and rear differentials, driveshafts, and other related components. This would be a significant undertaking that would likely require extensive modification of the vehicle's frame and suspension.
Additionally, even if you were able to successfully install an AWD drivetrain in your Tundra, there may be other issues to consider, such as compatibility with the vehicle's electronic control system and the potential for additional wear and tear on the drivetrain components.

· Registered
2001 Tundra 4WD Basketcase
192 Posts
The front suspension (except the hub in the spindle) and frame are the same between 2wd, 4wd, and awd.

The transmissions are different but you can swap a 2wd trans and tailshaft assembly for a 4wd assembly.

Within the same year group/trans type, any 4wd a340 transmission can take any other a340 transfer case. I am using a 4runner j shift case in my tundra now. Any 4wd 5 speed a750 transmission can take any a750 transfer case. There may be seal differences so please check before running anything. You can in theory mix transmissions and cases but it takes fab work.

The transmission crossmembers are different. But they swap with the 4 bolts closest to the frame and interchange. Use a tundra one to be sure, you will also need the 4wd transmission mount to go with it.

You will at a minimum need the front diff, it shouldn't really matter which one you use, first gen taco, first gen tundra, first gen sequoia, and 3rd gen 4 runner are all the same size/mount.

Since you are planning to run in AWD mode you could probably just lock the add system out or lock it in locked mode and call it good. I locked mine in lock since I am running manual hubs up front.

Make sure the gear ratio matches, probably also want to run an open front diff since the turning radius and steering effort are way higher with a locker up front on my truck.

In the rear, you will need a 4wd driveshaft as they are different.

Depending on how you go about actuating thr transfer case, the factory ecu never knows or cares there has been a change. If you have abs, the speed sensors are at the wheels, of you do not, you will need to extend the speedo sensor wires and make sure you have the sensor in the new transfer case. I used my 2wd sensor in the 4runner case and just added like 12" of wire.

Finally, you will need to either swap the wheel hubs in your front spindles for 4wd add hubs or find complete spindles from a 4wd add tundra or sequoia of your generation. These are different depending on year because the lower ball joints are different. 00-02 use the smaller ones and interchange with the taco and 4runner, 03-07 use the bigger lower ball joints.

I swapped my truck from 2wd to 4wd with manual hubs and manual transfer case a few years back with minimal issues other than the above.

Sean

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input.

To be clear, my 2002 Tundra is already 4wd with a locking transfer case and, as far as i know, open differentials front and rear. Pretty much a standard 2002 Tundra 4wd. All i want to do is swap in the locking Torsen center differential/transfer case from an AWD Sequoia.

Within the same year group/trans type, any 4wd a340 transmission can take any other a340 transfer case. I am using a 4runner j shift case in my tundra now. Any 4wd 5 speed a750 transmission can take any a750 transfer case. There may be seal differences so please check before running anything. You can in theory mix transmissions and cases but it takes fab work.
So, SmokeySevin, if the donor Sequoia is a 2005 with an A750F transmission, and the recipeint 2005 Tundra also has the A750F transmission, it should be relatively straighforward to pull the transfer case/differential out of the Sequoia and put it into the Tundra?

Thanks again for your reply, it is the first meaningful one I've got after several attempts and has given me hope!

Best regards,

Monel

· Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the input.

To be clear, my 2002 Tundra is already 4wd with a locking transfer case and, as far as i know, open differentials front and rear. Pretty much a standard 2002 Tundra 4wd. All i want to do is swap in the locking Torsen center differential/transfer case from an AWD Sequoia.

So, SmokeySevin, if the donor Sequoia is a 2005 with an A750F transmission, and the recipeint 2005 Tundra also has the A750F transmission, it should be relatively straighforward to pull the transfer case/differential out of the Sequoia and put it into the Tundra?

Thanks again for your reply, it is the first meaningful one I've got after several attempts and has given me hope!

Best regards,

Monel
Happy to help, if your truck is already 4wd, you can leave the tundra front diff in place. If your donor is the same year/model (00-04 vs 05-07) you might even be able to grab the 4wd control box out of the passengers side floor kick panel and the additional wiring for the center diff lock out of the sequoia and just plug and play.

The tundra diff and sequoia diffs should be the same but I am not sure about the ADD parts on the awd vs 4wd, you will want to check that.

If you have a double cab, tundra, you may even be able to use the center dash surround with the 4wd buttons on it from the sequoia.

If you try to install the transfer case from an 05-06 into an 00-04, you will need the transmission, trans controller, maybe ecu? It will get to be a big job really quickly. Basically, if you have an a340 trans and transfer case, stick with options for/from those. Same with the a750.

Sean

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate this. I was checking on ToyoDiy and both the 2002 Tundra and 2002 Sequoia have an A340 tranny so I may just give it a go. Time to start looking for a donor 2002 Sequoia and I'll try to get the 4WD ECU out of the Sequoia too.

What are ADD parts?

Do you know i the gear ratios in the transfer case/center differential on the 2002 Tundra and Sequoia would likely be the same?

If the transfer cases are indeed the same I'm hoping I won't need to mess with the propellor shafts at all.

Monel

· Registered
192 Posts
I really appreciate this. I was checking on ToyoDiy and both the 2002 Tundra and 2002 Sequoia have an A340 tranny so I may just give it a go. Time to start looking for a donor 2002 Sequoia and I'll try to get the 4WD ECU out of the Sequoia too.

What are ADD parts?

Do you know i the gear ratios in the transfer case/center differential on the 2002 Tundra and Sequoia would likely be the same?

If the transfer cases are indeed the same I'm hoping I won't need to mess with the propellor shafts at all.

Monel
Automatic differential disconnect.

I believe the chain drive transfer cases used in the tundra are the same ratio within the series but I can't back that up with a source.

Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts