1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
524 Posts
Really cant be done like they are talking about since we dont have a distributer cap like they do. Old vehicles with distrbuter caps we often did this too, slightly increase the timing and slightly gap the plugs higher and you got a slight more seat of the pants power.

Modern distributerless systems this cannot be done too b/c its computer controlled. What can be done is a reprogrammer such as the jet, unichip, etc kinda thing. This messes with the timing slightly but nowhere near as much as you could ever do with a plain old cap and rotor.

Ex: Friend of mine had an 88 Camaro with the 305 and a stick, we increased the timing about 3-5 degrees (I forget exactly) after swapping to the wires, plugs, etc to aftermarket race style MSD stuff and he got a noticeable gain but a more loopy idle and mpg went down.

If you want MPG, downsize the tires, disconnect the front driveshaft if 4wd and drive like grandma-i bet you get 18mpg.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have 2wd and i drive like an old woman already. tires are stock, i get about 18-20mpg average. just looking for more mods to get into the lower 20's haha. thanks for the detailed response.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is an old shade tree mechanic trick. I owned a few Subarus and would advance the timing in them 3-4 degrees. They seemed to run better, but I don't think they would have passed an emissions test. I would also play with the fuel mixture.

Can't do any of this with ECU, fuel injected, electronic ignition vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.