Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 1st Gen tundra 4.7 4x4 access cab which has given me very few problems .Have been looking at buying a second Gen Tundra .I have been doing plenty of reading but still undecided on which engine and tranny combo to buy.Seems like the 4.7 has a lot less issues than the 5.7 and the same can be said for the 6 speed tranny having more problems than 5 speed.Was this only in certain years of the 2nd gen?What other problems exist in the 2nd gen Tundras?Thanks for any info

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,283 Posts
I purchased / rescued a 2007 5.7L farm / work truck with 270,000 0n the odometer, I replaced the fuel pump and added a DAP tune. It now has 290,000 + and I would drive it anywhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased / rescued a 2007 5.7L farm / work truck with 270,000 0n the odometer, I replaced the fuel pump and added a DAP tune. It now has 290,000 + and I would drive it anywhere.
Nice.Wish i could find one like that.Seems like some are good forever and others seem to go through transmissions left and right.More than a few of the 5.7's i have been inquiring about are having overheating issues,oil cam leaks and quite a few blown up.Over $5000 for a used 5.7 up here in Canada and $2500 for a transmission

·
Registered
43 Posts
Long time lurker, very seldom poster.
I've owned my 2010 Tundra 5.7L since 2013. I have put about 75k miles on it. Somewhat under the average for mileage, but I can tell you my pain points with the truck over the past 7 years.

Cam Tower oil leak, passenger side at 45k. (covered by warranty)
Alternator went out at 70k (this was a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$ to fix. Have to go through the passenger wheel well).
Air Induction pumps went out at 82k (covered by warranty)
Timing cover oil leak at 85k ( $900 for the dealer to fix)
Map Sensor died at 95k (aftermarket replacement was $65 at AutoZone, easy fix)
Drivers side Power seat started 'popping' and moving on its own at 98k. (Fix was just to lock tight a few bolts, but took hours of diagnosing and removing stuff to figure out)
I have a feeling the rack and pinion are starting to wear out.

Of course, there are the normal consumable items too, brakes, tires, shocks, etc. But I have also done a lot of mods and upgrading to the truck too. they may have contributed to some of these issues. All in all, I'd say my experience is somewhat standard. My pals that have tundras have similar track records.

Compared to my previous truck, 09 Ram 2500, this is pretty mild. I've owned this truck longer than any other and I plan on keeping it....indefinitely, honestly. If Toyota ever releases the diesel, I'd sell it for that.

No regrets on this purchase. Flawless, no, not at all. Worth it? Absolutely. I trust my truck completely and there isn't anywhere or anything reasonable that I wouldn't go or do with it.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I am low on the miles I put on it but my 12 had a small leak at the water pump which was fixed under warranty and havent had a problem with it since. People dont come on here to say they have no problems with their truck, for the most part, they come on here to find out how to fix stuff. I have never heard of any of the 5.7's having tranny problems, overheating or blowing up issues etc. Cam tower leak-heard that one but have yet to hear of anyone who didnt get it fixed and it was a huge problem. Only thing I have heard is people say they get it fixed under warranty. So is it really that bad or just a dealers way of charging for a repair the truck doesnt really need? AIP's occasionally but those were also a problem on the Gen 1's. Other than that I havent really heard of a lot of big repeat problems with these trucks.
Where do you live Waybel that you are hearing about these issues?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i live in the Ottawa are.I have an ad on looking for 2nd gen tundra that could need repair.Another 5.7 one yesterday someone sent me if i was interested.It had an overheating problem .About 3 of them now with that issue,a couple with tranny blown or gears gone and more than a few with the cam tower leak ,timing chain problem.Sort of why i was leaning towards 4.7 .They just seem more reliable.Never had an issue with mine.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
When its break time at work I come on here just to pass the time so 3 times a day I am here and yes, seen the cam tower one sometimes but never the overheating or tranny stuff like i said. I have a 12 and 5 guys I know either own one now or did in the past few years and no one has said anything about any of that stuff. Weird how you are seeing that many just in one city.
I will probably be selling mine in the summer time, its flawless, why dont you come down and take it for a test drive. LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts