Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I will be out of the country for 3 years. What is the best way for me to storage my truck? Should I put it on jack stands and remove the battery? Thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would either disconnect the battery, or hook up a battery tender to it.
Yes, put it on jack stands, in 3 years a tire could go flat or low on air and you'll need to buy new tires. Just make sure to check the pressure and inflate them before putting it back on the ground.

Will the truck be parked inside?
If not, you'd want a good cover, but if no one checks on it, that could come off at some point. So if you do, put it on securely.

Add fuel stabilizer to the tank, or drain it of gas.

When you get back, do an oil change before starting it up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unless you have a bunch of mods and/or are so completely attached to it that you couldn't fathom the idea of not having it, then I'd think about just selling it. Just my $.02, but three years is a lot of time and your needs, idea of what is cool, or whatever, may change. We're definitely not dealing with a collector here. At any rate, good luck in whatever you are leaving the country for - and if it is military related, then a strong "thank you" is in order.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Need to ask why it will be stored for 3 years. Your location says New Haven.
I presume CT? That truck needs to be stored indoors as a start. Will it be started or checked on when you are gone? Will it sit for 3 yrs? If so, will dictate on what you need to do to protect the ride if you want it ready when you return.

I know the storage routine, as I am over the border. My ride is stored indoors in MA, but, it does get exercise at least 1 or 2x times per year.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Would it be better to put the frame on Jack stands vs. the suspension? I would probably put the frame on the stands. Of course pull the battery, the one question would be the seals in the AC which it recommended I believe once a week use to keep them lubricated if my memory serves me correct from reading the manual once. Fuel treatment for sure but question the 3 years. If you kept the battery on a tender I wouldn't do it in the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Wow that is long time in storage.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
to be honest, the best way to store it is to have someone you trust drive it weekly.

Yep. I'd have someone "babysit" it. Maybe drive it to work one day a week, or at least drive it around and get it up to operating temp. weekly.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Unless you have a bunch of mods and/or are so completely attached to it that you couldn't fathom the idea of not having it, then I'd think about just selling it. Just my $.02, but three years is a lot of time and your needs, idea of what is cool, or whatever, may change. We're definitely not dealing with a collector here. At any rate, good luck in whatever you are leaving the country for - and if it is military related, then a strong "thank you" is in order.
totally agree with ooardnut...3 yrs a long time. i would sell it or better yet have it ship there...the goverment will do it for free to your station area. unless your going europe, gas is like $3-4euros a gallon or liter i forget, but thats like 4 yrs ago. im sure gas price went up since then. if your going to, kaiserslautern or k-town then your a lucky guy, its really fun. october fest is comin sooooon. ohh the memories hahah...sorry i drifted off, yah man ill sell it. put that money in the bank or a cd and let it earn interest and with that money and your 3 yrs of work...you can buy yourself a top of the line tundra with all the bells and whistles. hell if we're lucky tundra might come with a diesel variant by then. unless your going into a combat zone for 3 yrs, which i doubt then disregard my rambling. good luck and have fun abroad!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts