Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on this forum for a while, and have owned many Toyotas over the years. My last new Toyota was an 07 Tundra. After that truck, I decided to buy only used vehicles as they are better values and I enjoy them just as much. Had an 05 4Runner, 02 Sequoia and currently an 03 IS300. Spouse drives a 99 Solara.

All of these vehicles have had 90-100k miles on them when I bought them. The Sequoia, Solara and IS300 were all spotless and came with all records. Here is my question.... I am looking at a 2005 Tundra, 4x4, non TRD, double cab. Salsa red with Taupe interior. Has 165k miles. It is a one owner trade on a new Tundra.

I am going to go look at it today in person. The pics look super nice, and they were taken without even touching the truck. I can get it for $10,500.00 + TTL + doc fees. If I decide I want it, they will do a complete inspection and let me know what they find. They will fix anything safety related (ie brakes). If anything major comes back that is expensive to fix, we cancel the deal and it goes to a wholesaler.

Obviously, a vehicle with this mileage is not going to be perfect and its not going to be problem free. Alot will depend on how it has been maintained in the past. I pulled the records from Toyota, and pretty much nothing was there. Not even any warranty work. Just the ball joint recall. It is a one owner with clean carfax.

How concerned should I be with the mileage? I have never bought any vehicle with anything near those miles. Basically I would only keep this truck through the summer, and use it to tow my 15 foot boat.

Also, what do you think about the price? Private party good value is $12,700.00. Will I have any problems getting my money back out of this truck with these miles?

Thanks, Bret

·
Registered
756 Posts
you obviously know the chance your taking with that many miles just from the questions your asking. It sounds pretty steep to me. I would look around craigslist and some lots to get an idea of what a normal milage 05 is going for and then adjust. No records would worry me unless you knew the person and how they keep their truck. It is coming up on what should be the second timing belt. Good luck either way. I love my 05.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts