1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
524 Posts
Really cant be done like they are talking about since we dont have a distributer cap like they do. Old vehicles with distrbuter caps we often did this too, slightly increase the timing and slightly gap the plugs higher and you got a slight more seat of the pants power.

Modern distributerless systems this cannot be done too b/c its computer controlled. What can be done is a reprogrammer such as the jet, unichip, etc kinda thing. This messes with the timing slightly but nowhere near as much as you could ever do with a plain old cap and rotor.

Ex: Friend of mine had an 88 Camaro with the 305 and a stick, we increased the timing about 3-5 degrees (I forget exactly) after swapping to the wires, plugs, etc to aftermarket race style MSD stuff and he got a noticeable gain but a more loopy idle and mpg went down.

If you want MPG, downsize the tires, disconnect the front driveshaft if 4wd and drive like grandma-i bet you get 18mpg.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have 2wd and i drive like an old woman already. tires are stock, i get about 18-20mpg average. just looking for more mods to get into the lower 20's haha. thanks for the detailed response.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is an old shade tree mechanic trick. I owned a few Subarus and would advance the timing in them 3-4 degrees. They seemed to run better, but I don't think they would have passed an emissions test. I would also play with the fuel mixture.

Can't do any of this with ECU, fuel injected, electronic ignition vehicles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yea, not much more you can do to overcome the lack of aerodynamic efficiency the truck has to get more mpg.

Course less weight means its easier to remove? Do ya need the bed lol?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha i was planning on taking all the seats out except the drivers' and put some plastic lawn chairs in! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts