Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Took my 06 DC SR5 in this morning for the recall ball joints rplacement. Done in 2 hours including alingnment and wash, out by 10:00am. Drove about 50 miles and started having steering problems whist backing up. Returned to the dealer at 3;30pm and here it is in the service drive!!

Any one else seen or heard of this sort of problem.The entire wheel assembly broke ff. You should have seen the toyota guys swarming the truck, taking pics. We will see what happens now. Glad I haven't lifted it yet:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Let me be the first to say OMFG.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
:mad: Took my 06 DC SR5 in this morning for the recall ball joints rplacement. Done in 2 hours including alingnment and wash, out by 10:00am. Drove about 50 miles and started having steering problems whist backing up. Returned to the dealer at 3;30pm and here it is in the service drive!!

Any one else seen or heard of this sort of problem.The entire wheel assembly broke ff. You should have seen the toyota guys swarming the truck, taking pics. We will see what happens now. Glad I haven't lifted it yet:rolleyes:
Wow. The dealership f**ked up by letting an unqualified tech work on your truck. The dealership listed in your profile is Fred Haas Toyota. Is that who did it?

Did it collapse at the dealership? Any damage to the fender?

I'm certain the dealership is going to go out of their way to fix this. You're driving a free loaner right now, right?

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this. Keep us posted on what happens.

Paul

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks like someone left something loose. Hope it didn't do any body damage.

·
LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!
1,267 Posts

Damn, that sucks some serious eggs. I'd insist they fix it, and fix it right, AND pay for a loaner TRUCK while your's is in the shop. I had a bad experience with a Toyota dealership (Desert Toyota) and I won't be going there, or trading there, anytime soon. As for your loaner vehicle you'll likely need, INSIST they pay for a full size truck like a Silverado or whatever because you need your Tundra for "work purposes."

Because of the level of incompetence displayed by the shoddy repair work I'm immediately speak to the general manager of the dealership. Forget the service manager, go to the general manager of the dealership AND file a complaint with Toyota Corporate irregardless of the outcome with the dealership. Screw-ups such as that need to be documented.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When that gets fixed, make sure you have them check out the frame. It can not be good that one wheel is missing and the weight is now distubuted awkwardly through out the frame. Also check to see if you can get an extened warranty on your truck, 4 years from now you could be getting vibrations, ratteling, other stuff that was caused by this.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just had mine done on friday w/ no apointment. They did'nt say anything about the lift at all. They really can't, recall has nothing to do with it.

Anyways everything turned out just fine, in & out in 4 hr.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No excuses, no mercy- your dealer put you in grave danger by botching the job. Don't settle until you have someone's head on a platter, so to speak.

Strong talk? Yep- crap like this obviously hits a nerve with me. I wrenched vehicles for years, still do as a hobby... no vehicle left my possession unless it was right. I now work for a company making medical products - a mistake equivalent to an improperly installed ball joint on these products will result in someone's death- not to mention liability and FDA issues. We have multiple systems in place to prevent mistakes. They work.
Your dealer and car manufacturer should too.
(rant over).

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm thinking retainer nut was left loose, with no retainer pin. Geez, they would be begging for mercy if that were my truck.:eek:
Glad you weren't in a serious accident.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Needlessto say, I am not the happiest guy in Texas right now. No problem getting a free rental from Fred Haas Toyota Country, they put me in a 07 4 Runner, certainly not a Tundra.

Wanted to clarify that it appears the replacement part somehow broke/failed allowing the entire wheel assembly to break off. There is some damage to the fender flare and where the bumper cover comes in contact with the flare.

I am going to watch them pretty close, will keep you all up to speed.

JPP:tu:

·
Registered
256 Posts
jp,

That sucks. Glad you weren't hurt.

Was it an incorrect assembly or did the new ball joint fail? I've been considering selling my 04 because of this ball joint business. I like my truck but I'm not willing to risk my family.

If this new part failed then it may be time to drop Toyota like a bad habit. The other three have problems and the new Chevy is ugly as hell but I don't see their wheels falling off.

Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Glad that nobody was hurt. I'd be sending that picture to tmc along with everything that transpired. They should be putting you into an 07 after that crap.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Crap like this happens because the Service Manager is not doing his job!! I am not surprised and glad you were not hurt or even worse you hit someone!! I had mine done and i looked really hard at repair before i drove off. I would suspect they probably used air ratchets on all bolts that require specific torque values and i found my lug nut torqued to PAST 150 Ft lb when spec are 83 Ft Lbs!! I need to torque check the BJ bolts to see if they used same air ratchet to install mine!! thanks for the info and my torque wrench will be out as soon as i can find out specific torque values for the bolts!! This is SAD!! Best of luck in repair!!:tu:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got my recal ball joints done today in North Hollywood Toyota. Wheels are still intact at the moment, *knocking on wood*. I would hope they did the job correctly, considering the amount of time that I left my truck there for (8 am to 4:15pm). Good luck to you and anyone else who does their recall! :tu:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, I've heard so much about Jap quality I bought a Tundra.

After 3000 miles I have:
1. Major recall
2. Loose muffler pipe (not attached to the mounting collar)
3. "Whistling" (loose drive belt)

Can I have my problem free 96' Chevy back?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
This is scary. I just saw a Tundra Friday on my way home from work, SAME EXACT thing. He was pulling out of a store onto a main road and his front left wheel just collapsed. I was going to do a u-turn and talk to him, I'm wishing I had now. Owning a 2001 that is NOT covered by this recall, this really concerns me. /Mike

1 - 20 of 68 Posts