Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
They are pretty nice. I've always thought about getting one shipped over. I just wish they had a full size over there. The hilux is just a Tacoma sized truck.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Anyone care to convert these numbers? Because this is what that 3.0 litre diesel makes.

Maximum Power: 126kW @ 3600rpm

Maximum Torque: 343Nm @ 1400rpm

·
Registered
459 Posts
206.181818 HP
253.136531 Lbs. Foot Torque

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
damn, those are pretty good #'s! that right hand drive would be strange getting used to! i do wish they'd bring a toyota diesel here. i know, i know i'm getting cussed at right now but they have gobs of torque and if geared right, the mpg is amazing.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That motor might not meet the US emission standards. Maybe that's why they aren't bringing it over. Just a guess.

I remember hearing about a car that is made somewhere in Europe that is getting amazing mileage with a small diesel engine. But the US will never see this amazing diesel because it doesn't pass our emission tests. Ridiculous.

Oh and did you know it's hard to insure a Smart Car over here in the US because, "it doesn't use enough gas". Honestly. Gas has a road tax on it and because it uses so little gas the person is literally not paying enough taxes to drive it on American roads. A family friend had one shipped over and can't drive it. (He's insanely rich!)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I said it once before and I'll say it again. Taxes will be the downfall of this country. It's practically impossible to even breathe without paying rediculous amounts of money in taxes.

What's the story with this war we're fighting in other countries? Our tax dollars pay for their ammo and supplies. Shouldn't we be worrying about our own country?

I read awhile ago too that soldiers fighting overseas still get taxed on their income! America is no longer the land of the free. You have to pay to keep your freedom. If you don't, you go to jail.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Dang!!!!! I'd LOVE to have some of these features on my DC! :eek:
(These are copied from the Australian Toyota site listed above)

DRIVETRAIN
Driven Wheels 4WD
Transmission description Five speed manual :tu:
Limited Slip Differential STD
4WD System Part-time 4WD :tu:
Dual Range Trans Dual range

Engine type Diesel :tu:
Engine capacity (cc) 2982
Engine description 4cyl/DOHC/4v
Forced induction system Turbo :tu:
Maximum Power 126kW @ 3600rpm
Maximum Torque 343Nm @ 1400rpm
Configuration In-line
Valvetrain DOHC
Fuel system Direct injection :tu:
- Fuel type Diesel
Intercooler Air to air :tu:

·
Registered
459 Posts
206.181818 HP
253.136531 Lbs. Foot Torque
These are wrong. Sorry about that. It was late on monday, my brain had gone to bed already. I looked at it this morning and said wow a 200+ HP 4 banger diesel. Then I realized the math was wrong.

Correct HP: 170 HP
Correct Torque: 259 Lbs. Foot Torque

Now I remind you that this is a 4 banger, the 2UZ-FE, 4.7 V8, puts out 271 HP and 313 Lbs. ft. torque. The diesel, 1KD-FTV, has 100 less HP and 50 less torque...for half the engine. Plus the cc of the V8 is 4663cc, the 1KD-FTV is 2982. That is almost half of the V8. So, you would have almost the same power as the V8 but it would burn(compress) half the fuel. However, when is comes down to it, the transmissions gear ratios do the work. My freinds sister had this little VW that had a 90HP diesel that could beat just about anything off the line. It is all in the tranny. The HiLux looks like it has the same 4 speed automatic tranny as the tundra. To say the least...this would be an AWESOME truck. Pretty much same pull, acceleration, and top end as the 2UZ-FE but half the fuel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I said it once before and I'll say it again. Taxes will be the downfall of this country. It's practically impossible to even breathe without paying rediculous amounts of money in taxes.

What's the story with this war we're fighting in other countries? Our tax dollars pay for their ammo and supplies. Shouldn't we be worrying about our own country?

I read awhile ago too that soldiers fighting overseas still get taxed on their income! America is no longer the land of the free. You have to pay to keep your freedom. If you don't, you go to jail.
USA.....Love it or Leave it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If I had more money, I'd leave for sure. Hit up another country and live like a king.
Apperently you have not experienced life (not vaction) in to many other countries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to change subject, but, wouldn't it be great if Toyota actually added a diesel to their current line of 07 Tundra's. It seems like most people complain that Tundra's aren't meant to tow or simply can't do it efficiently, but with a diesel in the line-up........ maybe?:rolleyes:.

FWIW, my grandfather was in WWII, and my step father saw action in Vietnam. What I have come to learn is that regardless of what I believe, or agree with in politics, I get to stay at home and watch the news while service men and women are dying most every day. Like them I tried to join the military, but due to a bum shoulder from baseball, they would not let me join. Then again, that was before 9/11.

Oh, and by they way, I hear it's fairly cheap to live in Mexico.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
This truck is also sold in Europe, so the steering wheel would be on the correct side.

I wonder if this is actually a disguised Tacoma, it looks like it might be bigger.

The video of the truck off-roading must have been Europe because the steering wheel wasn't on the right.

·
Registered
174 Posts
"I remember hearing about a car that is made somewhere in Europe that is getting amazing mileage with a small diesel engine. But the US will never see this amazing diesel because it doesn't pass our emission tests. Ridiculous."

I was told by a Honda salesman that in Europe Honda sells an Accord that is similar in size to the Civic with a 2.2L diesel that gets 72mpg. The engine may be introduced here in the states in 09 possibly followed by a 3.5L V6 diesel. Can you say diesel Ridgeline!
The reason we don't see many small diesels in the US is because Americans are not big fans of diesel engines except for large towing apps., but Honda is hoping to change our perception on that with clean hi-milage bio-diesel starting with their most popular vehicle the Accord.

I calculated that this Hi-Lux turbo diesel averaged over 26mpg. Would love to see that sold here in the US in a DC Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
You do have a point and I will agree, but you never know until you try right?
My buddy has been to 65 countries, he said his second favorite is New Zealand, his first is Egypt but only because of the history.

So if I won the lottery, I'd certainly give New Zealand a try, live there for a few years and decide.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts