Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some wheels and tires from the suburban I just got rid of that I'd like to put onto my 06 DC Tundra 4wd.

They are American Racing Wagon Wheels wearing 265/75r16's.
The center hub hole is big enough and the bolt pattern is the right size to fit.
The problem is that when I put the wheels on they rub on the front brake caliper. Not much, I probably need less than 1/8" to clear the rubbing. I dont really have the money to put into new rims and wheels right now and I'd like to put the steel wheels on before I break the alloy rims, which I seem to do alot.

On to the Question phase of our program...
1. How much clearance do you need between the wheel and the caliper?
2. I've thought of using spacers but never have before. Could this be the solution/ a problem?
3. I've also thought of grinding a groove into the backside of the steelies, but think that might be a bad idea for rebalancing.
4. Got any other ideas for me?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wagon wheels on a Tundra? I am sure they looked fine on a burban but on a Tundra; I don't know. Anyway not my truck.

The space between the wheel and the caliper just has to be enough so it does not touch. The caliper is a fixed type as apposed to one with a seperate bracket with guide pins. I would not do much grinding on the wheel and definitely none on the caliper. The problem with spacers is that the mounting hub on an aftermarket aluminum wheel is almost too thick to have enough threads for the lug nuts to hold on. But since you said your wheels are steel they usually have a thinner mounting suface so you may be able to get away with putting a spacer and still have enough threads to be safe. I cannot remember exactly but I think you want 8 full turns on the lug to be in the safe zone. Just go buy some spacers and test it out and if they don't work return them. You may have to get some factory steel wheels if you really want steel. You should be able to pick them up pretty cheap because most people try to get aluminum stock wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean, if money were not an option the wagon wheels would not be in my top 10 choices but for now I gotta do what I can with what I got. And I really do seem to need steel not alloy.

Thanks for the informative response.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn't grind the wheel - if you need 1/8", that's alot of thickness on a steel rim. Also - like you said - I would think balancing would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here's what had to do to fit 16x8 American Racing 767s;

Had to use a 1/4" spacer plate on the front to clear the brake caliper.

Went to Big O for new lugnuts bought the standard length in stock. They only had one depth in the thread I needed, 12x1.5.

Lugnuts were not deep enough so had to return them and order deeper lugnuts to fit for the rear wheels. Only took one day to get.

BFG AT KO's 265/75r16 fit fine, no rub with stock suspension, good clearance lock to lock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cool - glad everything worked out.
It worries me that your aftermarket 16" rim didn't clear - I'm looking for some used ones and I wonder how many others would have clerance problems too. Would be a bummer to buy a set and find out what you did! :eek: At least I'll know whatto do, though!:tu:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts