Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok being a Engineer I am going to give you the background and some....

Purchased some 18" Eagle Alloy 050 wheels and had a local shop swap my factory tires to them for now, and sold my factory wheels the next day. The following week my Rough Country 3/1 Leveling kit arrived and I got it installed, and nice kit, but noticed that the wheel studs were too short when installing the kit. Hate that the local shop didn't even say anything about the stud length, sure am glad nothing happened the weekend i drive the truck around town. After finding out I had about 5/6 threads on the front and 6/7 on the rear, defiantly not enough threads even though the wheels are still hub centric.

I purchased the wheels from an online dealer which ensured they would fit and the American Eagle Website ensures that they fit. Tried contacting Eagle Alloy but no luck, no response, which is really crappy customer service. Wont buy anything and don't recommend buying anything from them. Not sure what they would even do to fix the problem.

Called a Local after market wheel and tire dealer just for some advise and discuss possible solutions. Well got a smart ass on the phone (owner?) and blah blah blah...in the end said that's why we don't deal with that brand. Well from what I found online a lot of people have the same problem with after market wheels. Solutions I discovered were E/T (extended thread) lug nuts, good idea but OD of the stud hole in the wheel will not accommodate it plus studs are still short and don't extend beyond the lug nut. These are 60 degree conical lug type wheels. Wheel spacers were an option but 1" more offset and $300 bucks more. Found ARP offers a longer stud for the older 12mm Tundra's but not the 14-1.5mm newer Tundra's

Ok here is the main point of the post. After a lot of research and 2 weeks of not driving my Tundra and driving my Jeep that leaks water when it rains I found and have installed longer studs.

OEM stud M14-1.5 Knurl 16.50 Length 45.1 Shoulder 15.4
Actual Measurement after pressing one out Knurl 16.0-16.2
Hub bore 15.9-16.0

Downloaded the Dorman online catalog and explored my options. Unless some other manufacture other than Dorman makes other size studs there is no option for a metric stud that is longer. They offer 2 studs with a larger knurl but one is 103.96mm length and other is 37.5mm

Decided that I would look into standard studs (1/2, 9/16) Well after ordering several different 9/16" studs close the measured and OEM knurls I found one that works. PN 610-471 but since the wheel lug bore was small needed stepped lug nuts with 13/16 head.
610-471 9/16-18 Knurl 0.645 measured 0.640-0.644 length 2.50" shoulder 15/32 (fits dodges 2500+ yr 2003+)
Auto parts store don't keep them they are a factory item but can get them. I ordered 20 studs and lugs from Summit Racing ($90)

Pressed old ones out and new ones in. For the front I didn't have to remove the hub although ordered a 39mm socket for the nut, just loosened the four hub mounting bolts and got the studs in. For the rear, now I know why people say they are longer. They are the same length but axle flange is thinner than front. Now I didn't have any issues with my wheel center caps but you could make a thin shim or grind down some of the stud to make it shorter if needed.

All in all I am super excited to drive my Truck again.....The End

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the information! :) I have wanted to order some Enkei ST6 wheels, but have read they have the same problem with studs being too short. Now I can use your solution to work around the problem. :tu:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do you have the brand and part number for the lug nuts you used? I, too, need a small diameter lug nut.
It's in the thread title, which you must have stopped reading at the word 'Studs'.
I copied it below, and made the brand and part number bold and red for you so you can see it better.

Longer Wheel Studs Dorman 610-471 (9/16-18)

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please read carefully before making the smart-ass reply.......was looking for lug nut info (13/16 head, per the body of your text), not the stud info.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Please read carefully before making the smart-ass reply.......was looking for lug nut info (13/16 head, per the body of your text), not the stud info.
You did indeed ask about lug nuts, and I have to admit I must have been thinking wheel stud.
The error is mine.
My apologies to you, sir.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone ever try a Dorman 610-331? It's a metric 14x1.50 and 8.5 mm longer than stock but the knurl in only 16.0 mm, given the above actual measurments this may not be an issue.

•M14-1.50 Serrated Wheel Stud - 16.00mm Knurl, 53.5mm Length
•Thread Size: M14X1.50
•Knurl Diameter (mm): 16mm
•Length (mm): 53.50mm
•Shoulder Length (In): 0.531 Inch
•Shoulder Length (mm): 13.50mm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok being a Engineer I am going to give you the background and some....

Thank you for all the research on this. I purchased this tundra 2015 Crewmax with very low miles and wheels and leveling kit already done by the previous owner i decided to follow this lead and have the Dorman lugs you found. A perfect fit. Here is the result.
When I performed the front brake job and discovered I had very little thread inclusion on these lugs i started my search which led me to this forum.
I don’t think there is solution except for replacing the lugs In my circumstances. Extended lug nuts were not going to work here. See the pics. ( first pic is after )

22CC2A80-EE1A-4BCF-A206-A0E271377970.jpeg

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts